• Show
Clear All

• Low level literates & Dunces

Kern still popular in North East St Elizabeth
    published: Friday | February 8, 2008
    Denise Reid, Freelance Writer

SPENCER
    WESTERN BUREAU:
    Despite the contractor general's report, which fingered Kern Spencer for breaches in government's procurement guidelines and nepotism, the constituents of North East St Elizabeth are unwavering in his defence.

"I woulda married him now. If me did have two teeth Kern gone, no woman wouldn't see him," said an elderly Joan Brown of Mt Pleasant, St Elizabeth, in a light-hearted moment.
    Hers was the general feeling towards Spencer in his constituency, where it appears clear he is well loved.

High regard
    While the atmosphere there seemed a bit sombre yesterday, and some persons said they were unsure what to believe, the citizens spoke highly of Spencer. Some stated defiantly that, come what may, he would remain the elected People's National Party Member of Parliament for the area.

Sandra Dobson, chairperson of the Bogue United Group, said, "I'm told a person is innocent until proven guilty. I have no facts to prove that he's guilty of any charge. My group is supporting him 100 per cent. We voted for him and we find no fault in him representing us."

Even those who claimed to be neutral or swore they were supporters of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) seemed to be sympathetic towards Spencer.
    "The first thing he shouldn't do is to involve his family, because that's a conflict of interest and he knows that," said Israel Facey of Better Buy Hardware in Santa Cruz. He said that, if found guilty, Spencer should be removed from Parliament (sent to prison)

Facey too harsh
    However, Christopher Stroke, who claimed to be a supporter of the JLP, said he believed Facey was being harsh.
    "I'm a Labourite man, I believe 100 per cent in Labour, but Kern deserves a chance," he said.

Preferring not to give their names, two labourers said, "If he breaks the law he should be charged because, if it was me and you, we would be charged."

Spencer found himself at the centre of the light bulb controversy late last year, after it was discovered that in excess of $276 million was spent to distribute free light bulbs donated by the Cuban Government to Jamaican citizens. An investigation was subsequently ordered into the matter by current Energy Minister Clive Mullings.
    Just this week, it was revealed that Contractor General Greg Christie, after his own probe, recommended a criminal investigation into the matter.
    Last edited by Karl; February 8, 2008, 10:00 AM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X