Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikey Dread, gone from the control

Mikey Dread, gone from the control
    Hailed as one of reggae greatest innovatorsBy Basil Walters Observer staff reporter
    Sunday, March 16, 2008

Radio disc jock Mikey Dread is dead. He succumbed to a brain tumour late yesterday afternoon at his family home in Connecticut, USA at the age of 54. Born Michael Campbell in Port Antonio, Jamaica, he distinguished himself as an extraordinary studio engineer and presenter at the now defunct Jamaica Broadcasting Corporation (JBC) where he came to prominence in the 1970s as "The Dread-the-Control Tower", the name of the late night show he presented at a time when reggae music was scoffed at by many.

Mikey Dread... hailed as one of reggae's greatest innovators

One of reggae's greatest innovators and original radio engineers/technicians, the past student of Titchfield High School, in

2006 celebrated the 30th anniversary of the night programme which he started at the JBC, and revolutionised the after midnight shift making it into the most popular slot on radio, by playing strictly dub music. This innovation is seen by many musicologists as the antecedence of dancehall as we now know it.

Upon leaving the JBC, Mikey Dread ventured into recording and scored with a number of releases such as Weatherman Skanking in combination with Ray I, Barber Saloon, Love the Dread, as well as albums such as Dread at the Control, Evolutionary Rockers and World War III. Over time he attracted the attention of British punk rockers, The Clash, who invited him to produce some of their music, the most famous of which is their single Bankrobber, and contributed to several songs on their 1980 album, Sandinista. Mikey Dread also toured with The Clash across Britain, wider Europe and the US.

He also worked closely with producer Trevor Elliot to launch musical career of singer Edi Fitzroy, who was then an accountant at the JBC. As the news of his passing surfaced yesterday, the Sunday Observer got comments from a number of persons in the media and the music fraternity, all of whom hailed Mikey Dread as a significant contributor to the development of Jamaican music. "His (Mikey Dread's) work, is not only national or regional, but also international," former JBC's journalist Leslie Miles noted. "It spanned the world scene and made Mikey a pioneer broadcaster for playing dub music, and also redefined aspects of radio, especially night time radio" Miles, who is now head of news at Bess FM, also spoke of the struggle Mikey Dread faced at the conservative JBC.

Music consultant Colin Leslie pointed out that the consequence of the "fight" he received from the management was putting him on at night, but that backfired.

"Remember he is a Portlander, so I always appreciated the fact that we shared the same alma mater (Titchfield High School), that is something I've always cherished and I hold him in high esteem. Although he was ahead of my era, he was somebody who laid an awesome foundation and was very unique and highly respected," was how Richard "Richie B" Burgess of Hot 102, remembered Mikey Dread.

"We were at JBC together, and in those days when he started at the JBC dreads weren't popular on the air. The powers that be in management really gave him a fight," Ali McNab told the Sunday Observer.

"Michael Campbell, is someone who revolutionised radio in Jamaica when there was still an anti-Jamaican sentiment regarding music and culture. In terms of the emerging dancehall, it was Mikey Dread who popularised it on radio. Although it was late night, he still managed to popularise dancehall music and bring it to the masses," was the perspective of Dennis Howard who also worked on JBC Radio, in the post-Mikey Dread era.

And Irie FM's disc jockey, GT Taylor hailed the late Mikey Dread as a role model. "Reggae music in Jamaica, owes a lot that that brother. He was one man who stood up for reggae in the early '70s, bringing the music to the forefront. He is one of my inspirations."

Veteran singer Freddie McGregor attested to the fact that "Mikey Dread was one of the persons fighting the struggle for reggae music. Mikey and I did a lot of shows together over the years. A wonderful brethren".
    Last edited by Karl; March 16, 2008, 03:48 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Mikey dread the man who singlehandedly land Reggae in our living rooms. The man was a giant, there were other good engineers like Mikey White, Ralph Mckenzie, and Norman Marsh but none was even close to Mikey Dread.

His distinct style was there and even when working with top annoncers his skills can through crystal clear. His trademark jingles and engineering skills.

Not to mention his recording career which stand tall by itself and the fact that he did a lot of work with Musical Youths, UB40 etc.

Big up Mikey Dread

Long live your works.
    condolenses to the family
    I hope JBC still have the archieves.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

There was another bredda at JBC who used to play even more wikkid reggae music dan di whole a dem. I believe his name was Brown, UB or someting like dat. I would stay awake or get up at around 3 or 4 in di morning fi set my tape recorder and listen!

Yuh know a who mi a talk bout?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi a try remember. I know Mikey Campbell, Mikey White, and Norman Marsh you to come on inna them time deh. Mi a try remember the name. Mi surprise mi still remember them name deh.

A O.B. Owen Brown? Mickey Campbell was the pioneer still as the man started it.

Those were the days. Them thing coulda sell fi nuff money yah now inna the proper market and the youngster them coulda learn a thing or two.
        Pity we treat our treasures so awfull and don't realise what we had.

Comment

Yes I!! Owen Brown!!! Well, perhaps Mikey was the pioneer, but I think OB took it to another level. 4 o'clock in the morning was the best reggae possible!

Thanks for remembering! Shady Pines soon reach mi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            "Michael Campbell, is someone who revolutionised radio in Jamaica when there was still an anti-Jamaican sentiment regarding music and culture. In terms of the emerging dancehall, it was Mikey Dread who popularised it on radio. Although it was late night, he still managed to popularise dancehall music and bring it to the masses," was the perspective of Dennis Howard who also worked on JBC Radio, in the post-Mikey Dread era.
            this is exactly my sentiments... i used to stay up late with me tape recorder for 'the dread at the controls'... mikey campbell singlehandedly made reggae cool to listen...

And Irie FM's disc jockey, GT Taylor hailed the late Mikey Dread as a role model. "Reggae music in Jamaica, owes a lot that that brother. He was one man who stood up for reggae in the early '70s, bringing the music to the forefront. He is one of my inspirations."
            agree with gt taylor... he was inspiring... reggae music definitely is indebted to 'the dread at the control'...

my sincere condolence to his family...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

yuh mad... nubody cudda play tunes like mikey campbell... ob come afta mikey campbell... mikey campbell jimgles alone wudda dun ob... not taking anything away from ob still...

mikey campbell used to work with winston williams too... that was the wikidess combination...

Comment

mikey campbell put jbc infront of rjr in those days... he made jbc...

Comment

RIP Mikey, mi too
                  like talk bout death.My personal thing dat.

Comment

dag! can i have a personal preference?!? shheeet!

I think the reason I preferred OB was OB never chat during his show, so you could set the tape recorder and leave it and have di best tape di next day, one dat everybody want a dub offa!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

lol... you're entitled to your personal preference... mikey dread never chat during his show eida... only winston williams... lol... i remember he used to sign off with shalom kings and queens... great memories...

Comment

Ites, green and gold. Jamdung roll when a dread ah di control!!

RIP Mikey.
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Listen very interesting interview with The Dread at the Controls.. He should make all the Titchfield Ites proud. http://www.ireggae.com/mikeydread.htm

Comment

Can't figet Mikey always a make the frequent Portie trips with his little White Ford Cortina and stop to chat with us as Titchfield students.

Last saw him about 2000 at a Titchfield reunion in Florida. We had a good chat and he was always a cool guy who would reason with anyone. I have a very good friend who is close to the dread, have to give her a link.

Comment

thanks OJ. For all the people interested in Music this is a must read article.

Made my day. I wonder what became of the Titchfield radio station because when I got there it was no more.

How short sighted are we?

Comment

Working...
                              X