X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work to Begin Soon on JTB Website

KINGSTON (JIS)
    Friday, February 15, 2008

Work is to begin shortly on the construction of a website for the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB), that is consistent with the agency's marketing thrust.

Speaking at a press briefing held at Jamaica House on February 13, Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett informed that the US$280,000 contract, was awarded to a United States company, DRAFTFCB, for the "design and development of a website that reflects the layout and branding of a leading destination marketing website."

The scope of work include: selection of sites and sub-site themes; effective integration of advertising and public relations campaign; the design and customization of appropriate modules that can book, using vacation or resort themes; visitor engagement modules, including those for surveys, calendars, blogs, and syndication services.

Mr. Bartlett said the contractor would implement effective search engine optimization features, for site and site content and to recommend and guide the preparation of appropriate creative materials for each module.

Knowledge transfer sessions are also to be conducted for JTB technical and marketing support staff in the areas of hardware, operating system and database; code structure and maintenance; content submission and approval process; site statistics collection and analysis techniques; joint project management services; design phases; development phases; implementation phases; and initial post-implementation and support phases.

Noting that work is scheduled for commencement shortly, Minister Bartlett said, "this is important to us, because we have to support all our stakeholders, particularly our smaller stakeholders, in providing a powerful marketing engine that can drive bookings for them, and can give the market an excellent perspective on their properties, and the features that they have. So this website will have all the modern technological features."

Director Tourism, Basil Smith pointed out that 60 per cent of shopping for travel was now done online, as well as 40 per cent of active booking. "In short order, that percentage of active booking is expected to reach 60 per cent. We must emphasize that there remains a place for the retail travel agent," he said.

He said the current JTB website has some shortcomings and there was a need to simplify access to information on the site, and provide easier navigation, as well as increase the ability to interface with the more contemporary technologies. "At the same time, there are features in the existing site which are redeemable.I must emphasize though, that what we are doing is completely replacing, not rebuilding or rehabilitating, the existing site," he stressed.

Meanwhile, the Tourism Minister said he was proud of the JTB's ongoing marketing drive. "We went into new and interesting media avenues. Traditionally we have not maximized our position utilizing cable, and so we went heavily into cable," he pointed out, noting that advertisements were being seen in South America, the entire United States, and Asia. "What that gives us is a greater depth in terms of our reach into the interior of the marketplace," he added.

Mr. Bartlett said this visibility has allowed for greater possibility of agreements with airlines for flights from critical hubs, which before now, did not have flights originating in those areas to Jamaica, as there were not enough visitors to make it feasible for airlines to fly from those places to the island.
    Last edited by Karl; February 17, 2008, 10:28 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

.. pity ... why wasn't this contract given to a local company? I guess this was the lowest bidder.

I've always wondered why there was no site for the JTB. Any time I need data about tourism I have to go treasure hunting.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

US$280,000 for a website?!? Is that the norm?! I'm in the wrong field!

Seems like it will be a top notch website, but I am wondering if they will maintain it and why wasn't this need recognised until now?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        US$280,000 for a website?!? Is that the norm?! I'm in the wrong field!

Seems like it will be a top notch website, but I am wondering if they will maintain it and why wasn't this need recognised until now?
        There is no question if the site is needed. If we need data about our tourism, where do we get it?

Reggaefan should be able to tell us about the cost ... but then again, he is one of those afraid to come to the Thinking People Forum.
        Last edited by Lazie; February 15, 2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

But a J$20,000,000 website?!?!

I just spoke to a person who does websites here in Jamaica and he is dumbfounded. (By the way, Lazie, I have no idea if he is a comrade or a labourite, so let's keep the politics out of it.) What kind of a website is worth J$20M?

Apparently, according to the local IT exec, the JTB knew that this was never going to go to a local firm. (Just last night I was watching the news where those 4 NCU students were being lauded by Microsoft execs about not just their 3rd place winning entry in some int'l IT competition, but about the charisma, drive, eloquence et al. And here we are selecting a farin company to design a site for fariners instead of locals designing a site for fariners. The latter wasn't going to cut it.)

We were both wondering, a coulda wha suh wid dis website?!? The IT exec felt that there was nothing in it that a local company could not have done and he thought the tender from the get go unfairly excluded a number of local companies.

Whether unnu want to believe it or not, there are some talented web designers in Jamaica. Indeed, many may have developed and refined their craft while living in the USA, but they are here now and would have relished this opportunity. Time for us to encourage our local industries. And this is not to say that if the expertise doesn't exist here we should just throw up something and call it a website. But, according to this IT exec, that is certainly not the case here.

J$20M or US$280,000 - whichever way you cut it, somebody is being paid!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"By the way, Lazie, I have no idea if he is a comrade or a labourite, so let's keep the politics out of it"

No reason to be defensive. Questions do need to be asked. I did PM RF to get his opinion about the cost. It is alot.

Comment

I agree but your words are falling on
              deaf ears. Now you see why I called for the civil rights bill.

Comment

Jawge, if the JTB was intent on winning business house football, we would all understand if they paid that amount to a Brazilian coach. But for a website?!?

I'm going out to buy Website Design for Dummies right now!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yuh see mi Any software (tutorials, ebooks) yuh needmek mi
                  know. Heh heh.

Comment

Maybe we should have Jawge submit his bid.

Dat is too much money

Surprised that JTB didn't have a site before. I ongle hope that the site is MAINTAINED, cause there are too many existing with outdated information:

ISSA
                    JAAA
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Not a web designer; a gatekeeper.

Comment

why not a designer? not technical enough?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Have you seen the gate key? It's a piece of work, high tech stuff!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

das what i mean...., really....for real life i'm not joking

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

try ending your day pby saying something positive
                              then go off surfing in the wind. Tell me next week if things were any different

Comment

Working...
                              X