X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Fluorescents Crack

What to do when compact fluorescents crack

Email|Print| Text size – + February 26, 2008
    Compact fluorescent lamps contain small amounts of toxic mercury that can vaporize when the bulbs break, creating a potential health risk for infants, young children, and pregnant women. If a lamp does break, follow these cleanup procedures:
    more stories like this

Keep people and pets away. Open windows, and leave the area for 15 minutes before beginning the cleanup.
    Do not use a vacuum cleaner, even on a carpet. This will spread the mercury vapor and dust and potentially contaminate the vacuum.
    Wear rubber gloves.
    Carefully remove the larger pieces and place them in a secure closed container, preferably a glass jar with a metal screw top lid and seal like a canning jar.
    Next, scoop up the smaller pieces and dust using two stiff pieces of paper such as index cards or playing cards.
    Pick up fine particles with duct tape, packing tape, or masking tape, and then use a wet wipe or damp paper towel.
    Put all waste into the glass container, including all material used in the cleanup. Remove the container from your home and call your local solid waste district or municipality for disposal instructions.
    Continue ventilating the room for several hours.
    Wash your hands and face.
    As a precaution, consider discarding throw rugs or the area of carpet where the breakage occurred, particularly if the rug is in an area frequented by infants, small children or pregnant women. Otherwise, open windows during the next several times you vacuum the carpet to provide good ventilation.SOURCES: Maine Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management; Mercury Policy Project

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Damn!
    Never knew that...never even thought about there being a problem here.

Been through this 'breakage' in the room my grand-daughters use and sure cleaned up after them immediately I became aware of it...and I used the vaccuum too. I thought to be sure I got rid of all dangers. (Was thinking of splinters only )
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

From me was a boy I was told that fluorescents, at least the powder stuff in them, was carcinogenic. (Well, they said "cause cancer" then!) Wasn't aware of any vapours though!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X