X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Stearns & Harmony Cove?

British billionaire Joseph Lewis rebounds in Bear Stearns

Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 4:00 AM

British billionaire Joseph Lewis, who controls more than 170 companies, is betting on a rebound in Bear Stearns stock - putting up $860 million to acquire 7% of the Wall Street giant.

Lewis, who runs Florida-based investment vehicle Tavistock Group and is a resident of the Bahamas, said his huge purchase is solely an investment.

It was unclear if Lewis planned on adding to it. The company has been the subject of takeover speculation because of its recent troubles.
    Bear Stearns shares have fallen about 30% since the beginning of the year amid worries related to the crisis in the mortgage markets.

The nation's fifth-largest investment bank was slammed after it disclosed earlier this summer that two hedge funds it managed were rendered all but worthless after wrong-way subprime mortgage bets.

Lewis disclosed he bought 8.1 million shares between Aug. 6 and Sept. 7. That would make him the investment bank's largest shareholder, assuming no others have made big changes in their positions.

The investment would top Putnam Investment Management's 6% stake and Bear Stearns CEO Jimmy Cayne's 5.8% holding.

Joe Lewis/related parties have lost probably close to or more than US1B (he bought this stake @ around $107/share) on this Bear Stearns bet (he had subsequent to this report raised his stake to 8%).

Question for Jamaica: how will this affect the Harmony Cove development?
    Last edited by Karl; March 17, 2008, 08:22 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Good question. I don't think a word has been uttered about that planned development since Sept. 3.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What a hell of a loss. They were just bought by JP Morgan for $2 a share

Comment

What dem say about the easiest way to make a small fortune? Start with a large fortune. LOL
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
          What a hell of a loss. They were just bought by JP Morgan for $2 a share
          That $2.00 per share price was a shocker to me. My brother called and told me and had to ask him if he was sure he was not making a mistake.
          Damn!

...next - domino effect through to a retail bank?
          Citi-Bank?

*Word on CNN Lehman Bros 'sinking'...exact words "off ....".
          Last edited by Karl; March 17, 2008, 10:50 AM.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

you think it all related to Cheney going to Iraq?

What is the president saying?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              *Word on CNN Lehman Bros 'sinking'...exact words "off ....".
              Huh!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Huh!?
                ...didn't hear exactly how much "off". Was distracted by phone call!
                Sure we'll hear again before the end of the day!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Huh!?
                  Lewis Carroll strikes again?
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                  X