False Start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Start!

Promoters of after Champs parties may lose millions after the St Andrew Central police declared they would not be granting any permits for these events.

Puma's 'Finish Line' and 'Up to the Line' are two major events for which permits have been denied. The police believe that violent clashes are likely to erupt among students at these events as this has happened over the years.

When contacted, Deputy Superintendent McArthur Sutherland, officer in charge of crime at the St Andrew Central Division, could not confirm which parties were banned, and if any had been given the go ahead. He also said the officers would be out in full force on Saturday night.

Proactive dealings

He told THE STAR: "I'll be going out there on Saturday night. We'll be on the street from very early, so as to prevent anything from starting, much more to get under way in the night. If no permission is given, they will have to desist.

"We are going to deal with it proactively, rather than going there when the dance is full, which could cause a hostile reaction."

Promoter for Up To The Line, Michael Powell, says he did not know the permit he applied for a month ago had been denied until Monday afternoon when he went to the division.

He said millions of dollars had been invested in the event and he had commitments to his sponsors. However, he is still optimistic about hosting the event.

"I have been in dialogue with the division and I will be there for a meeting tomorrow," said Powell.

Though not sure of the full reason for the denial, Powell says he believes the police's concern is security. He says he is also concerned about it and has put in place several measures to ensure the safety of his patrons.

Issue of location

He believes that the location should not be an issue as it will be held at the Limelight Club in Half-Way-Tree, which is not a residential area.

Powell plans to appeal to the commissioner of police but if that fails, he will be heading to court.

In the case of Maurice Williams who promotes Puma's Finish Line, he found out about the denial only last Thursday. He says he has already contacted the commissioner's office and is waiting for a response.

"If they have something like this planned, why wait until the week of the event to do this?" questioned Williams.

Williams says it is unfair that their requests have been denied, as other events in areas covered by the St Andrew Central Division have been given permission.

When THE STAR contacted entertainment lawyer Ronald Young yesterday, he advised that the promoters try to have a meeting with the police as it is not too late.

"If they have put on these events and have a reputation for being incident free they should get in dialogue with the police," said Young.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Now .. ketch the hypocrisy

Ready, set, FIGHT! - Cops prepare for Champs war

Dwayne Mcleod, Staff Reporter

With the 2008 GraceKennedy Boy's and Girl's Championships slated to begin today, the police are bracing for clashes that may occur between students from rival schools.

Deputy Superintendent McArthur Sutherland, crime chief for the St Andrew Central Division, said they have maintained presence in the Half-Way Tree area, anticipating clashes between certain schools.

"...There will be police presence in and around Half-Way Tree. We already have measures in place," the crime chief told THE STAR.

Checks by the newspaper revealed that some students are arming themselves in anticipation of being attacked.

Over the years, clashes among rival schools, including, Calabar, Kingston College (KC) and Jamaica College (JC), have become almost commonplace.

On February 28, security personnel were forced to quell clashes between students from KC and Calabar.

The fight, which occurred at the Half-Way Tree Transport Centre, involved a number of boys from both schools. THE STAR understands that some of the boys from Calabar were taken to the Half-Way Tree Police Station where they were cautioned and sent home.

A KC student was reportedly injured after he was hit with a T-square.

Upon visiting Half-Way Tree recently, students spoke openly of the situation, claiming they are ready for "anything".

"Yo anyting a anyting eno mi don. Yu tink me ago mek nuh bway rush me an do me nutten jus suh? Me haffi defen myself," a 16-year-old student explained.

Rule of engagement

He, then, went on to explain that his stance on the matter is simply a reflection of what his fellow schoolmates are thinking.

Another student, who was armed with a knife, made similar statements before noting that he was not scared as he has been through it before.

"A every year thing this. This come in like any other day, so me know how fi handle myself," he said, adding "plus mi neva lef mi knife."

While DSP Sutherland could not confirm the seizure of any weapon so far, he noted the police will be making their checks and will be taking a zero tolerance where knives are concerned.

"We know the students have their knives and thing. Last year, we took a knife from a student that was four to five inches long which he hid in his tie," DSP Sutherland said. "In addition to the bus centre, we have covert and overt officers at spots like the Limelight club, because they enjoy those places."

Meanwhile, the Constabulary Communication Network yesterday released a statement advising the ban of certain items.

The advisory stated that no firearms, knives, large igloos and glass bottles will be allowed inside the National Stadium and all persons will be subject to being searched at the event.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Now, shouldn't they just simply ban champs as well? I don't get it. More people gonna be at the stadium than any of the sessions .... but ....

Comment

Working...
      X