X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Bartlett's Bold prediction

Bartlett promises 70 per cent increase in tourist arrivals by 2012

Friday, February 22, 2008

TOURISM Minister Edmund Bartlett is vowing to increase tourist arrival to the island by 70 per cent or five million visitors by the year 2012, thus boosting the sector earnings to $75 billion annually.
    The tourism minister made the promise as he addressed major players from the tourism sector gathered at the Kingston Hilton Hotel yesterday for the first Tourism Outlook Seminar to discuss varying issues surrounding the sector and to chart the way forward.
    The initiative which according to Bartlett is dubbed 'Drive For Five', is also geared towards increasing visitor spending from US$85 to US$150 per person.
    Bartlett said this initiative will also address the ongoing social challenges the country currently faces.
    "It will make new revenue available to address issues like poverty, domestic crime and drugs," he said.
    Tourism, he explained is the largest provider of the country's foreign exchange accounting for 47 per cent while employing 80,000 persons directly and 180,000 indirectly.
    "It is the only industry in Jamaica today that provides support and assistance for every single layer of employable persons within the country," he said.
    While Jamaica has made great strides in establishing itself as a world tourism destination, Bartlett said it must now strategically promote accelerated growth to capture a greater market share and to build more prominent positioning in the global marketplace.
    "The successful strengthening of our infrastructure and our tourism product indicates that we're truly ready to attract new markets and to expand existing ones," he said.
    In exploring opportunities for continued growth, Bartlett said they will be strategically targeting new and emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia India and China.
    "While the threat of recession looms large, and could certainly be a deterrent to many travel plans, research and previous financial downswings indicate that Americans will continue to travel, especially those in the luxury sector," he said of North America, which remains the largest market to date.
    Bartlett said it is time to recognise tourism as a national priority and be aligned alongside industries like manufacturing and agriculture. As with these industries he said, it is imperative that the tourism sector have a system of satellite accounting that will ensure all the benefits generated by tourism are credited to national accounts.
    While tourists from North America account for 70 per cent of Jamaica's total arrivals, he said those travellers represent substantially less than one per cent of the continent's outbound travel.
    "So clearly there is a vast market to tap still," he added.
    As tourist arrival figures continue to mount, Bartlett said progressively more staff will be needed in ancillary service roles as tour guides and to man new attractions.
    "To meet this demand, we aim to attract an estimated 12,000 to 15,000 new recruits over the next five to 10 years, and to guide them in shaping successful careers in our hospitality industry," he said.
    The dramatic increase in hotel room count, he said, will create an enormous number of new jobs in the hospitality industry, averaging approximately two service staff per guestroom.
    He pointed further to the development by the RIU group which he said will create approximately 10,000 new hotel rooms.
    Meanwhile innovative development, he added, is illustrated by the work at Palmyra Rose Hall, Harmony Cove and Royal DeCameron.
    In addition, well-designed expansion, he said, will enhance Goldeneye while a current restoration project will make Devon House a major cultural attraction. Also new spas at hotels like Half Moon and Palmyra, will grow the island's share of the booming health and wellness travel market.
    Other areas of development in health tourism, he said, will be the development of Milk River Spa in Clarendon and Bath in St Thomas.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Him brave ... him certain dem gonna be there next year? Him nuh see the termites busy trying to get dem out ... and the Poppy Show Brigade cheering dem on?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Barbados gets 500,000/year for such a tiny country, and Jamaica is seriously under performing in this regard.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

True that, Bahamas get a whole lot too.

Well I only hope the drive continue and them really put in the nessecary work to achieve this.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the english gentility prefers barbados to jamaica.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Screw the English gentility. The American Spring Breakers and others (nudists, honeymoonists, etc) also need some place to go. Not to mention the Germans and Spaniards.

Do the English gentility part with their slave cash easily?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi think some forumites tell me them nuh need the springbreakers.

Everybody a talk bout "UPSCALE" client but if you open up to everybody and have the entertainment then the upscale clients will come too.

Comment

And with all the talk, mi can't see one ting physically happening to bring in the upscale tourists.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A pipe dream, everybody want upscale tourist.

Them also want to win the lottery. If we nuh have money fi advertise pon TV and inna regular magazine how we a go advertise where the ritz mingle?

It easy fi talk.

Comment

Upscale tourists also want to hang on to some of their "scales". We have to get the crime under control before we try and woo them to our murderous shores.

In a related story, DC United wants to know if they should bring their own security for the match against HVFC given the events of last Sunday. And wi a look upscale tourist? I guess they could bring their security detail as well!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jobs - ...also putting in support systems such as roads, sewage, water, telecommunication, agriculture, etc., etc.

...that renewal of and modernising of support systems and build out of same...particularly those to preserve our water supply and environment is vital....unless we want to 'kill' the country 'fas-fas'!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

funny nuh hell although them thing deh gwaan a merica all the time on a lower scale. I remember I use to play and manage in a Haitian league, we had good base support about 5000 a game but it was like a war we a go every Sunday to rhatid.

Yes we need to get things under control but something tell me we can do both at the same time. I have spoken to a few people recently who are want short trips and want to go to Ja if the price is right, what we have to realise is that there is direct competition so middle income people will choose to go on a cruise, go a Florida, Dominican Republic or Mexico etc. We must make them have to look on Ja twice.

Earlier in the year I encourage a girl to go to Ja with a group of 5 and she loved it so much see and 10 more people will be going later this year.

ps. Please don't tell Jawge a all inclusive they went

Comment

Working...
                        X