• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extortion! what extortion...

Spanish Town taxis plan strike today
    KARYL WALKER, Observer staff reporter walkerk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, February 11, 2008

Tired of bearing the burden of extortion and the brutality of gangsters, route taxi drivers in Spanish Town say they will withdraw their service this morning to draw attention to their plight and in the hope that the authorities will act against the extortionists.
    The drivers say they are being pressured and sometimes beaten by extortionists who operate near the Spanish Town Market at Young Street in the old capital.
    "Dem walk with pick axe sticks and sometimes all eight of them beat you if you refuse to pay. Dem box up drivers, grab keys out of vehicles and make unreasonable demands. We can't take it no more," one taxi driver, who asked not be named, told the Observer yesterday.
    "Don't care how old the driver is, you still get box and you eye fat up. Them throw all dirty water inside your car," the driver added.
    The drivers say they pay two extortion fees daily to persons representing the rival One Order and Clansman gangs who operate at the market and the municipal bus park, respectively.
    "It was $100 for extortion, but since December it raise to $150 at the bus park and we still pay $100 at the market," the driver said.
    Extortion has long been identified by the police in Spanish Town as a multi-million dollar racket. The police have made repeated calls for persons who are being extorted to provide them with evidence.
    But the drivers accuse the police of colluding with the extortionists.
    "Don't care how near the police is, when the man a do dem ting, dem (the police), not doing nothing. Sometime the man dem switch off your car and say them impound yu vehicle and them same police friend get wrecker and tow it away," the driver alleged.
    This morning's strike is expected to displace thousands of persons who commute between communities on the outskirts of Spanish Town.
    Yesterday, Superintendent Terrence Bent, head of the St Catherine North police division, said the police were aware of the planned strike and had put in place measures to deal with any problems.
    "We have the information and will be prepared," Bent told the Observer.

==================

the question is what took the drivers so long to take a stand... how come dem suddenly get suh bold and open up dem yeye fi si seh di extortion ting nah help dem...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

a joke this?

The police them worst than the Badman them. If them can't protect people who a come to them to help them solve crime, instead them use wreckers and take way the man them car.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The fingerprints of the two major gangs are all over this, why Kingfish doesn't intervene?
      Unfortunately, Kingfish has a preference for investigating only (toppa dons)people with a wealth of assets fi tex whey, not so much for dismantling gangs.
      Sounds like the very least our good commish can do is transfer the officers if he really think it is crucial to have the support of JP in the fight...

Blessed

Comment

And the wrecker isn't the worse part, they are said to be complicit.

Blessed

Comment

Didn't they get rid of the dons in Spanish Town the other day? Didn't they say that would put a major dent in the extortion racket?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

AS far as that don mussi concern!)

Blessed

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
              "We have the information and will be prepared," Bent told the Observer.
              Incompetent fools!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well it did, if a Bulbie you a talk, him one them say involve inna 80 murder.

My god is that real?
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

it did? sass, yuh okay dis mawnin?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

imagine a few more would have been dead if Bulbie was alive.

Comment

what point are you trying to make? are you saying we should be grateful that it's only extortion wi dealing wid and not murder?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

True, the cops just as bad as the extortionists. A brethren who operate a taxi at the portmore mall sey him haffi pay both the badmen & police. If him don't pay the police, dem mek up some excuse fi give him a large ticket.

What a mess!
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

No imagine if one man can kill 80 inna him lifetime, Imagine if he was still alive.

Comment

NO! The police are worse! The criminals never swore to uphold any laws. The cops did!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              NO! The police are worse! The criminals never swore to uphold any laws. The cops did!
                              Unfair statement Mo. We all know there are horrible police, but the average man fears the crooks more than they fear the cops.
                              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X