X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christiana teachers protest against poor discipline

Christiana teachers protest against poor discipline

Friday, February 22, 2008

Christiana High School Principal John Beckford, at his office yesterday. (Photo: Gregory Bennett)
    MANDEVILLE, Manchester - Classes were suspended yesterday at the Christiana High School as teachers, bearing placards, marched in the North Manchester town to protest student indiscipline following a physical clash between the school's acting vice-principal and two female students on Wednesday.

The Ministry of Education's regional director Vincent Guthrie, other ministry officials and the chairman of the school board met with the staff of the school yesterday afternoon in a bid to resolve the situation.

News reports from Christiana yesterday said Wednesday's ugly incident flowed from the use of make-up by a student, which is a breach of school rules. The acting vice-principal, Tatline Williamson, told journalists on tape that she fought "fist to fist" with the two students in the school's bathroom. One student had apparently come to the aid of the other in the "fight" with the teacher.

Williamson told how she grabbed a mirror from one student and "smashed it on the wall" because the teenager had disobeyed her order to "wash" the make-up from her face and was instead taking a protracted time to remove it with the use of tissue paper.

Williamson was unapologetic: "Although the Ministry of Education stipulates that teachers are not to hit students, I am standing firm... I am not backing down from any student. I retaliated, she retaliated, a struggle ensued..."

Other teachers had to intervene to break up the fracas.
    But one student told journalists that even after the "fight" was broken up and she was taken to the "office" by teachers, there was another clash between herself and the vice-principal.
    "She box mi an' mi box her back," the teenager said. A woman said to be the mother of the teenager asserted: "Teacher is wrong and my daughter is wrong also... teacher have no right to put her hand in my daughter face".

School principal John Beckford said yesterday afternoon that the incident was the latest of several examples of undisciplined behaviour at the school.

"Teachers are fed up...," he said. He said the situation was complicated by the fact that he was limited in terms of the disciplinary action he could take against students.

"I have tried to explain to my staff that I can't expel students just like that," he said. Both Beckford and Williamson want the Ministry of Education to give school principals and teachers greater "authority".
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Now this teacher is going on like a tegreg (sp). Confiscate the mirror yes, but did you have to smash it This IMO is only adding more fury to an already tense situation.

Then she "box" the pickney, and the pickney "box" har back! Lord have mercy, good thing the pickney neva have a weapon, because that pickney would have used it. Them both need a "TIME OUT"

Everybody need to learn conflict resolution!
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      Now this teacher is going on like a tegreg (sp). Confiscate the mirror yes, but did you have to smash it This IMO is only adding more fury to an already tense situation.

Then she "box" the pickney, and the pickney "box" har back! Lord have mercy, good thing the pickney neva have a weapon, because that pickney would have used it. Them both need a "TIME OUT"

Everybody need to learn conflict resolution!
      Is there a point when the teacher must just give up?

I can imagine - A class-room teacher commands a pupil to do a task..reasonable, fair and just request...and the pupil just goes right ahead doing "own thing"?

The teacher sends the pupil to the principal - the student refuses. The principal and teacher asks the parent to a meeting with pupil/parent/teacher/principal and the parent and child ignores the request.

...other pupils like what is happening and decide to do their 'own thing'.

No touching of pupils allowed!
      Where do we go from here?

If the teacher slaps the child...that is going on like a tegreg. Right! I'll say yes!

...but I'll say in this instant the teacher erred...it should have been a 'slap down'. ...and if the child even made an attempt to get up before authorised to do so...slap down again before child is even up...and keep it up until the message of 'you must obey is learned' and or 'followed'!

...either that or leave the classroom.

I would hazard a guess that if all teachers in JA stopped physically punishing the students today...'tomorrow' it would be 100% illiteracy and mayhem!

I know...in 1990 the thought was Jamaica was at its worst in terms of pupil behaviour in schools...well this is 2008 and guess what "Jamaica is at its worst"...I tend to say - unnuh caan stan deh allow kids to exercise without restraint 'expression of self' (wry smile)

...they will be the parents who injure teachers of tomorrow...and horror or horrors be the uncaring - see nothing, do nothing -bline an def teachers...leaving empty classrooms to 'kids out of control'...just collecting the pay-check....down and down we go...roun and roun we go in the bottomless pit! I can imagine that!????

I know perhaps 100% here can't! What is the saying, "That could never happen"!

...but just a moment wasn't there not a time when gun crimes could never happen more than once a year? ...and wasn't there not a time when any adult could correct a child away from home who was misbehaving? ...was there a time when 100% of female pupils would never even think of wearing 'make-up' to school...and 99.99999+% of pupils would always obey the teacher with alacrity...wasn't there a time night or day we could move freely and safely about the island...only who fraida duddy get fraid...wasn't there a time????
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"Teachers are fed up...," he said. He said the situation was complicated by the fact that he was limited in terms of the disciplinary action he could take against students

since WHEN?!!! where was this limit when i was going to school?!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I'm all for discipline. But reading this part, shows me the ANGER in the situation. I would think that in a situation that is already tense, and furious, one would act to diffuse that tension and lessen the impact.

Williamson told how she grabbed a mirror from one student and "smashed it on the wall" because the teenager had disobeyed her order to "wash" the make-up from her face and was instead taking a protracted time to remove it with the use of tissue paper.

Williamson was unapologetic: "Although the Ministry of Education stipulates that teachers are not to hit students, I am standing firm... I am not backing down from any student. I retaliated, she retaliated, a struggle ensued..."

In this instance, the student has not refused to remove the make-up, she has just decided to do it her way and remove it with the use of tissue paper, rather than washing her face.

I still maintan that Ms. Williamson did not have to SMASH the student's mirror. Confiscate the property, but do not destroy it.

This situation could easily have escalated to serious injuries.
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Sorry, I am with the teacher 100%!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

seems like the teacher or vp is wrong here. Kid break the rule suspend her dont do it as if your teacher would 30 years ago

Comment

Working...
              X