• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observer is good for something, I must

say. Mo no excuse, get busy:

St Catherine High shows off the 'art of the drum'

Saturday, February 23, 2008

The drummers from the St Catherine High School proved their greater dexterity and creativity as they beat out all contenders and took the title, Best Overall Performance at the second staging of the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission's Drumfest. The energetic drummers also captured the title Most Outstanding Group in the senior category.

The event, dubbed The Art of the Drum, had Emancipation Park pulsating on Thursday, with rhythms of the Congo and other drums, as students as young as five years old, displayed dominance and mastery over their instruments.
    Inaugural Champions, Innswood High School, were also impressive.
    With a mandate to unearth talent, the competition's organisers wanted to provide an avenue for players of hand- beaten drums to compete in a formal environment. "If you have a heart beat, you have rhythm and these students have exceeded themselves.
    Many of them, with further training, could go on to do this thing professionally," stated an ecstatic Ouida Lewis, master drummer and judge of the competition.
    A commanding drum call from the Akwaaba Drummers, opened the evening's proceedings and signalled the beginning of what proved to be fierce competition among schools and groups across the island.
    Interspersed between performances by the almost 40 finalists, were guest appearances by the Nomaddz, dub poetry group and an earthshaking and energetic performance by the L'Acadco drummers and dancers who delivered a piece entitled Amathagazelo.

I asked for the execs to get in touch with me
    on the matter of organizing something for qualifiers. The observer has revealed to us that there a many drumming groups in JA; yet we do nothing.

Why is it hard for us to have a marching band and a drumming group
    cheering our boyz on during qualifiers? This would even increase the RBSC's visibility and be good way of acquiring more members. I guess, I'm just a lonely voice out in the dark.

Garvey spoke of us and his words ring true to this day.

Comment

Working...
    X