X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billary's racial politics team rises up again

Rendell: Race Factor Could Hurt Obama

15 hours ago
    HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Gov. Ed Rendell, one of Hillary Rodham Clinton's most visible supporters, said some white Pennsylvanians are likely to vote against her rival Barack Obama because he is black.
    "You've got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African-American candidate," Rendell told the editorial board of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in remarks that appeared in Tuesday's paper.
    To buttress his point, Rendell cited his 2006 re-election campaign, in which he defeated Republican challenger Lynn Swann, the former Pittsburgh Steelers star, by a margin of more than 60 percent to less than 40 percent.
    "I believe, looking at the returns in my election, that had Lynn Swann been the identical candidate that he was — well-spoken, charismatic, good-looking — but white instead of black, instead of winning by 22 points, I would have won by 17 or so," he said. "And that (attitude) exists. But on the other hand, that is counterbalanced by Obama's ability to bring new voters into the electoral pool."
    Rendell, chairman of the Democratic National Committee in 2000 and previously Philadelphia's mayor, endorsed Clinton on Jan. 23.
    Pennsylvania holds its primary April 22.
    Several figures in Clinton's campaign, including her husband, the former president, have been criticized in recent weeks for raising Obama's race. In response, Bill Clinton has said he will stick to promoting his wife, rather than defending her.
    Later Tuesday, Rendell's spokesman said the governor did not mean to offend anyone.
    "He was simply making an observation about the unfortunate nature of some parts of American society," said spokesman Chuck Ardo. "He wasn't being critical, he wasn't making accusations, but just being realistic."
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Obama continues to the defy the odds, and we know he will likely be favored among young "white" voters.
    Besides, Philly doesn't have a problem electing Afro- Americans as public officials.
    It is an admission that the democrats he leads are bigots, and sadly a missed opportunity by the Governor to make a meaningful difference.

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      Rendell: Race Factor Could Hurt Obama

15 hours ago
      HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Gov. Ed Rendell, one of Hillary Rodham Clinton's most visible supporters, said some white Pennsylvanians are likely to vote against her rival Barack Obama because he is black.

"You've got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African-American candidate," Rendell told the editorial board of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in remarks that appeared in Tuesday's paper.

To buttress his point, Rendell cited his 2006 re-election campaign, in which he defeated Republican challenger Lynn Swann, the former Pittsburgh Steelers star, by a margin of more than 60 percent to less than 40 percent.

"I believe, looking at the returns in my election, that had Lynn Swann been the identical candidate that he was — well-spoken, charismatic, good-looking — but white instead of black, instead of winning by 22 points, I would have won by 17 or so," he said. "And that (attitude) exists. But on the other hand, that is counterbalanced by Obama's ability to bring new voters into the electoral pool."

Rendell, chairman of the Democratic National Committee in 2000 and previously Philadelphia's mayor, endorsed Clinton on Jan. 23.
      Pennsylvania holds its primary April 22.

Several figures in Clinton's campaign, including her husband, the former president, have been criticized in recent weeks for raising Obama's race. In response, Bill Clinton has said he will stick to promoting his wife, rather than defending her.

Later Tuesday, Rendell's spokesman said the governor did not mean to offend anyone.
      "He was simply making an observation about the unfortunate nature of some parts of American society," said spokesman Chuck Ardo. "He wasn't being critical, he wasn't making accusations, but just being realistic."
      True or false?
      ...if true, then what?

...if false, then it is a tactic that would contain a falsehood. Could then be not political...or at least not only political but also racist.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

"could"? but a wha di......

is obama running a campaign on affrimative action i.e. elect me becuase i'm a black man? i say he's not in the slightest therefore raising it as an issue is very transparent.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

This is key:
          "It is an admission that the democrats he leads are bigots,"

One thing I can say: BO is exposing a lot of stuff that was kept in the closet. Times are changing. It's appearing that the old guards of the Dem may even be worse than the GOP. What a ting

Comment

as i said ...... "an attack at west point" moment!

why obama? jackson and sharpton ran too....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              as i said ...... "an attack at west point" moment!

why obama? jackson and sharpton ran too....
              Jackson and Sharpton made there campaigns openly racist.
              Obama has run an all-inclusive campaign!

Yet...Jackson's and Sharpton's campaigns were important as they laid the table for the voters to become comfortable with the idea of a black president.

...interestingly Jackson's and Sharpton's campaign also helps Hillary as it also has put in the consciousness of the electorate that other than whitemen could be president...

...certainly subliminally that a woman also could be president.
              Last edited by Karl; February 13, 2008, 11:52 AM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Obama has run an all-inclusive campaign! ......THEREFORE for hilary's camp to raise it....doesn't that set off bells?

Comment

Obama has run an all-inclusive campaign! ......THEREFORE for hilary's camp to raise it....doesn't that set off bells?
                  Ofcourse!
                  I hope you are not saying because I am black...or Obama is black...no one can mention that fact without it being a racist remark?

Comment

karl continues to dig his head in the sand.. therefore, he cannot possible see that which is transparent... afterall, he is a supporter of hillary...
                    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

i'd like to know from you... what are the bells that you hear?
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

does anyone NEED to mention that Obama is black? If so, why? what is the agenda? Is it a secret that he doesn't want anyone to know?

Raising his race as an issue is suspect especially because he, of himself, does not make it an issue.

Comment

the same bells he hears everyday at shady pines just before medication time!

Comment

does anyone NEED to mention that Obama is black? If so, why? what is the agenda? Is it a secret that he doesn't want anyone to know?

Raising his race as an issue is suspect especially because he, of himself, does not make it an issue.
                            So if it is his blackness that draws such a preponderance of blacks to vote for him it is not worth mentioning because some fool will scream racism?

Comment

IS IT? yuh buy into that RUBBISH!!! a preponderance of blacks voted for bill clinton...they have to vote for someone. and in case you forgot he was not black enough for many so called african americans suh you stay deh......

is it hilary's whiteness that is getting her votes? do people make an issue of that?

karl, karl, karl......tsk tsk tsk

Comment

Working...
                              X