Controversial minister off Obama's campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial minister off Obama's campaign

A Chicago minister who delivered a fiery sermon about Sen. Hillary Clinton having an advantage over Sen. Barack Obama in the presidential race because she is white is no longer a part of the Obama campaign.

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright is no longer serving on the African American Religious Leadership Committee, campaign sources told CNN.

In another sermon, Wright had said America had brought the September 11 attacks upon itself.

Obama denounced some of Wright's sermons on Friday, telling CNN's Anderson Cooper: "These are a series of incendiary statements that I can't object to strongly enough."

Earlier Friday, before the announcement of Wright's departure from the Obama camp, the Illinois senator denounced some of the ministers's sermons, calling them "inflammatory and appalling."

"I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies," Obama wrote on the liberal Web site Huffingtonpost.com about recently surfaced sermons from Wright -- his longtime pastor at the Trinity United Church of Christ.

Don't Miss
    Michigan revote proposed for June
    Clinton apologizes to black voters
    Election Center 2008
    "I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit," Obama continued. "In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue."

Obama, during the CNN interview, said, "I just don't think it's necessary to talk about Senator Clinton or anybody in those terms." Watch Obama on CNN respond to sermons »

And, even though he has been a member of Trinity United for the past 20 years, Obama said he had never witnessed Wright making such statements.

"Had I heard those statements in the church, I would have told Reverend Wright that I profoundly disagree with them," Obama said, adding, "What I have been hearing and had been hearing in church was talk about Jesus and talk about faith and values and serving the poor."

The sermons in question became the subject of scrutiny earlier this week after being highlighted in an ABC News report.

At one December service, Wright argued Clinton's road to the White House is considerably easier than Obama's because of his skin color.

"Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single parent home. Barack was," Wright says in a video of the sermon posted on YouTube. "Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary! Hillary ain't never been called a '************************!' Hillary has never had her people defined as a non-person." Watch Wright berate Clinton from the pulpit »

Wright, who retired from his post earlier this year, also says in the video, "Who cares about what a poor black man has to face every day in a country and in a culture controlled by rich white people?"

Still, Obama defended his 20-year relationship with Wright, saying that the pastor has served him in a spiritual role -- not a political one.

A sermon from Wright shortly after the September 11, 2001, terrorism attacks is also under scrutiny. In it he said America had brought on the attacks with its own practice of terrorism.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," he said. "We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant. Because the stuff we have done overseas has now brought right back into our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

In his statement Friday, Obama said he had not personally heard the controversial sermons.

"When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments," Obama wrote. "But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church."

And in a 2003 sermon, Wright said of America's treatment of African-Americans: "The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people."God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

Obama and Wright have been close for years. Obama has been a member of Wright's church since his days in law school, and Obama's best-selling book, "The Audacity of Hope," takes its title from one of Wright's sermons.

But Obama also has long maintained he is at odds with some of Wright's sermons, and has likened him to an "old uncle" who sometimes will say things Obama doesn't agree with. He has also specifically denounced Wright's 9/11 comments.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Damn ... suh what now? Lets focus on his wife.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Damn ... suh what now? Lets focus on his wife.

She is one damn good high powered inspirational speaker. ...and does she use it for her husband's good!

Listened to her last night on C-Span and trus me she sounds better than Obama and makes more sense!

Ooooh?
      Just like Bill Clinton is a target! ...so is she!
      Fair is fair!

Now if they would just give Obama and Michelle as much hell as they give Hillary and Bill then all would be fair!
      Last edited by Karl; March 17, 2008, 10:11 PM.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        She is one damn good high powered inspriational speaker. ...and does she use it for her husband's good!

Listened to her last night on C-Span and trus me she sounds better than Obama and makes more sense!

Ooooh?
        Fair is fair!

Now if they would just give Obama and Michelle as much hell as they give Hillary and Bill then all would be fair!
        Then start it nuh? Wait .. isn't it jokers like you waiting with a 2 for 1 coupon? Hillary constantly make reference to her experience ... she was never president ... its clear she is banking on Bill .. her husband. He has gone out there on the attack ... suh of course him must get bitchslaped.

Comment

I like Wright. He speaks the truth.

I also like Obama for not kicking him to the curb just because a few (or many) whites might be upset. It might cost him the White House, but he gets my respect.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Then start it nuh? Wait .. isn't it jokers like you waiting with a 2 for 1 coupon? Hillary constantly make reference to her experience ... she was never president ... its clear she is banking on Bill .. her husband. He has gone out there on the attack ... suh of course him must get bitchslaped.
            Cho!
            Mi talk bout di unfairness suh til!

...now did you see Michelle Obama on the stump!
            Let me hear you views?

As mi seh in JA parlance - she bad nuh r@#$$!
            She is that good!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

He "kicked" him as much as he could without looking like a total hypocrite.

Clearly he knew the kind of sermons he preached so this "I wasn't there that Sunday, I am shocked" excuse is a little lame. But its the best he could do under the circumstances.

We have not nearly heard the end of this. Apparently the Republicans are analyzing all of his sermon tapes and Obama will be hard-pressed to say he wasn't there for all of the controversial ones.

The "good" thing for the Democrats is that this happened before the ticket has been finalized, so if it really blows up in his face before June the superdelegates stil lhave the option of going with Hillary.

I thought it was going to stay under wraps until he won the nomination. The two big cards against Obama have at least been played partially now, so the argument that he has not been tested is no longer as relevant.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yuh know who bad? Chelsea Clinton! Great public speaker! She is doing the rounds on behalf of her mother and is doing a great job!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah going to the church for 20 years don't tell me him nuh hear none a them sermon deh and if you is a regular churchman you ask your brethren "what pastor said today?". I hope he can shrug it off but them a go try build on it and then with what Michelle said about "the first time she feel proud of America" or something like that don't make it easier.

That saying look for the race get real nasty as the Obama team have to throw some punches now.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

bill and hilary have FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more issues to targget than obama....WAAAAAAAAAAYYY more.....from flowers, to jones to lweinsky to whitewater to S&L scandal, to the suicide of thet fellow....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      She is one damn good high powered inspriational speaker. ...and does she use it for her husband's good!

Ooooh?
                      Fair is fair!

I agree she is indeed much better than Barack!

Comment

When mi tell people that mi a support Barrack because of our history and struggle and the fact that I am sure I will live to vote for another white person them vex, but I have heard Hillary talk policies and seems to have a edge doing it.

Borack however is a motivator, I don't know about uniter as they are making him out to be because when the race over and the go back a Washington EVERBODY draw a line in the sand.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          bill and hilary have FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more issues to targget than obama....WAAAAAAAAAAYYY more.....from flowers, to jones to lweinsky to whitewater to S&L scandal, to the suicide of thet fellow....
                          Cho!
                          ...dat a nutten!

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                            I agree she is indeed much better than Barack!
                            Yuh saw her tuh!
                            ...man dat his waan hin-ter-rest-ing lady! ...even facinating lady...
                            ...im lucky bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              He "kicked" him as much as he could without looking like a total hypocrite.

Clearly he knew the kind of sermons he preached so this "I wasn't there that Sunday, I am shocked" excuse is a little lame. But its the best he could do under the circumstances.

We have not nearly heard the end of this. Apparently the Republicans are analyzing all of his sermon tapes and Obama will be hard-pressed to say he wasn't there for all of the controversial ones.

The "good" thing for the Democrats is that this happened before the ticket has been finalized, so if it really blows up in his face before June the superdelegates stil lhave the option of going with Hillary.

I thought it was going to stay under wraps until he won the nomination. The two big cards against Obama have at least been played partially now, so the argument that he has not been tested is no longer as relevant.
                              Yuh memba wah mi did seh - Obama is too definitive with his denials. The man is a bold face liar...and if the media gives him the "Clinton treatment" he goes up in smoke.

I said it here that I was afraid that the democrats were being set up for November.

Remember that nonsense they were preaching about "we would love to run against Hillary"?

November is when the Republican spin machine - Newt Gringidge types, the Pat Roberson types and the Rush Limbaugh types - will come out of the woodwork and to crucify Obama.

Remember that - "Obama is new. We know nothing about him and do not know how to run against him"? "He is a difficult proposition". "We are wary of him"??? Nonsense! The Republicans want Obama! They are licking their chops!

It would be a crime if McCain wins the presidency!

Comment

Working...
                              X