• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Gibbs dead at 65

Producer Joe Gibbs dead at 65
    published: Tuesday | February 26, 2008

Joel 'Joe Gibbs' Gibson - contributed
    RECORD producer Joel 'Joe Gibbs' Gibson, whose [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]partnership[/COLOR][/COLOR] with singer Dennis Brown yielded a string of hit songs during the 1970s, died last Thursday at the University Hospital of the West Indies.
    Gibbs' son, Rocky, told The Gleaner that his father died shortly after suffering a heart attack. He was 65 years old.
    The Montego Bay-born Gibbs began producing on his Amalgamated label in the 1960s. His first major hit was singer Roy Shirley's Hold Them, but it was in the next decade that Gibbs really hit his stride.
    Brown, a former prodigy, cut a series of songs for Gibbs that were rarely off the charts. These included Money In My Pockets, Should I, [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Stay [COLOR=orange ! important]at [/COLOR][COLOR=orange ! important]Home[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], Love Has Found Its Way and How Could I Live.
    Other productions
    Gibbs also produced Culture's massive Two Sevens Clash, George Nooks' Tribal War and Althea and Donna's Uptown Top Ranking which made the British pop charts in 1977. His last major hit was singer J.C. Lodge's Someone Loves You Honey, a song originally done by African-American country singer Charlie Pride.
    Bass player Lloyd Parkes was a senior member of Gibbs' house band, The Professionals. He said while Gibbs was an astute businessman, he was not the great producer many believed.
    "I would call him an executive producer, most of the production was done by Errol Thompson and the musicians," Parkes said.
    Thompson was the engineer at Gibbs' [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Retirement[/COLOR][/COLOR] Road studio. He died in 2004.
    Gibbs is survived by 11 children.

Lloyd Parkes

Dennis Brown
    Lloyd Parkes' Joe Gibbs Top 10
    (1) Stay at Home - Dennis Brown
    (2) Love Has Found Its Way - Dennis Brown
    (3) Jah Jah (See Dem a Come) - Culture
    (4) Should I - Dennis Brown
    (5) Uptown Top Ranking - Althea and Donna
    (6) Visions - Dennis Brown
    (7) Foul Play - Dennis Brown
    (8) Fortyleg - Prince Mohammed
    (9) How Could I Leave - Dennis Brown
    (10) Someone Loves You Honey - J.C. Lodge
    Remembering Joe Gibbs
    Drummer Sly Dunbar, bassist Lloyd Parkes, keyboardist Franklyn 'Bubbler' Waul, guitarist Winston 'Bo Pee' Bowen and saxophonist Dean Fraser were all members of The Professionals, the house band at Joe Gibbs' studio.
    Although he recorded several hits for producer Clement Dodd and Winston 'Niney' Holness, Dennis Brown's most fruitful period as a singer was with Joe Gibbs.
    Visions and Words of Wisdom, produced by Gibbs, are considered Dennis Brown's best albums.
    Gibbs also produced Love Has Found Its Way, Brown's album for A&M [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Records[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Mick Hucknall of Simply Red covered Stay at Home for Sly and Robbie's Grammy-winning Friends album
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

The writeup on Gibbs is weak, and I can look forward to a well written article in the NY Times, or in the UK Press.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Or from some Japanese tabloid.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Producer extraordinar Joe Gibbs.

The man had a slew of hit songs and changed the music bigtime. If you listen most of Joe Gibbs produced tunes they are clean, well produced, back up vocals are great and the music is wicked. Strickly quality, was sad when he went out of business and sad to see him go.

RIP Joe Gibbs
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I agree. Legend indeed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Visionary in some ways. Had some great engineers

Comment

definitely a godfather of the evolution of reggae

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X