Jamaica among worst countries to pay taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica among worst countries to pay taxes

Jamaica among worst countries to pay taxes Monday, 11 February 2008 Jamaica is one of the ten worst places in the world to pay taxes.

In its new report, entitled "Paying Taxes 2008" the World [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Bank[/COLOR][/COLOR], International Finance Corporation (IFC) and PricewaterhouseCoopers placed Jamaica among the 10 most difficult countries in the world to pay taxes.

The others are Panama, Mauritania, Bolivia, the Gambia, Venezuela, the Central African Republic, the Republic of Congo, Ukraine and Belarus.

The report known as "Paying Taxes 2008," is the second in an annual series on tax systems and covers 178 countries worldwide.

The reports adds that simplification of tax regimes is directly related to a country earning greater revenue for provision of services that bolster citizens' welfare.

It also notes that tax reforms that make it easier for firms to pay taxes can increase government revenues by broadening the tax base.

This year's top 10 economies for ease of paying taxes featured the Maldives, Singapore, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Hong [COLOR=blue! important]Kong[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] (China), United Arab Emirates, Oman, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, New Zealand and Kiribati in that order.

The report focuses on the number of [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]tax [COLOR=blue! important]payments[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] made, the time it takes to comply, and the cost of taxes, which is measured by the total tax rate.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

what does this report mean by "worst place to pay taxes"? do you know?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

http://www.pwc.com/gx/eng/tax/paying_taxes_2008.pdf

Check this out when you have some time. mi a look through it yah now.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i have no freaking clue!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

do i have to?!!! yuh don't have a simple one sentence explanation?!! please seh yes.....!!!!!

does it mean that it is not properly monitored? does it mean the taxes paid doesn't make it's way to being considered government revenue..what?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

does it mean the roads are so bad that people can't stand going to the office to make payments?

what?!?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Based on what is is saying our system is too complex and it take too much time to try and pay your taxes.

We have high tax rate, too many different taxes, too many loopholes, and as usual too many hours to get results.

Paying taxes should be made simple. easily calculated, no whole heap of hidden taxes, you should be able to pay easy like on the interent instead of going to tax office and waste your time go fight with them.

They think government would collect more if they simple make it easier.

Comment

Man who live a town shouldn't have fi drive go a St.Mary go pay him taxes. That is freaking waste of time.

Comment

ok...understood.

Comment

Sass, peeple ah yaad ah pay
                    dem bills an tax ONLINE (those that work in the coporate environment) who cyaan get computer use one place name paymaster.

Ah so mi get it boss,an so mi give it. Nuh bout 3 years ago DM was supposed to automate the tax office?

Comment

Well this is 2008 and a nuh mi say so a big World bank and another big organization.

I hope paying tax on line is not like getting your passport or birth certificate on line. It look good but a hell fi get it.

Comment

as i recall it was to have been one of ronnie thwaites progeny ...daniel i think it was...

Comment

Wait deh, nuh tell mi say yuh ah
                          try say: since tax hard fi collek, di money what di govt. was using to partner in the tourist industry is not taxpayers' money. Juss clear dis up quick fi mi, do mi ah beg yuh.

Mi nuh really know but mi can fine out. Is wha yuh did have problems wid birth certificate an passport? oops mi figet yuh ah American

Comment

yeah mi have problem with it and mi land title too.

Pay mi money and the idiot them couldn't provide decent service.

Well nuh wonder them have fi pay high interest rate. Instead of collecting the money and make it sit inna bank and get interest them a borrow. You think there is any mystery to Omar wisdom?

Comment

mi read bout 3 to
                              4 years ago say is DM fi automate tax office.

This means: webserver , routers and some strong encryption schemes (to name a few things).
                              Yuh know what mi ah go fine out if yuh can pay tax online prior to Sept.3rd (knowing man ah yaad, him prabably say wi nuh need so much
                              computers; cost money. Not knowing say relatives abroad may just pay; increasing foreign exchange) mi wi fine out still.

Comment

Working...
                              X