We are walking a very dangerous road, we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are walking a very dangerous road, we

may joke about it but this thing is serious.

It's true that seeing the regular cops walking aruound with M16s is sort of intimidating (to foreigners at least) but what of the timing. Is it the right time to take these weapons from the cops? Did we disarm the criminals with high powered weapons? Are we now sending the signal that cops are now weakened, hence you can run a turf all by yourself (seeing that you have heavier fire power) Who can decent, defenceless law abiding citizens call? I always believe that a show of force was a good deterrent for hardened criminals.

Are we slowly slipping into theat Somalia mode; where the cops cannot patrol certain areas hence it's up to a warlord to maintain the peace?

Case in point:

Gunmen terrorise Ramble residents
    published: Thursday | March 13, 2008

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Western Bureau:
    The controversy surrounding the new Royale Rest Cemetery in Burnt Ground, Hanover, appears to have taken another twist on Tuesday night when gunmen shot up several houses in the area following a meeting between residents and Health and Environment Minister Rudyard Spencer.
    According to reports reaching The Gleaner, about 9:00 p.m. Tuesday, unknown gunmen invaded the Shettlewood community and shot up several homes, injuring one person in the process. A young woman who got caught in the melee was reportedly abducted by the gunmen and taken away and raped.
    "It would appear that some people did not like the fact that we had a good meeting with the minister," said East Hanover Member of Parliament, Dr D.K. Duncan, who was in attendance at the meeting. Duncan has been supporting the residents' position. "What happened here shows clearly what we are up against," he said.
    Delapenha's Funeral Home has distanced itself from the shooting incidents. When contacted yesterday for a response to the shootings, Marcia Delapenha, a director at the funeral home, told The Gleaner that, "All we know is what we have heard on the radio. We were not invited to the meeting and we were not there."
    The police have not made a link between the meeting and the shootings but said the matter was being investigated.
    Report incomplete and flawed
    In the meeting held at the Shettlewood Baptist Church, residents reportedly told Spencer that the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) report, which was presented to him by National Environmental Planning Agency (NEPA), which he signed off on in January, was both incomplete and flawed. The EIA effectively gave the operators of the cemetery, Delapenha Funeral Home, clearance to start burying bodies at Royale Rest.
    While congratulating the residents for what he said was their "commitment in defending what you believed in", the health minister made it quite clear that "I am not here to argue about who is right and who is wrong but to listen to and address your concerns."
    However, as many probing questions came his way, Minister Spencer explained that because the issue was before the court, as a result of an application filed in the Supreme Court by the Ramble Community Development Committee (CDC) seeking leave for a judicial review of the NEPA decision to grant a permit for the cemetery, he was not at liberty to discuss some of the issues.
    "I would have preferred if there was a negotiated settlement but that is not to be because the matter is before the court," Spencer told the residents, who have solicited the service of several noted attorneys and geologists to help bolster their case. "However, if you want me to deal with it then you know what you will have to do."
    Ambleton Wray, the chairman of the Ramble CDC said: "We will have a meeting later this week to look at the pros and cons of the decision now facing us and take a decision as to what course of action will follow. Our ultimate aim is to have a peaceful resolution of this situation." With tension now running high in the 30 communities surrounding the cemetery, there is now an increased police presence in the area. In a radio report yesterday, Police Commissioner Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin said he was aware of the situation and that it was under investigation.

How yuh mean 'We' ?

Is where yuh live ?

Comment

So all these years the police getting bigger and bigger guns, Helicopter and etc how comes crime rate nuh go down?

I wonder how Cayman mostly use a baton for them police and them nah fi worry bout a huge crime problem?

The fact is the police them need fi use them brain more, nuh you a preach techology? Hence swapping M16 fi IPOD is not such a bad idea .

Use the money buy more GPS, get a better criminal database, get the computers and intranet connection in all station and police posts and use more modern survelliance to track people rather than stuffing the big gun inna innocent people face.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

When di presha leff yuh mi wi talk to yuh

Comment

How long yuh gwine hide behind dat smokescreen ?

I am Bruce Lee..you and Toothy are one merely two of the Guards...actually yuh might can be a guard.. Toothy is one ah di drugged out hookah serving food

Comment

What kind of guns did those Ramble terrorists use?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              The fact is the police them need fi use them brain more, nuh you a preach techology? Hence swapping M16 fi IPOD is not such a bad idea .

Use the money buy more GPS, get a better criminal database, get the computers and intranet connection in all station and police posts and use more modern survelliance to track people rather than stuffing the big gun inna innocent people face.
              Seeitdeh! Jawge want technology for universities but not for crime fighting.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It is in my estimation an extremely good move to retire the M16 from regular policing.

The replacement MP5 is far better suited and will enhance the security of the police and citizenry alike.

Comment

Well your last paragraph I agree with a
                  hundred percent. Matter of fact I was going to address it in a different post.

In 2006, when my friend and I came for the madre of all parties (Frenchman's in Ochi), whils in Mobay my firend said "Jawge why must there be a blue seam and red seam" I tried to defend it with the old addage of passing exam blah blah. My friend made a point: it's the old colonial divison rule. I then saw his point.

Ja need one police force and one standard training; no blue seam and red seam (the island is small). Another thing every cop or squad should be assigned a zone with the team leader monitoring them by radio; simple command and control. That means the commish in Kgn can radio a sector on the island and know where a cop is postioned.
                  Seeing that Kingfish is an elite squad they should be given the right to go anywhere on the island (given access to helicopter) that means if regualr police is under fire they call in support from Kingfish or the local version of swat. All police officers should be given a badge with numbers; hence easy identifiaction for citizens. Given the present crime situation all police officers should carry a fire arm until the terrorists are driven out of the island. Sass your last paragraph can take hold here.

Watch out if porductivity wouldn't improve and corruption decrease if the cops are assigned designated areas (and monitored by radio by the sarge). Therefore when in court, you must tell the judge what are doing in Spanish town when you are assinged to St. thomas or some sector in kgn.

All police officers should carry radios. (the money buying new guns could go here).

Comment

read below Mo an stap chat fart

Comment

Thanks for your opinion.

Comment

Ha yuh funny dis mawning. Yuh cyaan juss declare victory so
                        yuh haffi put whey yuh opponent bossman. Now go hangle yuh bizniz an come back

Comment

I don't know but it seems that their least concern
                          was confrontation with police officers.

Comment

But you still not addressing the crime fighting element.

Look at Britain that them say is a free society, you can't take a bus or train without been watched by camera. They can study the movement of any individual and stop them in their tracks.

Why is it the database that Peter Phillips try to put in place was not working and not reaching all police station? When a cop see you in America in a car, him run your plates right there on his laptop computer in his car and decide if you are a criminal or not.

I read in an article that some criminals in Jamaica choose not to get any form of IDs as it only help police identify them. I was against a national ID program but when I studied this article I had to think again. There are nuff things the police can do and if they do them they will need less M16 rufle not more.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

and you are not addressing the fact
                              that there are some dangerous criminals running loose in
                              JA with high powered rifles. I wouldn't compare the UK and US with
                              Ja, seeing that Ja doesn't have the resources that these countries have.

Starting slowly with command and control (see steps on radio, assigning sectors and having one standard force as base, then you move upwards with detective, special units et al).

Computers in patrol cars would need massive resources in terms of training and maintenance. A gradual approch would be prudent here (as described above).

Comment

Working...
                              X