• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Take stand against violent music'

'Take stand against violent music'

Deborah John

Wednesday, February 27th 2008

In the wake of yesterday's stabbing to death of a secondary school student, at least one popular urban radio station has moved to clamp down on violent dancehall lyrics.

Well-known DJ, Kwesi "Hyper Hoppa" Hopkinson, special advisor/consultant at Red 96.7, described the stabbing incident as "the last straw" and he identified the music of dancehall star Movado as one of the chief offenders in this regard.

"There is no doubt that the music is influencing the youths towards violence. Particularly an artiste like Movado who says he's a gangsta for life and has the youths emulating that lifestyle," Hopkinson said.

Asked why these chose Movado in particular, Hopkinson said he has been in the business for over 12 years and understands what music does to people. He said he had nothing personally against Movado and his music.

"But we need to understand what Movado is doing to the youths when he says he's a gangsta for life. We have to take a stand against the music that's inflaming these young minds, because they are not strong enough to withstand these messages," he said.

Hopkinson said his Afternoon Drive programme, which airs from 3 to 6 p.m. daily, would be focussing on music with more positive messages. He also spoke about the music of 50 Cent and newcomers Busy Signal and Demarco as having negative influences.

Hopkinson said he hoped DJs at other stations would see the harm that is being done and take a similar stance.

"We certainly are taking a stand at this station," he said

I wonder if he was being taught about back stabbing Brutus, man like Anthony,with the entire cast of Julius's killing army?
    There are myriad reasons why violence..., but I agree starting with those careless DJs is good.., though honestly for some to wake up their record sales have to drop, again the handle(knife) has always been in our hands.

Blessed

Comment

Wonder if "we" should take a stand against "violent movies" and "violent video games" as well? Once again people barking up the wrong tree, and btw, I really enjoyed "Doom" on TNT last night, with all the shooting and killing of genetically mutated humans.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Here is the irony. I log on to red whatever and listen live and the first song I heard was a movada. Fact is we cant rely on musician to parents.

Comment

Okay ... fine ... ban the music. Lets see if the problem is solved. If the myth of music influencing the youths is to be believed, then what about a new series on CBS called Dexter?

I'm a huge fan of dancehall, gun lyrics, clash lyrics etc. "We gwine, murdah dem, murdah dem!" one of my favourite tunes from back in the day, however, I haven't killed anybody. I'm quite certain, I'm not the only one.

I'm no fan of Movado, as a matter of fact, I cannot see what the fuss bout this bredda is. However, it is idiotic to blame him and his music for the acts of a few.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
            Here is the irony. I log on to red whatever and listen live and the first song I heard was a movada. Fact is we cant rely on musician to parents.
            ... true ... because that isn't their role. They are ... (damn .. I got to say it), entertainers. Parents must be parent for their own children ... if dem cyaan duh the job .....
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Why is it that these DJs and singers always have fi big up the Don's and criminal elements, from Natty Morgan, to Sandokan to Zeeks, Duddas etc.

If you listen to some a the subline messages inna some a the songs you would realise that some a them a nuh no virtual thing but the real thing. A just the other day mi a listen to a tune from back in the days and I heard two lines that I didn't pay attention to and there was a subline message to a few REAL criminals, and it wasn't a dj but a popular singer.

It is not a matter of just talking gun talk but also worshipping Criminals.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

they need a scape goat

Comment

Working...
                X