Police lose M16 for MP3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police lose M16 for MP3?

No sorry .. its the MP5! They got me there. Was wondering if dem gonna hit dem wid music.

Regular cops lose M16s
    Police to get less powerful guns

POLICE Commissioner Rear Admiral Hardley Lewin yesterday announced that the American-made M16 assault rifles, currently being used by cops on operational duties, will be replaced by the less powerful MP5 submachine guns.
    The police chief said the phase-out of the M16 for regular police operations was part of efforts to curtail the use of deadly force within the constabulary. It comes less than a week after an 11-month-old infant was shot dead, allegedly by a bullet fired by a special constable chasing an illegal taxi operator on March Pen Road, St Catherine.
    Lewin, who made the announcement at a media briefing at the Police Officers' Club in St Andrew, said only members of the Mobile Reserve - the special squad formed to deal with civil unrest or national emergencies - would be allowed to continue using M16 rifles.
    "This is an effort to reduce the possibility of collateral damage because of the high-powered nature of the M16," Lewin said.
    The M16 rifle is made by Colt and uses 5.56 mm bullets, while the German-designed MP5 uses smaller 9mm rounds and is made by Heckler and Koch.
    It was not clear what was the timeframe for the phase-out of the M16s, but the decision is likely to come under fire from the rank-and-file within the constabulary, who have often complained that the guns-for-drugs trade operating between Jamaica and Haiti was providing local criminals with more sophisticated weapons than those being used by the police.
    Some officers even complained that they were at a disadvantage when they confront well-armed criminals in gunbattles.
    Yesterday, Lewin, the retired head of the Jamaica Defence Force, urged cops to exercise good judgment when in such situations.
    "An officer must know how to protect himself; if the criminal has the advantage, then you retreat and go for him another day," Lewin told the Observer after the press conference.
    In addition to the less powerful guns, some officers have been issued with non-lethal mace - tear gas in an aerosol can - as part of the force's human rights and use of force policy.
    "The force will be seeking to acquire other options to present our officers with other options when they contemplate the use of force," Lewin told reporters.
    The police chief said, too, that a drive was underway to recertify and retrain every officer enlisted in the force and to implement regular firearms training for them.
    Yesterday, Lewin apologised to the parents and relatives of the child who was shot dead by the special constable and whose killing sparked a massive demonstration by residents of the community.
    The implicated cop has since been suspended from the force while his colleagues who were on traffic duty with him have been removed from the front-line, Lewin said yesterday.
    "It is a most unfortunate and tragic incident. We feel your grief and pain at this time," Lewin said. "Indeed, I was angry when the news was communicated to me."
    The commissioner also announced that 10 of his officers were receiving martial arts and unarmed combat training and that more were in line to be trained.
    A review of the training given to new recruits and a renewed vigour towards community policing was also announced by the police commissioner.
    Last edited by Lazie; March 11, 2008, 08:50 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Good one, Lazie!

Can you imagine! The police have been calling for more powerful firearms to deal with the criminals who have the best, and the Commish give dem iPods! Imagine if di JFJ did recommend dat! Yuh woulda hear how dem hug up gunman!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this commish seems like a no joke man.
      The rank and file soon push him overboard as he don't seem to listen to them much. Him just a do him job or as Karl call it "dictatorial tendencies".

Gwaaan Commish
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        this commish seems like a no joke man.
        The rank and file soon push him overboard as he don't seem to listen to them much. Him just a do him job or as Karl call it "dictatorial tendencies".

Gwaaan Commish
        Every leader must be a bit of a dictator. ..but there must be "second guessing" of self and constant conscious effort to stay away from the "bad side".

Brucie seems to be perilously close to moving to that "bad side"!

I am with the Commish thus far!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I don't get you, you state one instance of Bruce trying to control and I can state at least 2 or 3 with the commish and you still support him?

Why didn't you tell me before? "Every leader must be a bit of a dictator".

and then we wouldn't have any argument.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What about PJ.. did you detect any 'Dictatorial Tendencies' with him ?

Comment

Look, not really a step down as most would imagine, the M16 is a powerful weapon second to the AK47(de old one too) but the MP5 is still very deadly, the coroners should not expect a reduction in the number of slugs they remove from the people killed by the police. I think it has more to do with his so-called revamped community police strategy which demands that officers (physically)mingle with the community.

Blessed

Comment

Uh oh, pity wi cyaan get di
                criminals fi lay down fi dem AKs an 16s. Tek say juss 9mm handguns.

Will say more about the JCF later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  Good one, Lazie!

Can you imagine! The police have been calling for more powerful firearms to deal with the criminals who have the best, and the Commish give dem iPods! Imagine if di JFJ did recommend dat! Yuh woulda hear how dem hug up gunman!
                  Ipods? Do you know what an MP5 is and who uses them?

Comment

Watchya now !

LOL !! Where yuh been ?

WHOEEEE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                      LOL !! Where yuh been ?
                      Puerto Rico. Why?

Comment

Mi know yuh fine dis one veeeerry
                        funny LOL. Ben need yuh help

Comment

Follow di thread and stop talk chupidniss nuh man! Cho!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X