• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandals takes a bite out of the 'Big Apple'

Sandals takes a bite out of the 'Big Apple'
    By Keith Collister Observer writer
    Monday, March 03, 2008

It's inevitable. Soon now more New Yorkers will be escaping the icy chill of their northern climes to cavort in the warm blue waters of the Caribbean Sea and laze away on its sun-blessed beaches. Happens every time.

That is, every time that the formidable tag team of Gordon 'Butch' Stewart, Sandals Resorts chairman and his CEO son, Adam Stewart take on a North American city and roll out the Sandals and Beaches resorts marketing machine.

The dynamic duo of Gordon 'Butch' Stewart and his son, Adam Stewart pitching Sandals/Beaches Resorts to their New York audience recently.

It's the same pitch - Sandals/Beaches is about a "luxury-included vacation" that features watersports, spectacular suites, mahogany four-poster beds, plasma TVs, private plunge pools and jacuzzis, exclusive dining options, celebrated partnerships, lavish spas and even "the messiah" of English Butler service, the exclusive Robert Watson.

But New York's top travel media, and some of its key financial counterparts, turned out in impressive numbers to hear the message once again and enthusiastically pass it on to their readers and audience. It's something advertising dollars cannot buy.

Sandals' latest media assault began with a luncheon with senior travel and finance editors from the likes of Conde Nast Traveler, Citi Magazine, the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times and CNBC, among the always sought after media.

Philadelphia travel agent, Jennifer Doncsecz talking about how her life changed after her home-based travel agency placed first at the Sandals and Beaches' 2005 STAR Awards.

In his presentation at the Lever House, one of New York's trendiest restaurants, Adam Stewart struck a chord, saying for its luxury offerings, Sandals had tried to act as though it was starting with a "blank piece of paper", spending US$250 million over the last four years on their existing product. This meant a sharp increase in the size of their luxury rooms from the normal 300 to 400 square feet to 1,200 square feet.

"Butch" Stewart appealed to the entrepreneurial spirit of his American media audience, sharing his attention-grabbing story of how he started his first business, Appliance Traders Limited.

He noted too that his first Sandals hotel, purchased whilst run down and partially collapsed in 1981 amidst an economy "in wrack and ruin", had "good bones" from its original structural design by the great American architect Edward Durell Stone.

About the same time, he had taken a Club Med vacation, and being unimpressed by the small size of the rooms and Club Med's standard of only one restaurant, Stewart decided that his hotel should differentiate itself by being a true all inclusive and for couples only. He employed the same strategies of service exceeding the customers' expectations that he had used to build his air conditioning business.

Stewart shared with his rapt audience that the editor of a leading German travel magazine had recently told him that whenever they interview the CEO of an all inclusive chain, they always say they are better than Sandals. It's the quality by which they judge themselves.
    "There is no point in building a $100-million hotel on a silly beach," is Stewart's philosophy.

Seven years ago, and especially in the last three to four, Stewart said he had decided that luxury was the way to go. For Sandals this had meant not just giving guests a multitude of restaurants, great bedrooms, scuba diving, tennis, squash etc, but the creation of new even higher end "Royal Plantation" luxury brand. Their original Ocho Rios, Jamaica property has been joined by their new Bahamian private island, whilst the former Dragon Bay in Port Antonio, Jamaica will be their third Royal Plantation when it is reopened.

One of the marketing coups of the trip was the father-son interview on Fox Business news, which was promoted by the network as an interview with the "Cupid of the Caribbean", valued because it gave the Stewarts coveted reach into the milieu of financial professionals and businessmen and women on a day when they might be more inclined to book a vacation.

The highlights of the marketing trip included a day spent with hundreds of travel agents who form a critical part of the Sandals/Beaches sales force.
    Philadelphia travel agent, Jennifer Doncsecz held the audience with her inspiring story about the fortunes which followed the singling out of her home-based travel agency at the Sandals and Beaches' 2005 STAR Awards, where she placed first in the nation for group sales. That literally changed her life.

CNN Headline News picked up the story and did a profile on her company, VIP Vacations Inc, followed by her local paper. A month after receiving the award, she was asked by her local TV station to come in and host a monthly segment called Ask the Travel Agent. Now Doncsecz is the Philadelphia travel correspondent for Fox News, raising her profile and that of her agency to a national level, and providing her fellow travel agents with an inspirational example of what could be achieved through selling Sandals.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

So Karl them coulda do this from Jamaica?

You see the reason why the tourist board is needed to put togather some impressive shows for the smaller properties.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And yet they say the Observer is not Butch's personal mouthpiece.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi nuh get it. Why would anyone be surprised?

When a man have a big mouth it will only get bigger when him have money.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yuh luv change har-guh-ment een?

We were not discussing Butch Stewart's huge Sandals chain and its 'bottomless pit of money'....we were discussing the small hotels and villas and each individual small hotel and or villa lack of advertising and public relations funding!

They would be well advised to pool resources and get the travel agents and others who book tours to attend their promotional effort in JA as they lack the international awareness and appeal of a Sandals chain.

Why did I say that - a) Could arrange coverage by the local media...and request international coverage/copy writing by reps of international media houses resident in JA; b) Invite and provide lodging and service in/on their properties, add tours, etc; - sell the individual properties - c) sharing the cost of same!

Sandals is not in that boat. Sandals has an ongoing program of flying in and wining and dining those in the travel trade. It never stops!

Sandals also periodically in various parts of the World put on 'extravaganza' events similar to this New York caper! Money is not a problem! The brand Sandals draws persons and entities in the travel industry to the Sandals bashes as they are seen as "Do Not Miss"/"Cannot Afford To Miss" events! If you are in the travel business a Sandals Bash is where the 'celebrities of the travel world meet'.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well if the small one them pool there resources with the proper help they can pull it off as well.

That is the key to my argument. You act like Sandals was always big.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Well if the small one them pool there resources with the proper help they can pull it off as well.

That is the key to my argument. You act like Sandals was always big.
              Different world.
              Harder to pull off...
              ...than when Sandals was not Sandals!

Comment

No Karl there are organized travel shows, only thing you have to do is show up as a group with the right material and presentation, that is what the JTB can help them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  No Karl there are organized travel shows, only thing you have to do is show up as a group with the right material and presentation, that is what the JTB can help them to do.
                  Our little ones do not have a brand name. They are unknowns. Now who would take a chance of ruining their business for a no name entity...an entity that when making a reservation you cannot emphatically say, "great place"?

Just imagine - Hearing your travel professional tell you "you can take chance"?

Bring the travel industry experts to their establishments...and often...'kill them with great service and great fun...enjoyable time...and have them say to their clients - "Great little place to go. I can assure you that I visited and enjoyed myself immensely"... all done with the enthusiasm and memory of 'great joy/pleasurable stay' shining through".

Comment

Karl that is why you have them under the JTB umbrella. JTB is a brand name and should set the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      And yet they say the Observer is not Butch's personal mouthpiece.
                      another press release masquerading as news. it lead the online paper - was it the lead item in print?
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                      X