X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJs’ lawyers could sue newspaper for controversial photo

DJs’ lawyers could sue newspaper for controversial photo

Friday, 08 February 2008

Lawyers representing popular Dancehall DJs Vybz Kartel and Aidonia are contemplating legal action against the Gleaner Company.

This follows the publication of a photograph in the STAR newspaper Thursday.

The front page picture showed the DJ's brandishing guns surrounded by men with high calibre rifles.

Attorney Valerie Neita-Robertson, who represents both entertainers, says she is concerned about the authenticity of the photo and how it was obtained by the STAR.

"I think it's irresponsible for a newspaper to put out a photograph like that because the youth of this country...are going to laud it and Vybz Kartel doesn't want to be associated with that," said Mrs. Neita-Robertson

"They don't know the authenticity of that photograph and I think it is sending the wrong message to the young people in this country. Neither Vybz Kartel nor Aidonia laud violence or criminal activity of any nature," she continued.

She added that the police were also irresponsible in going to the media with information relating to the photo before questioning the men.

According to Mrs. Neita-Robertson, the photos were not taken in Jamaica and do not appear to be authentic.

Operation Kingfish on Tuesday said it was seeking both DJs for questioning about the picture.

The entertainers whose real names are Adijah Palmer and Sheldon Lawrence have not yet been interviewed by the police.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Why dem a drag entertainers into this mess

We are at war' - August Town crackdown - 13 high-powered weapons seized, 'Sizzla' and 32 others detained
    published: Friday | March 18, 2005
    Glenroy Sinclair, Staff Reporter

A suspect is detained during a joint police/military operation in Judgement Yard, August Town yesterday.- Photos By Norman Grindley/Deputy Chief Photographer

THE SECURITY forces believe they have put a major dent in criminal activity in the hotbed of August Town, St. Andrew, where 13 high-powered weapons, ballistic vests, ammunition and gun parts were found yesterday.
    Preliminary investigations reveal that one of the ballistic vests belonged to a member of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) and the other to a police man who was dismissed recently.
    At least 33 persons, including popular dancehall artiste, Miguel Collins, alias 'Sizzla', were detained for questioning in relation to the gun find and the spate of unrest being experienced in sections of the community.
    SECOND MAJOR GUN FIND
    This is the second major gun find in the August Town community in less than a month. About two weeks ago the police found three handguns there but nobody was arrested.
    The cache of illegal firearms include; six AK-47 rifles, three sniper rifles, one M-16 rifle, two shotguns, one Intratec-Nine sub-machine gun, 58 assorted rounds of ammunition, 11 magazines and a silencer which was fitted to the M-16 rifle, two ballistic vests and two AK-47 butt stocks. There was also a small telescopic lens that was fitted to the Intratec-Nine.
    The find has now pushed the number of illegal guns seized since the start of the year to more than 144. Last year over 600 illegal guns were taken from the hands of criminals. Yesterday's find is the largest number of guns to be found at the same time and location, apart from those discovered at the island's ports.
    "This has an estimated street value of close to $2 million," said Senior Superintendent Donald Pusey, who led yesterday's operation.
    DISCOVERED UNDER GROUND
    The weapons were discovered beneath the earth, of a large fowl coop, located in a river bed about 120 metres from the August Town main road. The police said the area is known as 'Sizzla Corner'.
    Deputy Commissioner Tilford Johnson who arrived early on the scene, said the success was a result of Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas' new strategy to target and concentrate on the five geographical police divisions which have been contributing to the country's high homicide rate.
    Corporal Troy Anderson of the Constabulary Communication Network (CCN) said the exercise was a joint operation between Operation Kingfish, the Special Anti Crime Task Force, the Jamaica Defence Force and Mobile Reserve, which numbered over 115 personnel.
    In a release yesterday National Security Minister Peter Phillips commended the lawmen for the massive find.
    More Lead Stories | E-mail this
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

well did they take the photo or not?

Comment

that is the question.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I don't know how relevant this is, but let me ask anyway: Were they in their bedroom with the weapons or were they in a public space
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

i don't really think it's relevant.....except maybe as to WHO took the picture.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you know its funny if it was here or in the usa. thye would get pull over every time they drive and they would issue enough search warrants to search every nook and cranny of thier houses , moms houses, cousing sister bredda houses. Dem gwan like some dunce... The lawyer is right though, by saying the pic was not taken in Jamaica.

Comment

These entertainers have to learn to behave themselves. My brethren who I helped promote some big show including Berres Hammond, and Super Cat still have some pictures of some top artists doing the same pose in the North East. One artist tell him if he didn't let his badmen friend through with their guns he simply wouldn't perform.

Another asked him to take him to a corner which was full with nothing but guns doing the similar stuff in the picture. Last time I spoke to my friend he was telling me, he is doing gospel music as he decided this was too much for him.

We may choose not to believe it and think a lot of these people are just victims when many support the criminality that goes on around them.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X