Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourism and squeegee boys

Please, help us
    For weeks I have been like a recalcitrant child, unable to make up my mind about an issue that has been affecting me for the last two years, but was re-energised by a letter from a friend who visited Jamaica during the Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival.
    My big concern is the 'squeegee boys' (windscreen wipers) that are located at both the Baywest and KFC stop lights, in downtown Montego Bay, who have literally become a nuisance to the society.
    Everytime I've had to stop at these lights, especially by KFC, I feel threatened and so did my friend when she visited in January. I am repeating exactly what she said, "At one point, myself and three other girlfriends were surrounded by no fewer than eight boys jeering us with physical and sexual slurs. Why do we as a society put up with this? We turn a blind eye and grumble under our breaths. This situation is a time-bomb waiting to explode. One guy threw water in a friend of mine's face a few weeks ago. Must we wait until someone gets killed because he/she did not want his/her windshield washed?"
    questions
    These are the questions she wants answered by the authority, which handed over the mobile crime unit late last year to patrol the Hip Strip and that is the 'last' that we all saw of it.
    This is harassment, which I'm sure is a crime. Jamaicans from overseas visiting Montego Bay and those of us residing here have the right to stop at a stoplight without being harassed.
    My friend says she loves her country and returns every chance she gets, but if she continues to fear for her safety, "what's the sense?".
    Writing about this problem is even more pertinent with the recent return of the director of tourism, Basil Smith, from New York. The director spoke eloquently to the diaspora about the possibility of investing in their homeland.
    If the people he is targeting can't even stop at a stoplight in peace in the tourism capital, 'dog eat wi supper'.
    This one is for the Ministries of National Security and the Tourism. It is time something was done about this situation.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

how comes Jawge nah sah nothing.

You see why some people rather the al-inclusive rather than trying to solve our social problems.=
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I was in Mobay a few weeks ago and me tell the yout dem at that spot about 20 time fe leave me windscreen alone and dem still proceed fe put dem dutty squeege pon the car. Den them actually expect me fe give them a money.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I experience the same crap during after the Jazz fest at Fort St and the KFC intersection, they don't understand NO, until I went into the raw chaw Jamaican language. I don't mind the vendors of water, newspaper and such delikes.

Comment

Smaddy going set dem dog pon them.
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
          X