• Show
Clear All

• You go Dale!! Yesss

Dale Prevails
    Royale Rest hosts first burialMARK CUMMINGS, Observer West Senior Reporter
    Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dale Delapenha
    BURNT GROUND, Hanover
    Dale Delapenha's embattled Royale Rest cemetery beat the odds with a mid-day burial last Saturday that escaped the notice of strident protestors who had vowed not to let it happen.

"A burial was done there about mid-day on Saturday and the service lasted for about one hour; and we will do another one in a couple of days," Delapenha, managing director of Delapenha's Funeral Home told the Observer West.
    He, however, declined to say exactly when the next burial would take place.
    Residents of this deep rural community have been thwarting attempts to conduct burials at the picturesque 17-acre property in which Delepenha has invested some $40-million.
    They say their rationale is premised on fears that the cemetery, which they think is too close for comfort to their water table, could pollute their water supply.

Saturday's burial - the first to take place at the controversial 17-acre property - on Monday sparked the latest in a series of rebellions by angry residents who had vowed that no burials will take place at the site.
    The protest, which started from about 3:00 am, with angry residents piling huge trees and other debris along the road between the Haughton Grove and Ramble communities, kept a strong contingent of police busy as traffic backed up for miles.
    Gunshots reportedly rang out sporadically during the protest and the police reportedly carted off a few of the protesters to jail, for alleged breaches of the Litter Act.
    Earlier this month, a scheduled burial at the facility was thwarted, as residents blocked sections of the Anchovy to Ramble main road, preventing the hearse from taking the body to the cemetery.
    All this has distressed Delapenha, a qualified mortician who studied the science at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida, and completed a number of related courses at several overseas universities.
    "The situation is very stressful but I am not giving up," said Delapenha, who is also the Jamaica Labour Party Councillor for the Montego Bay West division. "It (Royale Rest) is the most environmentally-friendly cemetery in Jamaica. if it was a threat to the environment we would have pulled the plug on it a long time ago," he argued.
    A number of studies, including an Environment Impact
    Assessment (EIA) by the government's National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA), have stated that the cemetery does not pose a threat to the water table.
    However, the residents are disputing their veracity.
    Nevertheless, Delapenha, who told the Observer West that he was disappointed at the way the situation has taken on an appearance of "urban warfare," said he would not cower.
    "Abandoning the cemetery is not an option at this time. We will continue our lawful business," he maintained.

Afterall, mek di igle cayless naga dem go fine sinting fi do. Is wha do dem?
    Cho dem need fi put inna check.

Lazie, Sass, Ben, Gamma, Willi, MDMEX any comments?

I dont know much about this issue, but from the little I know I am against this decision!

I side with the environment and the locals. They should have done this up in a deserted hillside bush, far from large settlements.

See J, mi nuh Powda nuhbaddy and free to make up my mind on EVERY issue.

I am against National ID as well. I dont agree with the recent beatification of Castro neither. Sure he has done much good for Cuba (health, educ, etc), but what a price! His way of death, simple...he has blood on his hands. I dont forge the brigadista programme. Mi nuh like di Miami Cuban dem neither. Jack Mandora.

I dont agree with Bruce on everything, but you seem to be unable to see any flaw in Portia! LoL I see nuff nuff. I know what is Pain Land!

Comment

Willi remember the man got the approval from 2005, and a nuh mi say so a DK Duncan.

While I don't support it either it has to be solved but the JLP can't take all the blame. You listen to Jawge.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Jawge is acting like the man just got the approval in late '07/08. The NEPA approval was May '07. Since the residents are up in arms, why didn't they commission an independent study, instead of the block road business.

BTW - I have no idea where this place is.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

DK say the people them a use them judgement since others can't bury near there. He also said they don't trust the approving agencies.

In my opinion they may have real grouse and to be fair he spoke good about all sides. I support the fact that the people standing up for their rights something that is not done in Ja, most thime them stand up fi them wrong but it is not a simple JLP/PNP thing.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            DK say the people them a use them judgement since others can't bury near there. He also said they don't trust the approving agencies.

In my opinion they may have real grouse and to be fair he spoke good about all sides. I support the fact that the people standing up for their rights something that is not done in Ja, most thime them stand up fi them wrong but it is not a simple JLP/PNP thing.

Upon reflection, I think people instigating here.

The guy got the go ahead from long time, so why the hysterical response now?

Is not like the fellow s a bandooloo artist!

Comment

This land is very picturesque too, on a flowing hilside. would do well for a upscale development but.

Comment

Left Friday, came back only
                to see a revolt. Exile, yuh see anyting here boss?

Lazie give me your thoughts on the initial thread. Thanks.

Comment

willi, could it be that the people just got wind of what exactly is happening... thats a strong possibility...

i say, he should take his cemetery elsewhere... from my understanding its beautiful country there and we should not discount the environment...
                  'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

i heard that talk when i was there... lol... the man want come an ugly up de place wid cemetery fi mek money... jamaica people nuh ez...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                      Left Friday, came back only
                      to see a revolt. Exile, yuh see anyting here boss?

Lazie give me your thoughts on the initial thread. Thanks.
                      My position hasn't changed. Since NEPA has given the green light, the people dem pay fi get their own test done. Science supports the funeral home, whats the fuss? A link of NEPA's report is on the site.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It maybe that the citizen is right but the man got the permit and spent 40 million bucks as well.

While I support the citizen, as for me the acid test is "would you drink that water", but based on the people making decisions the man also have a right to be there as they gave him all clear signs.

This is a tough one and while I think it would be good for him to go elsewhere who is going to pay him back?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          It maybe that the citizen is right but the man got the permit and spent 40 million bucks as well.

While I support the citizen, as for me the acid test is "would you drink that water", but based on the people making decisions the man also have a right to be there as they gave him all clear signs.

This is a tough one and while I think it would be good for him to go elsewhere who is going to pay him back?
                          Another question, which is relevant somehow. (1) Who did Delaphena buy the land from? (2) Did they have any inkling what he would be using it for?
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                          X