Did Dr Jean Dixon have a 'power cut' in the light bulb issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Dr Jean Dixon have a 'power cut' in the light bulb issue

Did Dr Jean Dixon have a 'power cut' in the light bulb issue?
    MARK WIGNALL
    Thursday, March 06, 2008

The person who was the permanent secretary in the super ministry which had full responsibility for the distribution of the energy-saving light bulbs from Cuba is Dr Jean Dixon. She is highly qualified academically and is also a board member of the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica (PCJ). She has a first degree and a PhD in the hard sciences and an MBA in finance.

In last Sunday's Wignall's World, I asked how it was that Dr Ruth Potopsingh of PCJ (the body that eventually funded the programme), wrote to Dixon in May 2006: "With the expansion of the project from a pilot to an islandwide project, it is necessary that a plan be put in place to execute this. we would appreciate details from your ministry of the expectations of the PCJ in implementing this expanded project." And there was no response from Dr Dixon (according to the contractor general).

The contractor general's report states that it has seen no evidence that Dr Dixon ever responded to that letter. Did the contractor general ask Dr Dixon if she received that letter, when she got it, and most important, why did she not respond to it? That is an answer that the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) ought to have ferreted out of Dr Dixon. Was the question asked of her and was the response, "No comment"?

It is my belief that what appears to be a small item in the OCG report is of the highest importance in tracking the light bulb distribution project. Permanent secretaries, if they are career-bound, as they ought to be, are the real bosses in ministries, especially where rookie ministers walk around with bodyguards, are chauffeur-driven and are convinced that they are God's gift to the common man.

If Dixon had responded to that letter, it is more than likely that a programme would have been set up with the required documentation and processes in place. It is my belief that that one gap which could have been plugged by a permanent secretary with a high school diploma, and should have been plugged by Dr Jean Dixon, a permanent secretary with a PhD and a Master's Degree in finance, was the defining moment which opened the way towards where we have now arrived in the $4m project.

I am not accusing Dr Dixon of corruption. I have no evidence of that. If, however, the contractor general reported that he has seen no evidence that Dixon responded to the letter, at the same time as he was questioning Potopsingh and Dixon, it ought to mean just that, there was no response. At the very least, based on the information we have, the question of dereliction of duty ought to arise in the minds of those tracking this troubling matter.

On Page 63 of the Contractor General's Report, the following is also stated, "It must be noted that Dr Jean Dixon is also a member of the board of PCJ. With reference to the meeting of 2007 July 10, Dr Dixon declared interest and excused herself during the discussion pertaining to the $4m project.

"Given Dr Jean Dixon's role as the permanent secretary in the ministry which had made the budget request to the PCJ, as a matter of policy, she would have been required to refrain from any discussions on the matter. This would prevent the appearance or actual occurrence, or both, of a conflict of interest.

"Notwithstanding, it would be reasonable to expect that Dr Dixon would have been privy to previous minutes of the Board of Directors of PCJ, as well as any previous discussions and decisions which were made by the board with regard to the project. The same would also hold true for the minutes of the meetings of 2007, July 10, from which Dr Dixon had excused herself."

Excusing herself was intended to prevent more "appearance" than actual "occurrence" of conflict of interest, simply because Dixon was in a most unique position in the project. She would have had all info from PCJ via minutes of meetings, and she was PS in the ministry. In other words, she was the bridge between the two entities - the chief financial officer in the ministry requesting funding of the project from PCJ and board member of PCJ, being informed of deliberations through minutes of meetings.

If we go by the contractor general's report, from May 2006 Dr Dixon was in a position to act, but we have no evidence of such action, something normally required from a permanent secretary. Why the apparent inaction, Dr Dixon?

Support the Sigma Run
    Each year for the past four years, I have tried to exhort my readers, especially those health-conscious ones to support the Pan Caribbean Sigma Run. On Sunday, March 9, for the 10th year, the Sigma Run will be encouraging those seeking a healthier lifestyle to come to the Emancipation Park for a day of running, eating, entertainment and healthy drinking.

The yearly run has raised millions of dollars for various charities and on Sunday the promoters tell me they are expecting to raise a healthy $2 million. As someone who has spurned the use of alcohol for health reasons I can appreciate that the sponsors D&G have placed two new Malta products - Jamaican non-alcoholic beverages - at the centre of the Sigma Run. The products are Malta Refresh and Malta Velvet.

Health-conscious Jamaicans, especially those with a few extra dollars, are encouraged to turn out in big numbers and dig as deep in their pockets as they possibly can. It is important to know that "health consciousness" cannot be divorced from the constant entertaining of a social conscience. And it is that very social conscience which ought to encourage the health conscious to support worthy causes that go to the heart of lessening the pangs of poverty.

So please, show up on Sunday, March 9 at Emancipation Park and support the Sigma Run by purchasing the health-conscious products and dipping deep in your pockets. The products have been created, I am told, with the active person in mind. D&G Malta Refresh is a healthy beverage that is low in sugar, contains no fat and has a delicious, refreshing kola-nut flavour while D&G Velvet contains a special blend of vanilla and hazelnut which gives it a delicious, rich, and creamy texture.

I have not yet tasted the products, but when I see you on Sunday I will tell you what I think of them. In the interim, get out your sneakers, practise some light aerobics and get ready for the Sigma Run.
    - observemark@gmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X