RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White America? Obama and his pastor-mentor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White America? Obama and his pastor-mentor?

by Jay @ 3:25 pm on March 14, 2008.
    Obama finally addresses the topic of his racist preacher’s hate filled remarks.
    Q: I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but it’s all over the wire today (from an ABC News story), a statement that your pastor (the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago’s South Side) made in a sermon in 2003 that instead of singing “God Bless America,” black people should sing a song essentially saying “God Damn America.”
    A: I haven’t seen the line. This is a pastor who is on the brink of retirement who in the past has made some controversial statements. I profoundly disagree with some of these statements.
    Q: What about this particular statement?
    A: Obviously, I disagree with that. Here is what happens when you just cherry-pick statements from a guy who had a 40-year career as a pastor. There are times when people say things that are just wrong. But I think it’s important to judge me on what I’ve said in the past and what I believe.
    Sorry! Not enough. Did he quit his church over the remarks? Not hardly. He’ll be taking his kids back soon enough. Oh well, distancing himself only brings the question of why he didn’t distance himself earlier. If he doesn’t think this is going to effect things, he should think again. Mark my words. If he continues with his weak responses, this will be the nail that does him in.
    Ed Morrissey:
    Cherry-pick? Perhaps Senator Obama can explain the context that would justify “God damn America” and the accusation that America created HIV. That dog won’t hunt.
    Paul Mirengoff:
    Several points come to mind. First, the “things [Obama] believes” (and should be “judged” on) include the following: Pastor Wright should be his spiritual leader; Pastor Wright’s church should receive a substantial amount of money from Obama; Obama’s children should, at an impressionable age, be exposed to Pastor Wright’s sermons, as opposed to less hateful religion instruction they could receive elsewhere.
    Second, Obama is still defending Wright, and very lamely (Wright’s “on the brink of retirement;” he’s made “some controversial statements” in the past; his statements are being “cherry picked”). Wright wasn’t near retirement in 2001 when he blamed 9/11 on the U.S; nor was he near retirement in 2003 when he said God should “damn America.” And the statements at issue aren’t merely “controversial” or “just wrong”; they are deplorable.
    MacRanger:
    No one - unless they are a brain-dead moron - would sit five minutes under Wright’s racist and anti-american rantings without walking out. Barak has sat there for twenty years. That’s not distancing oneself, it’s complicity.
    KT Cat:
    Were his children going to Sunday School here? If so, he can no longer distance himself from Rev. Wright’s lunacy. How can you distance yourself from the church that you rely on to give your children moral teaching? It just doesn’t make any sense at all to claim that Barack disagreed with some of the sermons, but kept going anyway. Rev. Wright is clearly a toxic nut. You wouldn’t put your children anywhere near him unless you didn’t mind what he was saying.
    Even Andrew Sullivan is on the same page:
    Nonetheless, Obama needs to be much more forceful and candid in explaining his relationship with Wright. I’m a little leery of getting in between a man and his minister - it’s not unlike the lawyer-client relationship in some ways. And, goodness knows, I have had many a priest with whom I have disagreed or even found offensive. But like many people, I wouldn’t sit through one of these sermons, let alone come back for more. And it would be helpful, to say the very least, if Obama told us more candidly why he did and does.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Karl, lets wait to see how he handles it today. So far it is the worst defense I have heard a candidate make against a serious attack. Its almost as if he didn't expect it, or got so arrogant in the Obama-mania that he thought he could make it go away with one statement.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

But mi nuh unnastan... there is a theory that HIV was created in American (the american military research arm is quite capable of this).. AND many people believe and can argue that America's foreign policy resulted in 9-11.

ALSO there is an argument for God Damn America.. they have earned it from a black perpective.

But these are political stances.. preacher probably should keep his politics outside of the church, but I am sure a large part of his ministry involves other issues.

These are left-wing liberal statements.. Obama must leave him church because him Black pastor is left-wing liberal ?

Suh what happen when Right-Wing preacher seh dem must assasinate Chavez ?

Comment

Are you arguing that the preacher has some valid arguments from a black perspective? Of course he does!! But Obama is not running for president of the NAACP, he is running for president of the USA. That is the problem.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Duh! I wonder why Maudib can't get it! Well, ah not really wondering.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No the heat is on. He shun the Black state of America meeting and now ditch the pastor?

A so suh black people a look pon it now. Him inna a bind cause certain civil right activists never too inna him corner.

Have anybody hear any of the "black leaders" comment on this?
            Them quiet eeeeehhhhh?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Um..no I am arguing that the preacher has some valid arguments BECAUSE of his black perspective.

If america is tuh better itself it must acknowledge its sins and then seek to address them.. sound like certain people in denial.

Comment

Yuh nuh learn yet ?

Always falling into di trap..

Comment

In this case the "certain people" in denial are the millions of white voters that will determine the next US president.

If Obama can get them to understand the perspective of Wright then he will win this race going away. That is not an easy thing to do, thats why it has never been done.

Comment

Wi soon si if is REAL change wi looking at here..

The Audacity of Hope indeed !

Comment

Get yuh! Not sure yuh undastan Islandman.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh right.. mi OVAHstand him.

Comment

It's not often that I agree with you without reservation but this is one of those times. I think you are 100% correct and for the life of me I cant see why others don't get it.

Comment

Maudib talking sense. But is di same Maudib who seem to back everyting dat (white) America does.

Someting nah add up!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

di same Maudib whe call di forum "dead hood slaves"?

mek him move him b&^*mbcloth!...

tthat said wasn't there a story in the mid 90's that the US government played a major role in the Freeway Rickie drug trade... I believe one of the agencies had to apologise..
                              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
                              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X