X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loyalty trumps competence

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dear Editor,

The appointment of Sherene Golding as an adviser to the minister of justice is further evidence of the government's agenda of partisan governance. Despite campaign promises to eliminate tribalism from governance, cronyism continues to eclipse meritocracy. In keeping with this agenda, the government has:

. derailed Stephen Vasciannie's appointment as solicitor general and dismissed him as chairman of the Air Policy Committee.

. fired the Public Service Commission for daring to comply with the Constitution.

. appointed Joan Gordon-Webley as executive director of the NSWMA, in violation of the law.

. engineered the appointment of Edward Seaga as pro-chancellor of UTech.

On a recent radio interview, the justice minister unashamedly defended the appointment of the prime minister's daughter as her adviser, claiming that she was entitled to have an adviser who is "loyal" to her. That was the most revealing statement of all. The appearance of cronyism was of no concern to the minister. All that mattered was that the Cabinet had approved the appointment. Given that the prime Minister is Ms Golding's father, is there any chance that the appointment would not have been approved?

Ms Golding's credentials appeared to be of even less concern to the minister. Ms Golding is apparently advising the minister on her legislative reform agenda and other related issues. While Ms Golding may have three degrees, including a law degree, Ms Golding is not a lawyer, nor does she have any track record in legislative or justice issues, as far as I am aware. I have no objection to ministerial advisers, per se. However, ministerial advisers are paid for by the taxpayer, and not the ministers to whom they report. In a non-tribal context, ministerial advisers are selected for their capacity to add value to a ministerial portfolio, rather than their loyalty to a particular minister or their genetic connections to the prime minister. In Britain, for example, one would hardly expect the secretary of state for justice Jack Straw to appoint Prime Minister Gordon Brown's son as his adviser. The blatant appearance of nepotism would inhibit him from doing so; worse yet if Gordon Brown's son patently lacked the credentials for the job. In Jamaica, we choose not to understand that in public appointments, appearance does matter.

The disregard for appearance, coupled with the garrison mentality of the government, enables the elevation of a relatively unqualified Ms Golding while rejecting a qualified Stephen Vasciannie as solicitor general, and as chairman of the Air Policy Committee. The message is clear. Loyalty trumps competence.

James Hunt Farnußm Griffiths
    Maryland, USA
    Billy.Farnum@gmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dear Editor,

The appointment of Sherene Golding as an adviser to the minister of justice is further evidence of the government's agenda of partisan governance. Despite campaign promises to eliminate tribalism from governance, cronyism continues to eclipse meritocracy. In keeping with this agenda, the government has:

. derailed Stephen Vasciannie's appointment as solicitor general and dismissed him as chairman of the Air Policy Committee.

. fired the Public Service Commission for daring to comply with the Constitution.

. appointed Joan Gordon-Webley as executive director of the NSWMA, in violation of the law.

. engineered the appointment of Edward Seaga as pro-chancellor of UTech.

On a recent radio interview, the justice minister unashamedly defended the appointment of the prime minister's daughter as her adviser, claiming that she was entitled to have an adviser who is "loyal" to her. That was the most revealing statement of all. The appearance of cronyism was of no concern to the minister. All that mattered was that the Cabinet had approved the appointment. Given that the prime Minister is Ms Golding's father, is there any chance that the appointment would not have been approved?

Ms Golding's credentials appeared to be of even less concern to the minister. Ms Golding is apparently advising the minister on her legislative reform agenda and other related issues. While Ms Golding may have three degrees, including a law degree, Ms Golding is not a lawyer, nor does she have any track record in legislative or justice issues, as far as I am aware. I have no objection to ministerial advisers, per se. However, ministerial advisers are paid for by the taxpayer, and not the ministers to whom they report. In a non-tribal context, ministerial advisers are selected for their capacity to add value to a ministerial portfolio, rather than their loyalty to a particular minister or their genetic connections to the prime minister. In Britain, for example, one would hardly expect the secretary of state for justice Jack Straw to appoint Prime Minister Gordon Brown's son as his adviser. The blatant appearance of nepotism would inhibit him from doing so; worse yet if Gordon Brown's son patently lacked the credentials for the job. In Jamaica, we choose not to understand that in public appointments, appearance does matter.

The disregard for appearance, coupled with the garrison mentality of the government, enables the elevation of a relatively unqualified Ms Golding while rejecting a qualified Stephen Vasciannie as solicitor general, and as chairman of the Air Policy Committee. The message is clear. Loyalty trumps competence.

James Hunt Farnußm Griffiths
    Maryland, USA
    Billy.Farnum@gmail.com
    Damn!
    Lazie, a yuh dat?
    Is this a sign of your return from "election madness" state?
    Welcome, boss!

...and I am not here saying young Golding cannot do a competent job! I just do not have facts to comment one way or the other.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well dem figure if di PNP did hire
      DM (considering paternal connections) they feel they can do the same. To me hiring the daughter of the PM in a govt. office isn't the same.

Sidebar: DM looks was carrying har some of the way
      Sherene, yuh betta come good. (not fi Lazie, cause him wi pass anyting whey say JLP)

Comment

Sherene Golding's appointment a mistake

Sherene Golding should not have been appointed as an adviser to the minister of justice.

Big Mistake!
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yuh know PJ son ?

Heh, heh.. macka ah guh juk unnuh till..

Ah Good !

WHOIIIEEEE !!

Comment

Are you saying I should expect
            the JLP version of the light bulb and Trafigura? Ah well, I'm just dsorry for the populace that got fooled.

Changing of the guard that's all.

Comment

Yeah.. but one guard don't shoot dem owna boss !

LOL !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                Sherene Golding should not have been appointed as an adviser to the minister of justice.

Big Mistake!
                Hortical, the Minister of Justice did make it clear that the appointment was a political appointment and the contract expires if the current Minister leaves office, or if there is a change of gov't.

If it was a public service job, there should be an outrage, but the writer choose to leave out the fact that its a political appointment.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

please explain because I don't want to
                  think the wrong way. Are you making reference to the ousting of Eddie as
                  leader of the JLP? Please enlighten me, thanks.

Comment

Once yuh start wid di 'enlight me' argument.. mi juss haffi wait till di drugs wear off...

PNP have been assaulting di people fi decades.. guards gone wild !

LOL !

Comment

Working...
                    X