RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jawge, yuh nuh hear dem plan fi ban books again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jawge, yuh nuh hear dem plan fi ban books again?

Banning books is ill-conceived
    published: Tuesday | March 11, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

Having read Carolyn Cooper's response to the education minister's decree that books with expletives be banned, I am moved to comment.

I remember reading these books as a very average 'lit' student and I always felt it strange reading swear words in these books or poems.

However, what that did for me was allow me to realise that the characters were real (this is how people talk daily), and actually enabled me to see that words were not innately 'bad', but depends largely on usage.

I do believe that this is a hasty, ill-conceived idea that puts the honourable minister on a slippery slope. Where will it stop?

Will books allow dirty talk? Smoking? Violence? Taking the Lord's name in vain? Drunkenness?

The route the minister needs to take is to establish a panel of teachers to judge books and take advice from them. If the minister feels that a book has offensive material, he simply needs to create proper channels for parents to voice their disapproval.

A body of professionals (teachers), would then assess the content of the book on its literary merits and recommend its retention, revision or removal.

This is a far more rational approach to the issue and isolates the minister from these minor issues in education, while allowing him time to focus on overcrowded, under-resourced classrooms, and underpaid, overworked teachers.

Banning books is only one short step from burning them! History has taught us a lot about the kinds of people who burnt books!

I am, etc.,

MEGEL R. BARKER

admin@mathsmotorway.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Bible: as it was in the days of
    Noah, so shall it be in the coming of the Lord.

Comment

What a piece on nonsense! Did they really have to print this?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
      X