X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parliament passes amendments to Pension Prime Ministers’ Act

Parliament passes amendments to Pension Prime Ministers’ Act
    Tuesday, 12 February 2008

There was extended debate in Tuesday's sitting of Parliament as the house considered the provisions of the Bill to amend the Pension Prime Ministers' Act.

A clause in the Bill allows the Prime Minister to choose whether to accept as pension, two thirds of the salary of the serving Prime Minister or to opt for an amount equivalent to the entire salary.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding pledged that he would take the smaller pension as dictated by the 2005 amendment to the Act.

"And therefore we put in that provision that says that Prime Ministers shall be entitled to exercise an option. I give the House today, my solemn word that in exercising that option, I will exercise that option for the pension entitlement that existed prior to the amendments of 2005," said Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

He argued that his decision was based on the firm belief that that those who exercise power over others should not use it to do more for themselves than they can do for the people of Jamaica.

However, Opposition Spokesman on Finance Dr. Omar Davies took exception and argued whether the reduction would be fair to future Prime Ministers.

He stressed that the amendments were bad legislation.

"There are too many basic flaws and deficiencies. I'm concerned about the unique position in which it places the present Prime Minister where he is provided with an option which is denied to his successors. I'm concerned about the fact that the formula which is being advanced could place a Prime Minister in a worse off situation than if he or she choose to be compensated like a Member of Parliament. For these reasons Mr. Speaker, I urge the Minister to withdraw the amendments at this time," said DR. Davies.

Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller rose to support Dr. Davies and also called on the Mr. Golding to put in place a committee to examine Parliamentary salaries.

Finance Minister Audley Shaw moved for a second reading of the bill which prompted another long debate between Mr. Golding and Dr. Davies.

It was passed in that committee reading without amendments and again at the third reading.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Karl, JAwge .. Mosiah ... not a word? Can we get some feedback on Omar's contribution? What about the proposal by Omar and Portia to put in place a committee to examine Parliamentary salaries.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

question, If future prime ministers want to raise it, what can stop them?

Bruce is setting an example.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

How do we make law?
        According to the above it was "passed in Committee". Was that committee a full sitting of parliament? (I am assuming that the entire body could be designated a committee.) ...or does the Bill (the Amendent Bill) have to face the full house and be passed for it to become law?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          question, If future prime ministers want to raise it, what can stop them?

Bruce is setting an example.
          Mi affi extent an apology to him as I was disappointed that he had given himself the option of choosing. Now he did the right thing big him up fi dat. I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't reduce it for all past PMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            How do we make law?
            According to the above it was "passed in Committee". Was that committee a full sitting of parliament? (I am assuming that the entire body could be designated a committee.) ...or does the Bill (the Amendent Bill) have to face the full house and be passed for it to become law?
            Beating around the bush in order not to give the man credit? Why mi nuh surprised?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              Beating around the bush in order not to give the man credit? Why mi nuh surprised?
              In fact, based on the explanation of the Bill and the position the PM has taken it looks like a self-promotion effort. A farce!

This what Brucie did - Framed and created a Bill giving choice only to self (no other person)...then take the road that he really wanted i.e. pension he already decided on with provisions that suits him...Brucie created the Bill with pension he wants, agreed on and shall have...

...but he attempts to make it appear to the gullible that he was taking the principled choice hard choice rather than took what he wanted.
              Attemps to make him look good.

Imagine a choice created by Brucie? ...that is open for only Brucie, no other PM...to make? What a great Brucie? Oh-Oh!!!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

In fact, based on the explanation of the Bill and the position the PM has taken it looks like a self-promotion effort. A farce!

This what Brucie did - Framed and created a Bill giving choice only to self (no other person)...then take the road that he really wanted i.e. pension he already decided on with provisions that suits him...Brucie created the Bill with pension he wants, agreed on and shall have...

...but he attempts to make it appear to the gullible that he was taking the principled choice hard choice rather than took what he wanted.

Imagine a choice created by Brucie? ...that is open for only Brucie, no other PM...to make? What a great Brucie? Oh-Oh!!!
                  Spoken like a typical comrade. The rate for everybody else is 2/3 .. PJ and Omar changed it so that former PMs would get 100% ... the same the current PM is getting. Being an unthinking comrade you had no problem with it then.

Bruce simply reversed it to 2/3 ... and you call it self promotion? No wonder unuh wanted Portia as PM for 5 more years.

Comment

Spoken like a typical comrade. The rate for everybody else is 2/3 .. PJ and Omar changed it so that former PMs would get 100% ... the same the current PM is getting. Being an unthinking comrade you had no problem with it then.

Bruce simply reversed it to 2/3 ... and you call it self promotion? No wonder unuh wanted Portia as PM for 5 more years.
                    Brucie did not "simply reverse it"

he --

Originally Posted by Karl

...but he attempts to make it appear to the gullible that he was taking the principled choice...hard choice...rather than took what he wanted.

Comment

Brucie did not "simply reverse it"

he --

Originally Posted by Karl

Gwaan fool yuhself KArl. Allow mi to extend another apology to the PM. I knocked him for not rolling back the pension of other PMs but it is understood that the constitution prevents him from doing so.

Back to you halfwit. The reason they put the the option there for him to choose is because he was a PM prior to the tabling/passing of the legislation.

... and to think Court Jester Omar a object? I say it all the while, one fool lead many .. thats why unuh wanted Portia as PM.

Comment

Gwaan fool yuhself KArl. Allow mi to extend another apology to the PM. I knocked him for not rolling back the pension of other PMs but it is understood that the constitution prevents him from doing so.

Back to you halfwit. The reason they put the the option there for him to choose is because he was a PM prior to the tabling/passing of the legislation.

... and to think Court Jester Omar a object? I say it all the while, one fool lead many .. thats why unuh wanted Portia as PM.
                        Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Comment

Working...
                        X