Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government seeks help to find partner for Air Jamaica

Monday, 17 March 2008

World renowned consultants, International Financial Group (IFG), has been contracted by the government to help the national airline find a financial partner.

Air Jamaica has been struggling with mounting debt and has cited divestment as a means of survival.

News emerged on Monday that the government is looking to sign a partner to help the airline in its bid to soar to success.

Since taking office last September, the government has been under mounting pressure to plug the haemorrhage of capital at the airline.

Late last year the government indicated that it was considering divesting the airline with Minister without Portfolio in the Finance Ministry Don Wehby leading the charge in the hunt for buyers.

ON Monday the airline's Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Paul Pennicooke, told RJR News that the International Financial Group has been asked to find a partner.

IFG's website said it works with client companies from more than 80 countries on board practices, shareholder rights, the internal control environment, transparency and disclosure.

Mr. Pennicooke said the airline hopes the new partner will pump much needed capital into the struggling entity.

The airline also disclosed that restructuring the airline, which could result in much dreaded layoffs, remains on the cards.

Air Jamaica's Chairman Shirley Williams declined to give details of the restructuring programme in deference to an agreement with the workers' union.

But she told RJR News she has been holding a series of meetings with staff on the issue.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Lazie, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the govt. say that there were several interested airlines at one point ready to take over or partner Air Jamaica? What happened?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Lazie, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the govt. say that there were several interested airlines at one point ready to take over or partner Air Jamaica? What happened?!
      Yes they did.

"What happened?"

Asking me to make an assumption here. I don't know.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Are you paraphrasing ??

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Chorus: Yes! Wah appen?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

Chorus: Yes! Wah appen?
            The timetable for bringing in a partner is MArch 2009. Suh hold a seat.

Comment

Wait.. why yuh suh happy ?

Suppose dem back wheh after dem due-diligence or terms disagreement ?

Nuh bad ting dat ?

Comment

they said they were going to let a firm within the industry deal with it to make sure they are selling to the right partner.

I hope that is what they are doing. In the meantime Shirley Williams them a try sure up the losses to make it attractive, I hope them nuh come back to taxpayers bout them want nuh more hundred of millions of dollars.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  The timetable for bringing in a partner is MArch 2009. Suh hold a seat.
                  OooooK!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yuh getting too technical...

Clearly this latest move indicates that they have not received expression of interest from 4 entities for partnership.... right ?

Di komrade dem nah guh mek it past year 2.. dem too jumpy.

Comment

Yuh too jumpy.. what happen, di 18 years nevah mellow yuh out ?

Comment

Working...
                      X