Bruce Mash the up again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Mash the up again

Parliament passes amendments to [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Pension[/COLOR][/COLOR] Prime Ministers’ Act Tuesday, 12 February 2008 There was extended debate in Tuesday's sitting of Parliament as the house considered the provisions of the Bill to amend the Pension Prime Ministers' Act.

A clause in the Bill allows the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Prime [COLOR=blue! important]Minister[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to choose whether to accept as pension, two thirds of the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]salary[/COLOR][/COLOR] of the serving Prime Minister or to opt for an amount equivalent to the entire salary.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding pledged that he would take the smaller pension as dictated by the 2005 amendment to the Act.

"And therefore we put in that provision that says that Prime Ministers shall be entitled to exercise an option. I give the House today, my solemn word that in exercising that option, I will exercise that option for the pension entitlement that existed prior to the amendments of 2005," said Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

He argued that his decision was based on the firm belief that that those who exercise power over others should not use it to do more for themselves than they can do for the people of Jamaica.

However, Opposition Spokesman on [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Finance[/COLOR][/COLOR] Dr. Omar Davies took exception and argued whether the reduction would be fair to future Prime Ministers.

He stressed that the amendments were bad [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]legislation[/COLOR][/COLOR].

"There are too many basic flaws and deficiencies. I'm concerned about the unique position in which it places the present Prime Minister where he is provided with an option which is denied to his successors. I'm concerned about the fact that the formula which is being advanced could place a Prime Minister in a worse off situation than if he or she choose to be compensated like a Member of Parliament. For these reasons Mr. [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Speaker[/COLOR][/COLOR], I urge the Minister to withdraw the amendments at this time," said DR. Davies.

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]rose[/COLOR][/COLOR] to support Dr. Davies and also called on the Mr. Golding to put in place a committee to examine Parliamentary salaries.

Finance Minister Audley Shaw moved for a second reading of the bill which prompted another long debate between Mr. Golding and Dr. Davies.

It was passed in that committee reading without amendments and again at the third reading.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X