X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mullings wants Kern suspended from the House

Luke Douglas
    Thursday, February 14, 2008

MINISTER of Energy, Mining and Telecommunications, Clive Mullings is of the view that opposition Member of Parliament, Kern Spencer, should be suspended from the House of Representatives until the Cuban light bulb scandal is fully addressed.

Assertions in the contractor general's report on the matter that Spencer failed to disclose that his child's mother was one of the main contractors in the programme to distribute the bulbs, was enough reason to suspend him from the House, the energy minister said yesterday.

"At the very least I believe he should be suspended from the House. The Contractor General's report has in it the assertion that Spencer concealed material information that one of the contractors was his child's mother," Mullings told journalists following a presentation at the University of Technology (UTech).

The minister said he did not move a motion in the House on Tuesday calling for Spencer's suspension because the contractor general's report had just been tabled in Parliament, and as such he wanted to give the members time to read it.

"But I would not rule out moving such a motion in the near future," Mullings warned.

Meanwhile, the minister expressed disappointment with the response of the opposition People's National Party (PNP) to the contractor general's report, saying that the party seemed more concerned whether the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) had leaked the report to the media, rather than with the report's contents.

"I am saddened by the fact that an assertion can be made in Parliament about a commission of Parliament on such a delicate matter without any evidence being brought," Mullings said.

On Tuesday, the opposition called on Parliament to investigate the conduct of the OCG in the report getting into the public domain before being tabled in Gordon House.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X