• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name for Stewart's PM tabloid

How about Labourite Time(s)?????

Time to exit the closet.

Thousands flood Observer with names for new afternoon tabloid

Thursday, February 21, 2008

THOUSANDS of Jamaicans yesterday submitted names for the afternoon tabloid promised by Jamaica Observer chairman, Gordon 'Butch' Stewart for March 7, 2008, the 15th anniversary of the newspaper he founded.

Observer IT manager, Dean Knight, reported that at 3:00 pm when the competition ended, he had tallied just under 9,000 entrants, many of whom had submitted multiple names.

Stewart admitted he was overwhelmed by the responses to the one-day "Name-The-Paper" competition, which he announced yesterday on the Nationwide Radio programme, This Morning, hosted by Emily Crooks and Naomi Francis.

"I expected a brisk response because the Observer enjoys much goodwill in our society. But even so, I was overwhelmed by the number of people sending in names in the short period of time, which we gave them," Stewart said, "especially since they could only submit names by e-mail or text-messages."

Among the easily recognisable names who made suggestions were: Don Topping, Patrick Lafayette, Dawn Ritch, Claude Mills, Joan Andrea Hutchinson and Collin Greenland. Suggestions came from as far afield as Switzerland and Toronto, Canada.

The Observer chairman had promised to announce the name on the Nationwide at Five programme yesterday, but said the committee sifting the names needed more time to adequately go through them. The name is now expected to be announced today during the Cliff Hughes-led current affairs show.

Stewart also upped the prize - a seven-day luxury-included vacation at any Sandals/Beaches resort in the Caribbean - for the person who submitted the name chosen, saying he would give six seven-day vacations, given the huge number of responses. The additional five would be drawn in a raffle, likely to be done today on Nationwide Radio.

Jamaicans showed much creativity in the names submitted, including such gems as "Issuses" (issues and suss); 'Zimmie' as in 'Yu si mi'; 'Vita-Write'; 'Vibeserver'; 'John Publick'; 'Observer Café', 'Spunk' and 'Runnings'.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

But I thought Butch was a Komrade ??? What happen ? Fallout ?

Your timing is convenient.

Stop with the pretense.. please.

Comment

Wait Don, yuh only have a problem with him now?

When he was rescuing PNP Govt with 22 to 1 rate or a part of the New Light Movement in the 1970s, he was OK?

Butch is certainly looking to feather his nest more, but the PNP has laid a solid foundation for him in the past. Besides, if he is progressing as Jamaica progresses, what is the problem? We only need to make sure that the system is fair.

Comment

Not joining any political discussion but what is this about "if he is progressing as Jamaica progesses"? Too many Jamaican 'businessmen' and 'politicans' have used this mantra to empty public coffers, abuse public office or have unfair advantage over others in the marketplace. There is no fairness in insider trading, abuse of power and position. there is no justification on either side of the political fence. Period.

Comment

But it is up to the government to make sure it nuh happen but we elect them PNP and JLP and mek them give it away and we support the foolishness. It is not about politics it is about collective responsiblity and if you give most businessman loophole them a go take advantage, just as Bill Gates did.

government needs to foster an evironment where people everybody get a chance to grow and foster especially small business.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I agree with you Assasin, and when we can develop the institutional frameworks that facilitate businesses REGARDLESS of political affilliation, then we have moved forward. I am also very aware of political sensibilities and biases BUT it should not be the over-arching principle.
            Businesses and individuals should not be supporting parties to get handouts...but I guess I am only dreaming.

Comment

The country is downright sick and divided. We spoke about how opposition members play too much of an important role - from meeting heads of states, to giving addresses come Emancipation Day. (No, I don't need a message from the Opposition Leader for any holiday, Christmas included!) Even when they attend court, they have to be donned in Shower Green or Power Orange. It's always about party, never about Jamaica.

Note how American presidential candidates very rarely ever step away from using their "national colours" in their logos and signage. I think that may be the other extreme where anything other than red, white and blue almost suggests treason! But I would rather that extreme than ours.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                Not joining any political discussion but what is this about "if he is progressing as Jamaica progesses"? Too many Jamaican 'businessmen' and 'politicans' have used this mantra to empty public coffers, abuse public office or have unfair advantage over others in the marketplace. There is no fairness in insider trading, abuse of power and position. there is no justification on either side of the political fence. Period.
                The philosophy of "no insider trading, using power and influence for gain...and the assumption that it is unfair"!

Considering Jamaica is so small is it possible to have that "no insider trading, using power for influence and gain"?

...when is it fair (...and to whom is it fair?) to use network of friends and acquaintances to promote personal gain? Isn't it always the case that when personal 'contacts' are used it to effect gain, it is thus never an even playing field for those who do not have such 'contacts'? Is it then not unfair to those without the 'contacts'?

Damn without that 'insider track' many on the outside do not even know there is such a 'playing field'...forget about having a chance...fair chance to get in the game!

It would appear that the self-righteous indignation that 'this unfairness'...sense of unfairness feeds on springs from a sense of hopelessness felt by those on the outside and appearances of 'excess gains' by those who use their 'connections'. Some in our Jamaica situation even make reference to this by saying 'mek everyman eat a food'! ...and the converse 'what a wiked so-an-so im tink a im alone fi nyam'!

Then, ofcourse, there is the question - Who among us has never ever used information and or connections not available to all others, to own advantage? Abuse of power...and privilage? ...or just the way of man? If it is the latter could it be perceptions of "unfairness" really has to do with degree and or amount of gains derived? mmmm?

In each individual's mind when does using connections for gain rise to the level of corrupt behaviour? Is it just a vague we just know, when we know?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Good, Karl. Very good thoughts and questions. And to think that I actually read the entire thing, the patois parts included!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi agree wid unnuh...mi seh it on here nuff nuff times...our politcians have only been concerned with acquiring power for the scarce benefits aspect, they have exhibited no love for jamaica...if they did how could we have developed garrisons and the political gunman culture? nuh power at all costs politics dat?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

But nuh dat mi seh.

Besides his progressing should be in the private sector!

Comment

Preach it Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post

Exile,

this is about Jamaica not partisan politics.

I thought I was always clear on that. My loyalty flows to those who do right by the country in my estimation. It fickle, not set in stone.

Comment

Amen

Comment

Sass what loophole did Bill Gates take
                              advantage of (within the US public coffers). Thanks, I can't wait for you to educate me here.

Comment

Working...
                              X