Dutch investigators not satisfied with PNP response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch investigators not satisfied with PNP response

Dutch investigators in the island to probe an alleged attempt by officials of Trafigura to bribe members of the former administration are reportedly not satisfied with answers provided by senior representatives of the People's National Party (PNP).

PNP officials, including its president, Portia Simpson Miller, chairman, Robert Pickersgill, and former general secretary, Colin Campbell, met with the Dutch investigators last week.

But sources say the answers provided by the PNP officials did little to assist in the investigation.

According to the sources, the investigators have since met with officials of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions in an attempt to determine whether they could get any assistance from that office.

However, so far, there has been no word out of that meeting.

Former government minister K.D. Knight, of the law firm Knight, Junor and Samuels, which is representing the PNP officials, told The Gleaner that his clients gave the investigators all the information they had.

Not aware of request

According to Knight, he is not aware of any request from the Dutch team to further question his clients.

Knight did not rule out further questioning, but argued that the Dutch team would have to follow the prescribed legal route.

The Dutch investigators are pursuing a criminal probe against Trafigura Beheer, which donated $31 million to the PNP in 2006.

Under Dutch law, companies are prohibited from making such donations, which are considered bribes.

This is punishable under sections 177 and 178 (a) of the Dutch criminal code.

When the Trafigura saga broke last year, Colin Campbell, who was the PNP's general secretary and the minister of information, resigned, as the money from Trafigura turned up in an account belonging to him.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who was then the Opposition leader, released the information and demanded a full investigation.

He was later to pilot a bill in Parliament which allowed for the visit of the Dutch investigators.

During the team's initial visit, the PNP officials refused to meet with them.

Knight said that it was because the procedures to meet had not reached a point where the PNP members could be available.

The Dutch investigators are expected to leave the island this week.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Isn't it obvious these crooks are hiding something?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      Isn't it obvious these crooks are hiding something?
      It is not obvious there are any crooks!
      It is not obvious there is anything to hide!

The Dutch are here to gather evidence that will point to criminal activity of Trafigura Beheer. It follows that if that evidence is not found to support their ends they would not be pleased...and or satified...and would be disappointed, sad and fustrated.

There may be crooks! ...and there may be something being hidden...but it is not obvious!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        It is not obvious there are any crooks!
        It is not obvious there is anything to hide!

The Dutch are here to gather evidence that will point to criminal activity of Trafigura Beheer. It follows that if that evidence is not found to support their ends they would not be pleased...and or satified...and would be disappointed, sad and fustrated.

There may be crooks! ...and there may be something being hidden...but it is not obvious!
        Halfwit ... is accepting a bribe legal in Jamaica? You're aware they're gonna question the head of the PCJ? Ummmmm I wonder why? Gwaan fool yuhself.

Comment

"The Dutch are here to gather evidence that will point to criminal activity"

How you know that? they may already have that evidence. They could want to point out how corrupted the PNP was too.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Halfwit ... is accepting a bribe legal in Jamaica? You're aware they're gonna question the head of the PCJ? Ummmmm I wonder why? Gwaan fool yuhself.
            Dumb-wit!
            Is that not what they were here for to 'prove their was a bribe'?
            ...and is it unreasonable to assume that there "dissatisfaction with the answers" means they have not proved a bribe was given?
            Dumb-wit!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Dumb-wit!
              Is that not what they were here for to 'prove their was a bribe'?
              ...and is it unreasonable to assume that there "dissatisfaction with the answers" means they have not proved a bribe was given?
              Dumb-wit!
              They've already come to the conclusion there was a bribe. I'm convinced that the money is money that belonged in the consolidated fund. But hypocrites like you are hoping that Portia and her band of bandits can side step this one.

Comment

Make Karl gwan talk. Wait till them issue them broadside on the PNP.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

They've already come to the conclusion there was a bribe. I'm convinced that the money is money that belonged in the consolidated fund. But hypocrites like you are hoping that Portia and her band of bandits can side step this one.
                  It is more dumb-witted reasoning why you are now claiming I would not want criminals to be brought to justice!

...and you tell me the logic to 'name'...put out the nonsense about "Portia her band of bandits"?

Just admit it as your 'JLPitis rabid nonsense'?!

Comment

It is more dumb-witted reasoning why you are now claiming I would not want criminals to be brought to justice!

...and you tell me the logic to 'name'...put out the nonsense about "Portia her band of bandits"?

Just admit it as your 'JLPitis rabid nonsense'?!
                    Suh a that yuh vex bout? Portia and her band of bandits? This trafigura issue means they either accepted a bribe, which is illegal in Jamaica or dem was tiefing taxpayers' money. The AG and practically all the PNP attempted to cover it up.

What did AJ (Anti Jusitce) mean by, "if I knew then, what I know now, I'd have kept my mouth shut!"

As mi say ... gwaan form fool Karl.

Comment

All the Dutch dem tun Labourite..!

LOL !!

Poor Karl.

Comment

Hey Karl.. something to get you thinking..

Why did Colin Campbell resign ?

Him conscience ?

He was not even charged with anything.. ala Kern...

Hmmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          "The Dutch are here to gather evidence that will point to criminal activity"

How you know that? they may already have that evidence. They could want to point out how corrupted the PNP was too.
                          Doubt that they would be interested in whether or not our politicians are corrupt!

mmm???
                          ...rather think they would be looking at their citizens and evidence to support their theory of possible wrong doing on the part of their citizens.

Comment

So you are hoping that they hold their citizens to a higher standard.. a kind of one-sided crime...

Keep your fingers and toes crossed....

Then again PNP needs a catharsis.. it is for their own good.. thorough cleansing.. What is Peter Phillips up tuh these days...

Heh,heh.

Comment

Working...
                            X