mosiah... the concerned residents take the proper channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mosiah... the concerned residents take the proper channels

and then what... attempts to intimidate them... this can't be what you had in mind....

Cemetery controversy turns violent
    Wednesday, 12 March 2008 Tension in Shettlewood, Hanover reached fever peak Tuesday night, when three houses were shot up and a resident injured in the aftermath of a public meeting involving Health Minister Ruddy Spencer.

One of the houses is said to be owned by a member of the Ramble Community Development Committee (CDC) who was vocal at the meeting.

The occupants escaped injury.

The meeting, which was attended by more than 300 residents, was called to discuss the controversy surrounding the establishment and operation of the Royal Rest Cemetery.

It was reported that just after 9 o'clock shots were fired at persons returning from the meeting.

Member of Parliament D.K Duncan said the shootings took place near the Shettlewood Baptist Church where the meeting with the Health Minister was held.

"People on their way home from the meeting were shot at, three homes had window panes shot out and one person injured. We're certain that this is the continuation of the intimidation that has been taking place ever since burials have been attempted at the cemetery. We feel that because of the successful meeting we had with the minister, people found it necessary to intimidate people who were going home last night," he said.

For the past two months, Shettlewood has been the scene of intense protests by residents who are opposed to the development and operation of a cemetery in the community.

They claim that the cemetery is too close to their water source and will affect their water quality.

This is despite several environmental studies that show that the cemetery posed no threat.

The residents have been calling for the government to place a stop order on the cemetery.

In the meantime, residents of Shettlewood could reconsider plans to proceed with their court case against the developers of the Royal Rest Cemetery.

Dr. Duncan said following Monday night's meeting with the Mr. Spencer the residents want an amicable end to the dispute.

"In light of his intervention, the citizens have mandated me as their CDC representative to meet with the lawyers made available to them by the Public Defender, to discuss the implications of (Tuesday's) meeting in order to have further discussions with the Minister.

The residents, through the Ramble Community Development Committee, last Thursday filed an application in the Supreme Court.

They have sought leave for a judicial review of the National Environment and Planning Agency's (NEPA's) decision to grant a permit to Delapenha's Funeral Home to conduct burials in the area.

The residents are also seeking an injunction against NEPA, Delapenha's Funeral Home and the Attorney General, to stop the operation of the cemetery.
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Unbelievable! For once, it looks like a community has come together for a common cause, not coloured by politics or religion or anything else. Just a need for safe, clean water. And this is what happens to them. Their initial reaction seemed wrong to me, but they appear to be going about it the right way now. Then this!

Dem need fi lock dung dat place. It will not work!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah, it may be that they were ignored earlier on, and had to go to the extremes. Tell me of some agency that is set up to listen to grievances in any JA community? I iwll not agree with road block, burning tires and holding travellers to a ransom, but come on.

I know you can read through the lines and see how they were ignored before. Just to remind you, that was the same area that Sam Sharpe lead the revolution that change(tounge in cheek) slavery

Comment

TDowl - as an Hanoverian, do you know who owned the lands prior to the Delaphena acquisition. I'm just curious if the previous owner knew the intent and purpose for which it would be put prior to selling
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

When certain development is taking place in a community shouldn't the authorities inform civic and community group and give them a chance to present their case at the appropriate approving or political bodies?

It seems like everything is settled by gun, badmanism, and bruteforce. The commish is right not only police don't think when them have big gun but a big section of the population as well.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I hear the police talking about putting an end to the blocking of roads, but I can assure him that it will continue if the people feel there is no other way to get heard. I even had to threaten Cable & Wireless recently to get my Internet fixed, promising to block the entrance to their parking lot if I didn't get some action. (They acted, but they still don't have a clue! People, stay far from that company if you can help it.)

The public defender is going to be very busy and he needs to be proactive and not wait for citizens to contact him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              I even had to threaten Cable & Wireless recently to get my Internet fixed, promising to block the entrance to their parking lot if I didn't get some action. (They acted, but they still don't have a clue! People, stay far from that company if you can help it.).
              Go deh Mo - block them parking lot with the Escalade yes. Dem must fix yuh Internet Can't just a **************** yuh off
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

So OURS or what them name is only fi raise prices?

No them you fi make complain to when nothing else work?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I said it before but no one listened. The
                  writing was on the wall. In Hanover strip away the cars, the clothes, electricity, then see what you get. We vote for change but there is none. JA will not be productive until we have a civil rights bill. We have to face it guys, we are runnning on the old slavery laws.

To prove my point; why is it when these poor jakans come to the states, they get educated , become skilled and force their way in the american middle class (lower majority of times)? Why? We have to see Ja
                  for what it is and decide to make a real change. It's imperative in the info age. (I will say more in my economics and theory of games II post).

It's apparent that these citizens have no say. Shift time to two hundred years back and the answer will jump out at you.

Comment

Perhaps, but I know they would want me to document everything and one rigmarole. All they need to do is to check how many times my Internet has been down and how many times I've had to call C&W and tell them to give mi back mi money.

I chose the Jamaican option!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I glad you realise change was needed "We vote for change"

Comment

and that means I realise change was needed? Now I know
                        how they con you guys.

Comment

so a since Bruce Golding win all this a happen?

The PNP of 18 years of government left Ja crime free with a perfect human rights record, right?

and who are the "we" in "we voted for change"?

Comment

we the people of Jamaica

Comment

so how you included.

You convienently include yourself inna "we" and convienently take yourself out inna the same breath?

Comment

Working...
                              X