• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kleptomaniacs and termites

Kleptomaniacs and termites
    MICHAEL BURKE
    Thursday, March 06, 2008

There was a general election on leap year day (February 29) 1972. The result of that election was that the People's National Party, led by Michael Manley, won a landslide victory. Of the then 53-seat Parliament, the PNP won 37 seats to the JLP's 16. Immediately, Manley declared an amnesty for illegal guns. By May 23, voluntary labour would be the new way of observing National Labour Day.

Then came the social programmes such as adult literacy, free education, and pioneer corps, more housing and so on. Apparently, the plan was to finance the social programmes by the bauxite levy that came in 1974. But by December 1973 the oil-producing countries wanted more for their oil. It threw the entire economy out of whack. The first symptom was a sharp rise in the cost of living.

It was at the public session of the PNP on September 19, 1976 (reconvened from the National Arena to the stadium because of the massive crowd), that Michael Manley said the famous words. In response to the criticism of the sharp rises in the cost of living and the dislocations caused by the rising oil prices, Manley asked, "If that bunch of reactionary kleptomaniacs were in our shoes, what would they have done?"

The PNP won the general elections of December 15, 1976, gaining 47 seats to the JLP's 13 in the new 60-seat Parliament. In 1977, the Manley-led PNP government worked out a deal with the International Monetary Fund to finance Jamaica out of the heavy debt caused by the sharp rise in oil prices. Also in 1977, Manley announced constitutional reform by 1980 and Fidel Castro visited Jamaica in October 1977.

By 1980, the IMF was recommending the closure of the social programmes to get Jamaica out of debt. After an all-night meeting of the National Executive Council of the then ruling PNP, the decision was taken to break with the IMF.

Also by 1980, violence, social pressures and resignations from the Cabinet made it difficult for Manley to govern. On February 3, 1980, against the background of all the foregoing and more, Manley announced that as soon as the voter's list was ready, he would call a general election. It was not ready until September that year, and in the meantime, some 800 people lost their lives because of political violence, including a junior minister and member of parliament, Roy McGann.

The general elections were called for October 30, 1980.

Amidst cries from the JLP of mismanagement, communism along with their campaign slogan, "Deliverance is near", the Jamaica Labour Party, led by Edward Seaga, won a landslide and on November 1, 1980, Seaga was sworn in as prime minister.

The JLP government of the 1980s, led by Edward Seaga, took Jamaica back to the IMF. We were never told whether it was on IMF instructions or not, but JAMAL was scaled down, housing was scaled down and an education tax had been introduced in addition to a cess on university tuition. Taxation soared and Edward Seaga reaped the nickname of "Papa Tax".

From the time of the oil price rises in 1973, there was talk about alternative sources of energy. As the nations of the world moved in that direction, the oil-producing countries by the 1980s dropped their prices, and many in the world dropped their plans for alternative energy. This in turn lessened the rate of the rise in the cost of living.

As a result, many were ever more convinced that Manley's cry of an oil price hike in the 1970s was just an excuse for mismanagement. Edward Seaga as prime minister called a snap election for December 15, 1983. The PNP refused to contest on the grounds that the voter's list was three years old. The JLP ended up with all 60 seats, 54 having been won unopposed on nomination day.

On February 9, 1989, the PNP won the general election. Michael Manley was once again the prime minister. It was the beginning of PNP rule for 18 years and seven months during which Manley was prime minister for three years, P J Patterson for 14 and Portia Simpson Miller for a year and five months. On September 3, 2007, the JLP won the election, and when all the magisterial recounts were done, it had 32 seats to the PNP's 28. On September 11, 2007, Bruce Golding was sworn in as prime minister. Shortly after, the Cabinet was sworn in and Parliament was opened.

No sooner had the JLP won that oil prices started to rise sharply again as was the case in the 1970s. A new set of world realities, what with the aftermath of 9/11, the US-Iraq war and all that, the price of oil rose sharply. Already, Bruce Golding has had to admit that it has put his party's plans out of whack. He was sharply criticised by the Simpson-Miller-led Opposition PNP for the rising prices.

At the JLP conference in November 2007, Golding said that the leadership in the PNP had "termites on their brains". It is said that one must be careful what one asks for in case one gets it. In the PNPisation of the JLP, Golding is also getting some of the difficulties Manley faced in the 1970s.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Aside:
    Knew McGann - It was surreal that...I think...the day before he died - we spoke at a football match at Bull Bay.

The prelude to our final meeting, we had greeted each other before the start of the match...was I blew off the match at Bull Bay. The match was played in a community at a community play field with one way in-one way out...a community where most of my fellow refs refused to visit...a community in the midst of violent upheavals...guns barked there...

...I can remember the tension was high...Karl Stewart (incidentally a 3-JDR man - Sergeant-Major/Warrant Officer) was the JFF match inspector and ref commissor/ref assessor.

I remember that Jumpy Harris a legendary former KC and H/V player/former Jamaica player/one of the first of those from Penna's squad who played professional football in North America was the coach of Bulls Bay...the coach of harbour View, I think, was "Fat-eye" Thompson another former H/V player...

...the match was fiercely fought...but Keith (can't remember his surname name at this moment) flew into the Bulls Bay bench while chasing a ball at tremendous speed. Now many of those on the Bulls Bay bench were former teammates at Harbour View and as far as I know were still friends...when (aaah now I think I remember his last name) Keith Cunningham bounced up there was blood pouring down his back...a great wound...and a curious stoic stance by the Bull Bay bench...while Keith had a frightened appearance...

...I was an emotional young man then...and just about all the players well...I got mad...attempted to find out what happened...thinking there would be confessions as some would be ashamed at what had happened and knowing at least some where still good friends...not a word...not an answer...

...looked around and saw no weapons lying around...no concern shown for the wounded player...in that atmosphere - I terminated the match. I led Keith away - in effect got the Harbour View and Bull Bay players to go to separate areas. The H/V players left in short order.

Karl Stewart, McGann and myself met in the middle of the field. Expressions of sorrow at what had transpired. We took our leave. Next day, I think it was, McGann was reported to have been shot.

...incidentally Karl Stewart gave me a bad 'write-up' for greeting McGann in too friendly a manner before the match. I knew the man and I think in walking to the sideline/touchline before the start of the match we put our arms on each other's shoulders. McGann was a 'de facto' manager of Bulls Bay. On reflection, I should have deliberately contrived to stay away from him as under different match atmosphere...say Harbour View was losing and a decision I made did not find favour with Harbour View,it may have appeared to the Harbour View players that 'I was friendly' (thought that I may have been compromised through good relations with Bull Bay - McGann' - aaah the worries appearances can bring? - Never been compromised as a ref...and just could not happen!)?

...anyway it ended with everyone safe. ...and I was against sent to do the replay and there was nary a whimper of anything out of sorts in the replay.
    Last edited by Karl; March 6, 2008, 12:21 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

PNPisation of the JLP!!?? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Comment View Post
        PNPisation of the JLP!!?? LOL
        Yes! ..it could mean many things...an there could be irony in the use!
        ...among which is that could also be a 'badwud'!

Comment

Re: "...anyway all ended with everyone safe."

And Cunningham? I remember reading the article and I think Cunningham was out for a couple months after that.

Wow!! Boody and heartless action by players on the Bull Bay bench!
          "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
            Re: "...anyway all ended with everyone safe."

And Cunningham? I remember reading the article and I think Cunningham was out for a couple months after that.

Wow!! Boody and heartless action by players on the Bull Bay bench!
            Damn!
            Yuh ole tuh!
            Shady Pines resident, tuh?

Comment

Yep, Shady Pines beckons!

In that 1980 election I had just returned to Jamaica after spending a year in England where I was to have attended school but a major mix-up with paperworks and promises caused me to abort my educational plans. I was still young then (having just turned 20) so the next year after the bloody 1980 election I moved to the USA.
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Karl mi notice yuh slip in
                the Penna and professinal argument. If you want
                we can take it to the other forum: did Penna take any of the Jakan team to Brasil for extended camps and expose them to high level football? Did Penna insist that all players should have a passport? Karl wi nuh waan go down that road.

Professional Ball started with Prof.Simoes and climaxed in qualifying for the WC final in France. Get over it

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                  Karl mi notice yuh slip in
                  the Penna and professinal argument. If you want
                  we can take it to the other forum: did Penna take any of the Jakan team to Brasil for extended camps and expose them to high level football? Did Penna insist that all players should have a passport? Karl wi nuh waan go down that road.

Professional Ball started with Prof.Simoes and climaxed in qualifying for the WC final in France. Get over it

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                    Yep, Shady Pines beckons!

In that 1980 election I had just returned to Jamaica after spending a year in England where I was to have attended school but a major mix-up with paperworks and promises caused me to abort my educational plans. I was still young then (having just turned 20) so the next year after the bloody 1980 election I moved to the USA.

Just pulling your legs!
                    Respek!

Comment

Working...
                    X