Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More concerns about free health care regime

Wednesday, 12 March 2008

With two weeks to go before the abolition of public hospital fees, another group of health care providers has raised concerns about the health system's level of preparedness.

The Jamaica Medical Doctors Association has joined other sector groups in expressing doubt that the public health sector will be ready for the implementation of the new regime on April 1st.

President of the Association, Dr. Andrew Salmon, said discussions are taking place to address some of the shortcomings, but said not all the problems would be ironed out in time.

"In the interim we're hoping that things will be done that can ameliorate the impact of the anticipated rush on the service. But we have to wait and see what happens as time progresses," he said.

The Medical Association of Jamaica and the Nurses Association of Jamaica (NAJ) have warned that there could be problems at public hospitals come April 1st.

The NAJ said there are not enough nurses in the sector to take on the expected increase in patient load.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    Wednesday, 12 March 2008

With two weeks to go before the abolition of public hospital fees, another group of health care providers has raised concerns about the health system's level of preparedness.

The Jamaica Medical Doctors Association has joined other sector groups in expressing doubt that the public health sector will be ready for the implementation of the new regime on April 1st.

President of the Association, Dr. Andrew Salmon, said discussions are taking place to address some of the shortcomings, but said not all the problems would be ironed out in time.

"In the interim we're hoping that things will be done that can ameliorate the impact of the anticipated rush on the service. But we have to wait and see what happens as time progresses," he said.

The Medical Association of Jamaica and the Nurses Association of Jamaica (NAJ) have warned that there could be problems at public hospitals come April 1st.

The NAJ said there are not enough nurses in the sector to take on the expected increase in patient load.
    I guess many are worried about preparations?!
    Nuff-nuff supplies, equipment, physical facilities and personel...and thus nuff-nuff money shall be needed in 'double quick time'!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Nuff a dem worried, hopefully them can't run dem private practise from out a the hospital anymore.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

aah boy; now the doctors are corrupt.

Very good Sass

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Nuff a dem worried, hopefully them can't run dem private practise from out a the hospital anymore.
          I do think that the gov't should listen to those working in the sector. Maybe there should be a phased in approach. Then again, this is Jamaica. If they divert in any way one set of idiots gonna start bitching bout broken promise.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Before I left Jamaica when you went to hospital they wanted money for service in the public hospital. Some even asked if you have cow and goats so you can gwaan talk.

i know that for a FACT.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
            X