RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dean strikes back - Accuses Finance Minister of capturing ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean strikes back - Accuses Finance Minister of capturing ..

Government of Jamaica land - I offered to buy - Shaw
    published: Thursday | February 14, 2008

( L - R ) PEART, SHAW

A former minister in the previous People's National Party (PNP) administration has claimed that Finance Minister Audley Shaw captured government land in the past and shunned attempts by the state to negotiate its divestment.

Dean Peart, the Minister of Land and Environment in the P.J. Patterson-led government, told The Gleaner yesterday that if the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) witch-hunt was not on, the revelations would probably not have been made.

"We are colleagues. Whether PNP or JLP, but oh God man, you can't just go out to destroy the man," Peart said in reference to embattled PNP Member of Parliament Kern Spencer.

Spencer is listed among 71 persons/bodies to have purchased government lands between 2004 and 2007 without the approval of the Land Divestment Committee. The committee was set up by Peart to ensure transparency.

Tarn Peralto, the JLP Member of Parliament for South East St Mary, had tabled questions to his JLP colleague, Dr Christopher Tufton, the current minister of agriculture. He wanted to know the number of parcels of government lands sold between 2004 and 2007 when Peart was minister.

Response

Tufton's response on Tuesday, in the House of Representatives, showed that Spencer bought two acres of land in Gilnock, St Catherine, for $2.8 million. It also revealed that Cool Oasis purchased lands in Sedburgh, Manchester, for $1.2 million. This parcel of land in Manchester was part of the property on which Shaw's gas station was located. The gas station was later sold to Cool Oasis, a service station chain which is owned by Joe Issa.

Peralto told the House on Tuesday that according to the document, "a member in this House is listed as having been granted a property approved by the minister but (the matter) was not sent to the Land Divestment Committee."

He later sat and shook hands with Othneil Lawrence, JLP MP for North West St Ann.

Yesterday, however, Peart was militant.

"A JLP government come to lick down Kern Spencer now. All di charade dem gwan wid inna Parliament is fi Kern Spencer," Peart said.

"But di same knife stick sheep, stick goat," Peart said as he repeated an old adage.

Refused to dialogue

The PNP spokesman on Local Government claimed that Shaw captured the land and refused to dialogue with government agencies to pay for it.

"We try everything to contact him and to collect the money from him and Mr Shaw refused to negotiate. Him not even say the price was too high or anything, him never pay us no mind," Peart said.

Shaw, however, said that the land was nothing more than an old road.

"It is a little strip of land which represents a part of an old main road, which would have been owned by the Ministry of Works," Shaw told The Gleaner yesterday.

The land is 844 square metres in size or just a shade under quarter acre.

"That (the old road) was the access to the land. When I owned it (gas station), I brought the Ministry of Works down and showed it to them and they say OK. I specifically said to them that I would be prepared to purchase it," Shaw said.

"The truth is that you want to involve Audley Shaw's name because it is sexy and romantic. What is being referred to as a piece of land is an old road and to get on the blasted land you have to drive on the old road," Shaw said.

But Peart is contending otherwise.

"He captured it. I gave instructions to the land agency to survey it, value it and write to him. I did that and he didn't respond at all to them," Peart said.

He added: "After him capture it, my people wrote to him and tell him he has to pay for the piece of land and he said OK.

"What hurt me is that all of Jamaica upset when Kern Spencer purchase a piece of land, applied for it and buy it. Shaw, who is the Minister of Finance now, capture government land and is no big thing," Peart said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I acquired my land fairly - Roper

published: Thursday | February 14, 2008

REVEREND GARNETT Roper, one of the beneficiaries of government lands for which the Land Divestment Committee was not consulted, has said that he acquired his property fairly.

The lease of the lands, five acres located in Bernard Lodge, St Catherine, was approved by Dean Peart, who was minister of land and environment at the time.

The approved price was $15,000 per annum over 25 years with five-yearly rent reviews.

Rejections

"I reject as false and without foundation any suggestion that I have benefited improperly from government land," Roper said.

"I also reject as an inappropriate use of Parliament and the media to seek to sully the good name of persons regarded as the political opponents of the Government," Roper added.

Meanwhile, yesterday's publication of The Gleaner had incorrectly named Roger Clarke as the minister who had responsibility for land at the time.

Also, Dr Carlton Hay, of NHL engineering, contacted The Gleaner yesterday to say that he was not the Carlton Haye who is listed in the minister's report as having been allowed to lease lots at Bernard Lodge, St Catherine.

Procedure for the divestment of Crown lands

1. Commissioner of Lands requests a valuation from the Land Valuation Department and information with respect to sustainability from agencies such as the National Environmental and Planning Agency.

2. The minister is informed of the recommendations.

3. The National Land Divestment Committee is required to review the recommendations and advise the minister.

4. The minister determines the sale price and may stipulate the conditions for which land may be used. He may consult with whomever he wises before making his decision.

5. The ministry transmits the minster's decision to the commissioner of lands

6. If the minister has approved the divestment, the commissioner of lands issues a letter confirming sale/lease to the applicant.

7. Once the terms and conditions have been agreed to, a formal sale agreement is prepared for the signature of the parties involved.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Tufton moves to tighten land divestment process

BALFORD HENRY, Observer writer balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com
      Thursday, February 14, 2008

THE Crown Property Vesting Act is to be amended to give the National Land Divestment Committee (NLDC) legal authority in the process of divestment of all government-owned lands, Minister of Agriculture and Lands Dr Christopher Tufton said yesterday.

The minister's announcement followed his revelation in the House of Representatives on Tuesday of the names of more than 140 people, including embattled Opposition MP Kern Spencer, who had been approved by former minister of lands, Dean Peart, for the purchase of government-owned lands between 2004 and 2006 without the involvement of the divestment committee.

The list also included the names of several major companies, as well as well-known radio personality and pastor of the Portmore Missionary Church, the Rev Garnet Roper, and former PNP cabinet minister, Desmond Leaky.

Dr Tufton told the Observer yesterday that although the committee has been in place for several years, it has never had the authority of legislative support which has left the process open to exploitation by the minister.

"We intend to change that very shortly," he said.
      Tufton also said he would soon be introducing to Parliament a new Government divestment policy to guide the divestment of crown lands, as well as a policy for the divestment of houses owned by the Government.

The amendment to the Crown Property (Vesting) Act has been included in the Government's legislative programme since November 30 last year and, specifically, states that it will appoint a national divestment committee to advise the minister on divestment.

Tufton admitted yesterday that the tenure of the current divestment committee, headed by the Rev Oliver Daley, will soon expire as he has already chosen the members of a new committee which is, currently, awaiting Cabinet's approval.
      The new divestment policy for Government lands and houses has not yet been approved by the Cabinet.

In response to questions raised by Government MP Tarn Peralto (South-East St Mary) in the House of Representatives, Dr Tufton provided Parliament with a list of persons who had been approved by Peart for the purchase of Government-owned lands since 2004.

The list included two acres at Gilnock, St Catherine, which was sold to Spencer for $2.8 million in March 2006. It also included Leaky's lease of half acre in Martha Brae, Trelawny for $4 million for 16 years with an option to purchase, and Roper's lease of five acres of lots at Bernard Lodge, St Catherine, for $15,000 per annum. None of the properties was advertised for sale.

Since 2005, the Contractor General's Office has raised concerns about a lack of transparency in the process of divestment of Government lands, and the failure of both the National Land Agency (NLA) and the former Ministry of Land and Environment to promote compliance with Government policy on the divestment of state-owned lands.

That year, the previous Contractor General, Derrick McKoy, in a report to Parliament said that the process was not transparent, appeared to be occurring contrary to the terms of reference of the divestment committee, as well as prime ministerial instructions, and without the use of advertisements and invitation for tenders.

These concerns were echoed by the current holder of the office, Greg Christie, who requested the support of both the Cabinet and Parliament in addressing his concerns about the way in which the lands were being disposed of.

Christie recommended, in 2006, that all Government properties should be divested through the NLDC and that, in every instance, the process must include the advertisement of the sale offer.

Former minister of agriculture, Roger Clarke, had responded that his ministry was preparing a manual with procedures for the divestment of the lands. However, Tufton said yesterday that he had seen no evidence of a divestment manual at the ministry.

Clarke had also given an assurance that the committee would ensure that Government-owned land is disposed of "fairly, equitably and in a manner that will widen the land ownership of the country".

Comment

A mad house this to rhatid. See why people like these can't run a government?

If Shaw capture government land then the PNP who was in power shouldn't have acted, sue him, lock him up etc. Them allow a opposition member fi do that? imagine what them woulda allow their fellow PNP members fi do.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The piece a land I want dem to investigate is all that on the beach in Llandovery in St. Ann. The names I hear that own all that land .....

Comment

actually there is a provision in the law which allows people to "capture" land and obtain title by prescription.

this capture land thing should be a black eye to Shaw ..... but kern spencer is a bloody nose...remember...is not just about land....there is a pattern and practice.

and dean is right, same knife whey stick sheep WILL stick goat, suh if the jlp come in and a gwa'an wid shenanigans too...their day of reckoning shall come

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It's a TOTAL disgrace where the PEOPLE'S land have been 'given' to politicians. A few years ago, I directed an international investor to Jamaica and was a part of a team of Consultants doing the technical work for them. The project required large acreage (pvt sector or Gov.) and I was appalled at the total absence of acreage in Jamaica in either sector.
              When we visited the lands office - almost ALL of the suitable Crown lands were subdivided and parcelled out. Eventually acreage was found in a sugar company and the project got off the ground.
              THIS needs to be investigated and if due process was absence the lands should be returned to the State. Of course since they are all 'colleagues' - (PNP and JLP), nothing will come of this. You will not imagine areas already subdivided - wetland areas, south coast, beaches.....
              SINFUL and WICKED!!!!!

Comment

There was so much rackets in the land department in the 1990 that it is scary. So many people got title for land that was not theirs.

there is even a case with the Custos of St.Mary about this same thing that was in the courts recently. People saw land they liked and somehow got titles etc. especially if taxes due or a government land.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

amen exile.

btw beware the generalisations

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yes i remember the case...it was ugly and dragged on for a long long time

Comment

funny thing is there is a big entertainer from St.Mary who tried to start up a hospitality business on some former sugar cane land and the MP I understand objected as the man family was said to be labourites.

You lucky that investor got it without some let off.

Comment

and mi nuh know how much more land that man want(Custos), as if him nuh have enough.

Comment

So
                          140 individuals
                          and
                          several major companies
                          bought property under the supposedly corrupt manner that Kern and other named persons acquired
                          government lands
                          ???

Well... fairness demands that the names of all purchasers be released!

What do you say, Lazie, Gamma, Willi, Comment, Maudib and any JLPites out there?

Oh me?
                          Yup! I think all the purchasers names should be released. Fair is Fair!
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

yes fairness does....same knife whey stick sheep....i have no problem with that whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                              It's a TOTAL disgrace where the PEOPLE'S land have been 'given' to politicians. A few years ago, I directed an international investor to Jamaica and was a part of a team of Consultants doing the technical work for them. The project required large acreage (pvt sector or Gov.) and I was appalled at the total absence of acreage in Jamaica in either sector.
                              When we visited the lands office - almost ALL of the suitable Crown lands were subdivided and parcelled out. Eventually acreage was found in a sugar company and the project got off the ground.
                              THIS needs to be investigated and if due process was absence the lands should be returned to the State. Of course since they are all 'colleagues' - (PNP and JLP), nothing will come of this. You will not imagine areas already subdivided - wetland areas, south coast, beaches.....
                              SINFUL and WICKED!!!!!

What yuh saying?
                              ONE DEGREE of SEPARATION? Corruption abounds?

Lazie and choir will say yuh lie and yuh jus a try change di direction where blame should be laid...i.e. only at the feet of persons within the PNP!

Lazie and the choir?
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X