Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing headlights helping criminals, say police

Friday, February 08, 2008

One of the country's most wanted men managed to slip through police checkpoints recently because unsuspecting motorists flashed their headlights to warn other drivers of police activity, Assistant Commissioner of Police Glenmore Hinds has confirmed.

According to Hinds, who heads Operation Kingfish, the police had received information that the wanted man was on the move and had set up checkpoints, as well as alerted cops already conducting operations along various routes between Kingston and Montego Bay.

"We did some assessments of his likely routes, but he went through the checkpoints because motorists flashed their headlights to warn other motorists that the police were on the road," said Hinds.

He declined to name the wanted man in order to protect the person who gave the police information about the fugitive's movements. However, he appealed to motorists to stop the practice, adding that it was causing the police "enormous problems" as fugitives were avoiding capture.

"There is no way of you knowing that the person you are flashing is not on his way to kill someone - maybe a member of your family," said ACP Hinds. "We do have very mobile criminals. Once the police have managed to prevent them from operating in one community, they move to other communities."

Hinds said it was a long-standing concern of the police that some motorists continue to flash their headlights to warn others of speed traps and other police activity. However, he cautioned that by engaging in the practice, motorists ran the risk of "unwittingly facilitating criminal activity".
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

i once got a ticket for flashing my headlights in boston... something about obstrucing police... it was years ago... for a while i had stopped doing it after that but now i find myself doing it again, cautiously...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

maybe if is someone yuh know.....but after reading the above... mi naw dweet again...anywhere!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
        i once got a ticket for flashing my headlights in boston... something about obstrucing police... it was years ago... for a while i had stopped doing it after that but now i find myself doing it again, cautiously...
        Wasn't aware that it was a traffic offense. In Jamaica it is a serious problem. When I was there in July, I was on my way from Mobay driving a deportee and almost every vehicle was flashing me. Everybody was driving at the speed limit but as soon as we passed the police .. mi affi guh inna defensive driving mode.

Maybe they need to start issuing tickets for it in Jamaica too.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

fe real... iz not a good practice... mi nuh tink mi gwine dweet again eida...

Comment

mi neva know it was a violation, until mi get a ticket... mi did appeal it and it was thrown out but i was admonished by the presiding magistrate...

Comment

I have stopped doing it for a while. Yes, it's appreciated when I am warned, but no one should rely on me to warn them!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Suh police are depending onCriminals they are tracking to be speeding before they can catch them ?

How him drive through the Check point ?

What dem checking ?

Comment

How can the cop claim you were flashing your lights to warn other drivers? Flashing can not be used at all?
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

hortical... flash your lights when they have a speed trap and mek a police see you do it and you will know if you can be ticketed... wuss yuh inna a place dat luv to enforce traffic laws...

Comment

I am sure there is no violation. What if at the time of the speed trap I saw Mosiah on the other side and was just hailing him out. The flashing lights are really to say "slow down there are some criminla police down the road looking to 'eat a food'...tek time". Total hogwash from the police.

Comment

you want tell me our brilliant police force can't come up with no idea fi combat this basic problem that has been around for donkey years?
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                        X