X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the dead!

Cemetery controversy turns violent

Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Tension in Shettlewood, Hanover reached fever peak Tuesday night, when three houses were shot up and a resident injured in the aftermath of a public meeting involving Health Minister Ruddy Spencer.

One of the houses is said to be owned by a member of the Ramble Community Development Committee (CDC) who was vocal at the meeting.

The occupants escaped injury.

The meeting, which was attended by more than 300 residents, was called to discuss the controversy surrounding the establishment and operation of the Royal Rest Cemetery.

It was reported that just after 9 o'clock shots were fired at persons returning from the meeting.

Member of Parliament D.K Duncan said the shootings took place near the Shettlewood Baptist Church where the meeting with the Health Minister was held.

"People on their way home from the meeting were shot at, three homes had window panes shot out and one person injured. We're certain that this is the continuation of the intimidation that has been taking place ever since burials have been attempted at the cemetery. We feel that because of the successful meeting we had with the minister, people found it necessary to intimidate people who were going home last night," he said.

For the past two months, Shettlewood has been the scene of intense protests by residents who are opposed to the development and operation of a cemetery in the community.

They claim that the cemetery is too close to their water source and will affect their water quality.

This is despite several environmental studies that show that the cemetery posed no threat.

The residents have been calling for the government to place a stop order on the cemetery.

In the meantime, residents of Shettlewood could reconsider plans to proceed with their court case against the developers of the Royal Rest Cemetery.

Dr. Duncan said following Monday night's meeting with the Mr. Spencer the residents want an amicable end to the dispute.

"In light of his intervention, the citizens have mandated me as their CDC representative to meet with the lawyers made available to them by the Public Defender, to discuss the implications of (Tuesday's) meeting in order to have further discussions with the Minister.

The residents, through the Ramble Community Development Committee, last Thursday filed an application in the Supreme Court.

They have sought leave for a judicial review of the National Environment and Planning Agency's (NEPA's) decision to grant a permit to Delapenha's Funeral Home to conduct burials in the area.

The residents are also seeking an injunction against NEPA, Delapenha's Funeral Home and the Attorney General, to stop the operation of the cemetery.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

call me prophet, say it coming. It's sad when
    the populace cannot see the predicament they are in. Watch the further
    escalation. When I say JA is going over a cliff, many laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
      call me prophet, say it coming. It's sad when
      the populace cannot see the predicament they are in. Watch the further
      escalation. When I say JA is going over a cliff, many laugh.
      Call yuh prophet when yuh just realize what a gwaan? Luckily course change .... gwaan back guh sleep.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Change to what direction, may I ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
          Change to what direction, may I ask?
          Fi years some of us been saying we've been heading down a slippery slope and you and other halfwits laughed at us. Sept 4th unuh come tuh unuh sense .... watch how gov't govern. Better yet ... you better off going back to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
            Fi years some of us been saying we've been heading down a slippery slope and you and other halfwits laughed at us. Sept 4th unuh come tuh unuh sense .... watch how gov't govern. Better yet ... you better off going back to sleep.
            Stick to the issue of the use of the property for burials? ...please?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
            X