• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair to Obama

Unfair to Obama
    published: Tuesday | February 26, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    I suppose it is fair to say that Dawn Ritch is 'off the reservation'; her recent article titled 'Unspeakable Treachery' depicts Barack Obama as naive and lacking substance, but the truth is Ms Ritch's comments reflects a dysfunctional and myopic mind at work. First, black Americans are not obligated to vote for Hillary Clinton; the last time I checked, elections are an expression of an individual choice.

Second, Ms Ritch misrepresented the facts when she said Obama heavily supported the war in Iraq after getting to Washington. Senator Obama voted in favour of funding for the troops, which is ensuring that the young men and women who are there in Iraq are able to get supplies such as food, medicine and, of course, weaponry; but that vote is by no means an authorisation of the war.

Character vilification
    The sad thing about Ms Ritch's remarks is that she represents what is wrong about politics today, her remarks about this man are steeped in character vilification and not about the issues Senator Obama proposes; yes, he lacks experience, but look at the current president of United States who had all this experience as governor, and let's not forget that Obama is naive because he advocates sitting down and talking to world leaders who are anti-American. Yet when Ronald Reagan did it during the Cold War it was not considered naive, nor when Nixon met with the Chinese premier in the early '70s it was not considered weak and ill-conceived.

Barack Obama is appealing to a wide cross section of Americans because he recognises that people want a new type of politics, which requires a change in approach by its leaders because if the electorate let the same old dinosaurs back in power doing the same things, its obvious they will get the same results. Oh, that final remark was plagiarised; Ms Ritch, please enlighten your arguments by addressing the positions Senator Obama represents rather than engage in nothing more than a tawdry attempt at writing a serious article.
    I am, etc.,
    ALFRADO VERNON decassidi71@hotmail.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

NOTE-WORTHY: Distasteful rebuff
    published: Tuesday | February 26, 2008

Distasteful rebuff
    I am quite aware that journalists take unpopular positions to enhance their ratings but I still find Ms Ritch's strident rebuff very distasteful. Without doubt, Senator Obama is a blank slate. I am sure she has no substantial basis to vilify him, none that she has cared to share with her readers. Senator Obama has proffered his arguments and they have found great traction in the Democratic primaries and in all likelihood he will be the nominee and a strong contender for the top job.

Why the ad hominem comments? Criticise his platform by all means but eschew the personal. I have read Ms Ritch over the years and have concluded that she must be a most unhappy person. She is so vile and uncharitable. By all means, extol the virtues of your choice whether it be Portia Simpson Miller or Hillary Rodham Clinton, but do it without denigrating your opponent. History has shown that this style says more about the character of the author than that of the target. Ms Ritch has so much more to offer than this vitriol. - Capt Ian Grant, Senior Commander A330, Jet Airways (India) Ltd, Mumbai
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

hilary is deconstructing and it looks really bad...if she is not careful she is going to come across as a deranged spurned lover....

obama has conducted himself in an immaculate "above it all" manner....that is what is eating at hilary...she wants to drag him into a playground brawl and he easily sidesteps it everytime.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Respect Karl. I know I cussed you for posting the Dawn Rich piece of ****, but I have to now take back my words. You were being consistent.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          Capt Ian Grant, Senior Commander A330, Jet Airways (India) Ltd, Mumbai
          What does that have to do with anything?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Di man showing him credentials to add credence to his opinion.

Much like people who drive Escalades... dem making a statement..

Comment

Working...
            X