• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacks and the 'Obama complex'

Blacks and the 'Obama complex'
    published: Monday | February 25, 2008

The Editor, Sir:
    The ongoing elections in the United States reveals more than just failed policies and new promises. But it reveals an interesting understanding of the thinking of blacks towards the potential and success of other blacks. More than a few of my own people say the same thing concerning the potential of presidential candidate Barack Obama to become president of the United States. That Obama because of his colour would not have a chance in the democratic primaries, that he would never become president and if he won the presidency, he would be assassinated.

Well, Obama is doing great in the primaries, more popular that John Edwards and is in a virtual tie with Hillary Clinton with the support of some of the predominantly White states. He has singlehandedly reinvigorated the democratic process bringing in young and old voters alike who are attracted to his vision and ability to unite a divided country. With such potential and success, why do some of our own people discount his success? I would trace this inferiority complex back to slavery, an institution built on the notion that people with the lighter skin were better than people with the darker skin. It's a notion that the political and learning institutions have maintained over the centuries and one that our people continue to believe.

Colour issues
    I think as black people we still struggle with whether we are good enough because we are always told directly or indirectly that we were not the right colour. We still see ourselves as inferior to others, thereby unable or unworthy to achieve ultimate success. This is the attitude with which many blacks see Obama, unable or unworthy to be president because of the colour of his skin.

To limit ourselves is to encourage the lie that black people are inferior. We all have equal abilities, people with the lighter skin as people with the darker skin. The responsibility is up to us to believe in ourselves no matter what others say and work to our greatest potential. Barack Obama can be the president of the United States because he works hard and believes in himself. Like Obama, Anyone can achieve excellence if they work hard and believe in themselves; 'the sky is the limit'.
    I am, etc.,
    NYRON BLAKE
    nyronblake@yahoo.com Brooklyn, NY
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X