Pity more of our high school kids don't have access to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pity more of our high school kids don't have access to

the internet and those with the access ...should check out http://www.caribbeanischools.com. Heard an interview on the Deacon's program this morning and found out that they have tutors from as far as Pakistan.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

When you were in high school you were not aware that we have always had in the system teachers from many, many different parts of the world?

...and just asking - Why are you pointing our kids to that web site? What do you hope they learn?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      When you were in high school you were not aware that we have always had in the system teachers from many, many different parts of the world?

...and just asking - Why are you pointing our kids to that web site? What do you hope they learn?
      When I left high school most of us could further our education and some could join the labour force. Whats the case today? Stop being defensive Karl.

Earlier this week there was an article about parents spending more on extra lesson than on books etc. This is just another avenue available to the kids preparing for their exams.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        When I left high school most of us could further our education and some could join the labour force. Whats the case today? Stop being defensive Karl.

Earlier this week there was an article about parents spending more on extra lesson than on books etc. This is just another avenue available to the kids preparing for their exams.
        Not sure what you are on about?
        ...but today...as it was yesterday...all kids can further their education and all our kids can join the labour force.

A big part of our problem is willingness to engage in low paying jobs while we keep an eye out to improved job opportunities.

Agricuture is one area where every child leaving school could find some type of employment...for example, too many would die before getting their hands dirty.

Funny thing is if all our kids aggressively sought employment prices would not rise as fast as is the case.

btw - I hope you were not saying the education system was so poor that opportunities for improving education is not available for the kids...or the majority of our kids...or even some of our kids?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Just realized the link I posted was wrong. It is http://www.caribbeanischool.com/

Comment

Not sure what you are on about?
            ...but today...as it was yesterday...all kids can further their education and all our kids can join the labour force.

A big part of our problem is willingness to engage in low paying jobs while we keep an eye out to improved job opportunities.

Agricuture is one area where every child leaving school could find some type of employment...for example, too many would die before getting their hands dirty.

Funny thing is if all our kids aggressively sought employment prices would not rise as fast as is the case.

btw - I hope you were not saying the education system was so poor that opportunities for improving education is not available for the kids...or the majority of our kids...or even some of our kids?
            The second line of yuh post simply prove you have no clue. Again, stop being defensive Karl.

Comment

Karl, Karl have you visited the site? This may be the site I hear them advertizing on CIN on Sundays.

Do you know how much money extra tutoring cost - think of AQuest (run by Dennis Minott) and those along that line.

I see nothing wrong with having a website where they can get help and at a lower cost.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

The second line of yuh post simply prove you have no clue. Again, stop being defensive Karl.
                You really believe that there is no opportunity for 'full employment'?

Look again at agriculture and the pressing need to re-establish food crops - e.g. rice in Westmoreland and the plains of Vere? Breadfruit just about everywhere? ...and on adn on...

When I was a boy no one could starve...there was always food to 'stone dwag'! ...'run a boat'...prepare for self and or family and friends? ..on the cheap...just about no cost?!

Look at our dirty streets!

Look at our physical infrastructure? - Roads, Sewage systems, Water supply systems? Telecommunications? Electricity supply? Transportation system? Towns and Villages that need modernisation? Our airports? Lack of functioning air strips/airdromes? Fire services? Emergency Medical Response Systems/EMS --- needing modernisation or creation or making into integrated all-island whole? and on and on...

Look at services provided by the government - lack of customer relations/service personel...; maintenance workers (ever been in our hospitals...the amount of equipment that do not work and or areas needing constant cleaning that does not have that 'round-the-clock' cleaning...etc., etc. ) ...and on and on and on...

Look at the prices of buildings - residential & commercial? Look at prices to refurbish and maintain those buildings?
                ...and length of time taken to put up new buildings?

...and you do realise that each individual identified area would need workers from menial/lowest levels through supervisors...junior managers...managers...upwards?

The lists could probably stretch around the world?!
                Last edited by Karl; February 29, 2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

General, those aren't my words, they're the word of the Education Task Force.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                    Karl, Karl have you visited the site? This may be the site I hear them advertizing on CIN on Sundays.

Do you know how much money extra tutoring cost - think of AQuest (run by Dennis Minott) and those along that line.

I see nothing wrong with having a website where they can get help and at a lower cost.
                    Yup!
                    I went into the site...
                    ...and I did not understand the purpose of why Laize was suggesting our kids go there?!

Comment

Yup!
                      I went into the site...
                      ...and I did not understand the purpose of why Laize was suggesting our kids go there?!
                      surprise us one day nuh Karl? You've been read like a nursery rhyme book as per Ray Hudson.

Comment

Just realized the link I posted was wrong. It is http://www.caribbeanischool.com/
                        OK!

Comment

Working...
                        X