• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's organisation gives to GC Foster students

(good job Karl)

Women's organisation gives to GC Foster students

DANIA BOGLE, Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, February 14, 2008

Jamaica Women in Sports Society members Millicent Lynch (left) and Yvonne Kong (second right) pose with bursary awardees Nandi Levy (second left) and Karen Henry at yesterday's presentation at GC Foster College. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)

THE Jamaica Women in Sports Society (JWISS) yesterday presented two cheques valued at $35,000 each as bursaries to GC Foster College students Karen Henry and Nandi Levy from part of a $150,000 fund raised by the organisation at a charity spin-off the body held last December.

The bursaries were awarded to both students who were selected solely by GC Foster College administration based upon their academic performance, discipline, potential to be good athletes, and volunteerism.

Twenty-one-year-old Levy is in the second year of a three-year Diploma in Sports Education with focus on netball and volleyball, while 31-year-old Henry is in the final year of a two-year certificate programme with focus on netball.

"I'm grateful because I was not sure where I would get the next dollar from to attend college... I know there is a reward for volunteerism," Levy said.

JWISS head, Carole Beckford, pointed out that the bursaries were specifically for the personal development of both students and not to be used towards tuition.

The charity spin-off was the first event staged by the JWISS, which was formed in September last year, and Beckford said the organisation hopes to stage two events per year, with the next being a conference on career options in sport to be held in May, and will also be trying to find other ways to benefit women in sports as well as attempt to defray costs and find more ways to make a valuable contribution.

National swimming technical director Jacky Walter, Executive Manager, Marketing at Caymanas Track Limited Millicent Lynch, former national netball captain Oberon Pitterson, and GC Foster College principal Yvonne Kong are also members of the Jamaica Women in Sports Society.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X