Opposition welcomes police murder statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposition welcomes police murder statistics

Thursday, 21 February 2008 Opposition Spokesman on National Security Dr. Peter Phillips has welcomed news of a reduction in the murder figures for January.

The Police High Command reported that for January 2007, there were 137 murders compared to 149 for the corresponding period last year.

This is an eight per cent decline.

Four policemen were also killed during the period under review.

Dr Phillips said while everyone is pleased about the reduction in bloodshed, the important issue is for this to be sustained.

"It is also important that we maintain the pace of reform in the security forces generally. I think that the anti-corruption effort that was started years ago needs to be intensified as is being done as we move to bring an additional Assistant Commissioner of Police from overseas, which needs to be done. (There is the need) for better equipment and greater levels of accountability. This is one area where I think there is need for a basic consensus as to the way forward," he said.

In addition, Dr. Phillips hoped that the government would bring forward draft legislation prepared under the former administration.

These include the appointment of an independent investigative agency and deliberation on the Port Security Act.

"I think too that we need to see the review and hopefully the reform of the Anti-Corruption Act. All these things form part and parcel of an overall reform effort. So this represents and important development which we need to sustain. But we need also to complete the reforms so that we can return Jamaica to a tolerable sense of security," said Dr. Phillips.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

now...this is the kind of measured approach to politicking that we need.....not the one where everything that one side or the other says is a bone of contention.

phillips has made his political points but not in a bellicose manner.....i respect that.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

he is not danny buck. has always been measured and fair, in my view. prime minister material!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

agreed!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X