No announcement yet.

You have 100 days from appointment....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have 100 days from appointment....

..to take your best step forward, wi doan haf time fi waste Commish.

Exeter residents blast Lewin

T K WHYTE, Observer correspondent
    Monday, February 11, 2008

Lewin... accused of being arrogant
    EXETER, Clarendon - Police Commissioner Rear Admiral Hardly Lewin received a tongue lashing from residents of this rural district on Friday when he told them that the hurricane-damaged Exeter Police Station would be downgraded to a police post.
    Expressing strong objection to the decision, the residents lambasted Lewin, accusing him of being arrogant and uncompromising in the way he addressed them. They also insisted that the measure would not be accepted by the community.
    "The way the commissioner talk to us today tell me that he has no regard for we the citizens. He has no manners," shouted one farmer at a meeting called by Lewin on the grounds of the old police station.
    The dilapidated police station, which housed a 14-man staff to police 16 districts, was damaged in 2004 by Hurricane Ivan, which completely destroyed the roof, and Hurricane Dean last August. The roof has not been replaced, and in October 2007 the police abandoned the station to operate out of the Lionel Town Police Station. They received mobile patrol assistance from the Milk River Police Station.
    Immediately after his appointment last month, Lewin had said he would close down some police stations as part of a strategy to get more cops on the road and patrolling communities.
    During the meeting on Friday, Lewin told the residents, "I know that everybody wants a police station right next door to them, because there is some sense of a feeling of greater security and so on. (But) I am not here to have any debate with anybody. I have had some discussions and I have looked and what we will undertake to do are two things; to continue the level of policing we have been doing within the surrounding communities, and there was an undertaking that some repairs could be done to the structure. When that is done, we will put in a police post with no more police than what you had before. All those will continue with the increased round-the-clock patrol and presence that we have been doing for the past several weeks."
    But the residents became boisterous and shouted, "This won't work. It can't work. That a foolishness. Him a lef we fe tief kill we and we pickney them."
    Although Lewin explained that despite the downgrade, the district would benefit from even more policing in terms of the number of patrols, another farmer responded, "We don't want the station to leave from here. We want it to stay right here. When we call the station we get prompt response and we don't believe that when the station change to a police post we will get that identical prompt response."
    But Lewin's reply, however, further infuriated the residents.
    "Well, Sir, that is your opinion. I made a statement, you said it was my opinion, you made a statement, that is your opinion. I will leave it there," Lewin said.
    "The commissioner rude. Him rude fe answer we so," shouted the farmer. "Him too orogant (arrogant). Him must realise (that) he is not in the army no more. He is dealing with citizens now and the community of 16 districts. This area is so crime-infested, dem killing off people like flies and him a come tell we him a come put a post whey dem (police) can only write down something whey happen. When a man steal we goat or a cow, who we gwine report it to? for there will be no police fe help. Him is going around closing down police station. Dat can't solve crime. A wonder if him know what going on in the country?"

No mention that lack of crime is the reason, eh cause it WASN'T.
    Sounds like masking failures......

Blessed

Blessed

Comment

the citizens need to ask themselves what they are doing to solve their crimes.

Many rural communities work better without the direct involvement of the police. How can you explain Maroon toon have NO murder in 20 years?

Many communities do well with just one or two police living there and citizen look out for each other's interest. In other words criminal will not go where pure informer deh, them fraid a informer bad.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Doing well DESPITE....
        Look, seems like a few staions will be closed for reasons other than what the Commish gave.

Blessed

Comment

Him not arrogant, him wrenk and facety! Is people like him did deh bout when dem kill Paul Bogle.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The citizens need to have a commish who they can talk to, not someone who believes he has all the answers and chooses to dish them out any which way he pleases. I am extremely disappointed with him. What's with these army people!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, this is not a surprise. This is the reaction they're going to encounter whenever they attempt to close any police station. I'm for having more 'officers' on the street.

By the way .. I didn't see the arrogance in his response.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Well we nah go get that. them need to protect there own interest.

If you notice that was the main reason crime fell in NY. People get tired and started to act accordingly.

Many of these rural communities can very much police themselves but they choose to make strange man come in and change the fabric of their communities.

Time fi stand up and take back there communites, another one or two corrupted cops won't help.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  The citizens need to have a commish who they can talk to, not someone who believes he has all the answers and chooses to dish them out any which way he pleases. I am extremely disappointed with him. What's with these army people!?!
                  Ummm ... a good leader is one that isn't afraid to make controversial decisions. Don't you think they've researched this? The commish is making a decision based on data he has ... the people are making alot of noise based on emotion.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Nonsense! It's about time we put to rest the myths about why crime fell in NY.

In the meantime, the commish better come correct. That attitude will not get us anywhere!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There is a way to have your way. This way is certainly not it. Emotion? Let me be the judge of that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        By the way .. I didn't see the arrogance in his response.
                        If you didn't see it...Lazie, I just don't think you are being honest to yourself.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Well we nah go get that. them need to protect there own interest.

If you notice that was the main reason crime fell in NY. People get tired and started to act accordingly.

Many of these rural communities can very much police themselves but they choose to make strange man come in and change the fabric of their communities.

Time fi stand up and take back there communites, another one or two corrupted cops won't help.
                          Police themselves? Sorry ... I not buying that. The state needs to provide the security for the citizens ... downgrading the police station to a police post and increasing the police presence on the street don't take away from the state providing security for these citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            If you didn't see it...Lazie, I just don't think you are being honest to yourself.
                            If unuh see that line as arrogance then something wrong wid unuh. Tough decisions need to be made and people gonna be ****************ed .... so be it.

Comment

Lazie the police them nah go do it.

One Police once told he he was transfering from South East St.Mary as not even "bud nuh round yah so fi Kill".

Most of these country community can't depend on police them better look fi themselves and they will be better for it.

Explain how Maroon Town so poor and yet no murder in 20 years? Them have police station up deh?

Comment

Working...
                              X