Good People of the Forum.. there is crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good People of the Forum.. there is crisis

within our midst.. and I am deeply concerned.

Has anyone seen to the 'health' of Karl lately ?

How does someone post a commendation of a Public official as evidence of his 'God-Like' attitude. I implore the good people of the forum to analyze the article and point out to me ANY hint of this 'God-Like' behaviour to which Karl speaks.

Karl I pray that what you wanted to point to was cutoff. I am not sure but it appears you are trying to argue for conferring some order of distinction upon Christie.. please advise.

"Many government contractors are reportedly expressing concern over the approach and aggressive attitude of the new contractor-general, Greg Christie, especially in relation to the importance of tendering for road construction projects. Some of these projects are considered the government's gravy train for contractors through the scheme of high cost overruns. But the contractor-general is insisting that taxpayers get value for money and that a close watch is to be kept on the implementation of contracts.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Some contractors aligned to the People's National Party and Government are said to be bawling about Christie's appointment, saying it was a case of the 'wrong man' put in the job. It was a mistake, one contractor who prefers to remain unnamed, told me bluntly. On the other hand, many public service heads and private sector leaders have said that given the suspicion and corruption in the whole business of contracts and their implementation, Christie is the 'right man for the job' at this particular time. A colleague who knows Christie well told me that he is tough, determined, not afraid to confront people and is fiercely independent. He is the type of official that if anyone interferes or intervenes in his work, he will quit and say publicly why he did so. In his report on the controversial Sandals Whitehouse hotel construction, Christie lashed out at the breaches of the government's procurement procedures, mainly by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC). Top public servants have expressed shock at Dennis Morrison's frontal attacks in his column in the Observer on aspects of Christie's report, especially relating to the need and importance of contractors tendering for projects. The public servants were shocked because Morrison is chairman of two major public bodies - the Airports Authority and the Jamaica Tourist Board. He is also an economic adviser to the Government and a strong supporter of the ruling People's National Party. Christie appeared angry because Morrison questioned the legitimacy and logic of putting to tender certain projects in the construction of the Sandals Whitehouse hotel in the normal way. Christie made a devastating response to Morrison. Said he: "As senior public officers such as Mr Morrison should know, the reasons for having these rules and procedures are quite simple and rudimentary. One is that public bodies and public officers, when they award government contracts, are spending the taxpayers' money - not their own. Another is to ensure that there is absolutely no place in the public sector procurement process for the subjective opinions or discretion of public officers, especially those who may be inclined to usurp the prescribed and mandatory contract award and tender process by summarily deeming it to be 'irrelevant' or 'unnecessary' whenever it suits them to do so."<He continued: "The bottom line is that public officers must follow the prescribed procurement rules. They must do so irrespective of whether they like them or not. If they do not comply, they should be held accountable. For what is at risk is not only the irretrievable loss of the trust that the public has reposed in its servants, but also the v"
Working...
X