• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian delivers lesson to York Castle High

(Nice work Deon)

Olympian delivers lesson to York Castle High

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Determination, focus and faith in oneself were recently cited as the pathways to success by Deon Hemmings-McCatty, recipient of the 2005 Courtney Walsh Award for Excellence, and a 1996 Olympic gold medallist.

Hemmings-McCatty was speaking to students at her alma mater, York Castle High School in Brown's Town last Monday.
    Deon Hemmings-McCatty (right), 2005 winner of the Courtney Walsh Award for Excellence, signs autographs for students at her alma mater, York Castle High School, following her motivational talk to them last Monday. The talk was organised by the CHASE Fund, hosts of the Courtney Walsh Award, to encourage students to strive for excellence.
    Motivating her young audience with an "I can do it too" chant, she shared her own experiences of self-doubt and challenging hurdles on her path to Olympic Gold.

"It was not an easy road, but despite many disappointments, determination and focus helped me to achieve my goals," she said.
    Hemmings-McCatty recalled her athletic attempts to compete at Girls' Champs while at York Castle and her failure to make it past the first round, and overcoming jeering when she moved to Vere Technical High.
    "I was called names like the 'Bench Captain' as I was always the reserve at track meets. Then I was called "Stiffy Dread" because of the stiff way that I ran. Throughout all this, I continued to aim higher," said the Olympic gold medallist.

Hemmings-McCatty encouraged the students to avoid the fear of failure as there was no shortcut to anything good in life. She implored them to avoid people who walk the shady side of the law or who display gross and deviant behaviour.

"These are not the ones to emulate. There are more sustainable goals in life, and people who will give you the support you need," she said.
    She noted that her own mentor, Pat Anderson, had been of tremendous help to her, paving the way for her to excel on the sporting scene by guiding her through many struggles so that she could achieve a sound education and at the same time hone her gift as an athlete.

"My tears came on as I accepted a gold medal for my performance in the 400-metre hurdles in the Atlanta stadium because of the men and women who helped me on this path to Olympic Gold, and the pride I had for my country," Hemmings-McCatty said. "Success is achieved with hard work and a lot of faith in yourself. You have to aim high or you may never come near to the top of your chosen field of endeavour. If you can dream it, you can do it."

She also credited her home parish St Ann for her success, noting that the rural environment had helped to develop her physical and personal character.

"Roaming the fields looking for mangoes and other fruits taught us athletes dexterity and body control, and our steady diet of cornmeal porridge, freshly reaped ground provisions, vegetables added to the clean, fresh air," she said.

"Success and fame are only for a short time; but what people will remember most about you is not only how many gold medals you have won, but your character," she told students.

The talk was organised by the CHASE Fund, hosts of the Courtney Walsh Award for Excellence to encourage students to strive for excellence.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X