RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now dem ago cry political victimization!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now dem ago cry political victimization!!!

Paul Burke hauled before the court for unpaid taxes

Wednesday, 05 March 2008

As the government steps up its drive against alleged tax dodgers, People's National Party (PNP) activist Paul Burke is the latest businessman to be hauled before the Tax Court.

Mr. Burke was arrested on a warrant this morning by the police and officials of the Inland Revenue Department.

Mr. Burke was taken before senior magistrate Owen Parkins at the Sutton Street Tax Court where he was offered $100,000 bail.

The Tax Department claims that Mr. Burke owes the government more than $40 million in outstanding General Consumption Tax (GCT), Income Tax and Education Tax related to his security company.

He is scheduled to return to court on March 25.

Mr. Burke is the latest businessman to feel the iron claws of the tax department.

On Tuesday six business operators were arrested on warrants and taken before the Tax Court.

The six reportedly owe the state a collective $40 million in taxes.

The crack-down on the business sector forms part of the government's effort to collect billions of dollars owed in taxes.

Director of Public Relations at the Tax Administration Services

Department, Meris Haughton, says the focus will remain on persons who owe taxes for extended periods.

Shortly after it took office last September, the Bruce Golding led administration said it would be going after tax dodgers who owe billions. Finance Minister Audley Shaw said the latest initiative is aimed at plugging a 15 billion dollar gap in the 2007/2008 Budget. In the meantime, Mr. Burke is blaming his accountant for his arrest.

He told the RJR News Centre that he was not aware that the Tax Court had issued a warrant for his arrest in January.

He said he has been paying his taxes, but admits that he still owes the government.

"Yes we do have some outstanding arrears but we have always paid so we are not in front of the court for evasion. The truth is that I was on leave until October 1 last year for a three year period," said Mr. Burke.

"I came back and went through with my accountant and there has been a warrant out for me from the 19th of January my accountant told me that it was ok, we had made arrangements and on the 19th of February we had paid a substantial amount and we were renewing our tax compliant certificate,"

"Even this morning after seeing some people dragged before the court I asked him if everything is alright with Ultra Protection Limited and he said yes," he continued.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Paul Burke arrested for Taxes Owed

Any more nails left for Portia's coffin ?

Anybody notice Bruce cool as a cucumber.. like a man with HEAVY ammunition..

Comment

About time them find something to put this criminal away. Should be charged for crimes against his country from the 1970s in his PNPYO days.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I agree, the evil things that this man did in the 70s will soon ketch up on him in this life. The PNP ran the country like a banana republic for way too long, and they were corrupt down to the barebone. So if yuh a comrade, or links to the ruling elite, yuh nuh pay all yuh taxes!
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

"Even this morning after seeing some people dragged before the court I asked him if everything is alright with Ultra Protection Limited and he said yes," he continued.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why should there be cries of victimization?

The businesses and persons either owe taxes or they do not?

Now if by some 'coincidence' of those owing taxes only the citizens who are PNP sympathizers and or others who may have disagreements with persons within the JLP...then it would be hard to think that anyone outside of the JLPites would not consider the actions - i) part of the ongoing JLP strategy to 'trash' the PNP prior to what we know will be a comming General Election within this current 5 year period....and ii) a persecution of citizens along the lines of known fascist and dictatorial regimes.

PS: I have said before that Bruce has acted in a manner and said things/taken positions that point to dictatorial tendencies!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

'No smear campaign'

- Burke denies being targeted after being brought before tax court

Former Deputy general secretary of the People's National Party (PNP), Paul Burke, yesterday dismissed claims that he was being targeted for his political allegiance after he was brought before the tax court for his company's non-payment of taxes to the Government.

"No, I don't think it is any smear campaign against me," he told The Gleaner yesterday when quizzed.

Over $10m owed

Burke was arrested and brought before the Sutton Street tax court on charges that his company, Ultra Protection Limited, owes the state more than $10 million in taxes.

It is alleged that, over a period of time, taxes - including GCT, education tax and PAYE - were collected but were not paid over to the Revenue Department.

Burke was granted bail in the sum of $100,000 and ordered to return to court on March 25 and 26 for hearing.

Burke, in responding to the charges, said his security company had been experiencing some financial problems over the last three years, due to the non-payment of outstanding monies by clients, as well as other issues.

"The company's viability is not that strong. We had a lot of tragedies for the last three years," he said. "We are owed large amounts; the Government owes us substantial amounts. One client owes us around $5 million and a government institution, which I won't name, has $3.6 million."

Moves to settle

Burke said his company had been in dialogue with the Tax Administration Services Department to settle the company's outstanding debts to the Government.

Burke's company was one of two brought before the court yesterday, as Linda's Flower Fair Limited was also slapped with income tax-related charges. When The Gleaner contacted the company yesterday, manager Lance Lawman was said to be out of office.

Merris Haughton, director of public relations at the Tax Department, said the arrests of six persons on Tuesday and yesterday were part of the department's drive to improve tax collection.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Why should there be cries of victimization?

The businesses and persons either owe taxes or they do not?

Now if by some 'coincidence' of those owing taxes only the citizens who are PNP sympathizers and or others who may have disagreements with persons within the JLP...then it would be hard to think that anyone outside of the JLPites would not consider the actions - i) part of the ongoing JLP strategy to 'trash' the PNP prior to what we know will be a comming General Election within this current 5 year period....and ii) a persecution of citizens along the lines of known fascist and dictatorial regimes.

PS: I have said before that Bruce has acted in a manner and said things/taken positions that point to dictatorial tendencies!
                Earlier this week 6 businessmen were taken before the court. You know the political affiliation of these people? Secondly, give an example where the PM exhibited "dictatorial tendencies"

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  Earlier this week 6 businessmen were taken before the court. You know the political affiliation of these people? Secondly, give an example where the PM exhibited "dictatorial tendencies"
                  I do not think this was the first case I referred to - but PSC!
                  Done talk!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    I do not think this was the first case I referred to - but PSC!
                    Done talk!
                    One mistake ... yuh should a only post "Done Talk!".. .. the PM standing up to PSC portrays him as a dictator? A whey yuh come from?

Comment

How is that dictatoral tendencies? especially if he acted within the law.

Dictators don't give their opposition more power in parliament, do they?

How many other appointment has he turned down? and how many other boards has he fired after doing good work?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Court says he was right!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          Court says he was right!
                          Knowing how Karl and Jawge programmed they may tell you the court is pro JLP. Hey ... expect anything from these fanatics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            One mistake ... yuh should a only post "Done Talk!".. .. the PM standing up to PSC portrays him as a dictator? A whey yuh come from?
                            Standing up to?
                            The PSC makes an appointment he dislikes and he destroy it? You call that "standing up to"...when this new entire goes against his 'likes' 4 or 5 times...what then destruction again?

Well if as some here say, past action is sure predictor of future action...then

Comment

So wait which Democratic president or prime minster never do the same thing?
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X