• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education minister says police must arrest school invaders

Education minister says police must arrest school invaders
    Luke Douglas
    Friday, February 22, 2008

HOLNESS... When someone invades a school compound it's the same thing as invading someone's home
    EDUCATION Minister Andrew Holness has again called on the police to take prompt action against persons who invade school premises to assault teachers and students.

He also advised school administrators to ensure that such perpetrators are arrested and taken to court for prosecution, rather than trying to deal with school violence internally.

"When someone invades a school compound it's the same thing as invading someone's home; it's a criminal matter and it must be treated as such," Holness said Tuesday. "I personally would like to see people who carry out such acts arrested and prosecuted. But too many principals and PTAs want to deal with them internally without carrying them to the courts. My view is that they (perpetrators) must go before the courts and an example be made of them."

The minister was speaking against the background of the now regular altercations involving students, their parents and friends, and school staff at educational institutions islandwide.

Some of the incidents have resulted in serious injury to students and staff. Just last month a teacher of Garlogie Primary and Junior High in Manchester was chopped and beaten by a mob which invaded the school premises. The teacher had been accused of administering corporal punishment on a student who did not do his homework.

Last Friday and on Monday, teachers of Ocho Rios High in St Ann stayed out of their classrooms in protest of a parent who allegedly threatened a teacher with a knife.

A source at the Williamsfield Police Station told the Observer that one person has since been convicted in the court in relation to the Garlogie incident. The minister also expressed his dissatisfaction with the response of the police to school violence.

"The Ministry of Education is not the Ministry of National Security, and I will be meeting with the minister of national security and the commissioner of police to let them know that when such acts of violence and threats occur, the police must move swiftly to demonstrate their own disgust. They will not be able to solve the national crime problem unless they are able to set an example in the schools," Holness stated.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Lock up dem backside yes.
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Agreed 100%

For those living in Babyl...America, this might not come as a surprise, but I was told that in several school districts in America, ordinary people cannot walk onto the premises unless cleared by some authority that he or she has never been convicted for some sexual offence, unless it's a parent. That includes picking up a student, asking for driving directions...NOTHING! The school is sacred ground.

I don't really have a problem with that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have first hand knowlegde on this.

If kids are late parents have to be with them and the parents drop them at the front with explanation and the kids go to class, the parents can't.

If you are a visitor you have to register upon entering the building and given a badge if you have a reason to be there.

You can't just come walk around like you crazy.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

..and you are asked to sign out when you leave the building.
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

these days in america kids have less to fear of gunmen from outside the school...is the one dem dat attending the school doing all the shooting!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

that's the least. at some schools, you cannot be on the premises unless you have some court document saying yuh never molest nuh pickney inna yuh life!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True dat; nuff time mi haffi show
                mi driver's license just fi see son (granted I was called in by the school).

Yuh ketch serious trouble up here, if yuh go pon compound an assault teachers (how tings a run, yuh goodly end up under patriot act; hence deemed a terrorist) No sah, school an school pickeny, yuh walk wide of here. Ja different story I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X