X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion - a personal choice

published: Thursday | February 7, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

From a personal perspective and experience as a 'former teenage' mother, I am against abortion. I am also against attitudes taken by pro-life believers. Condemnation will not solve unwanted pregnancies, stop the increase in population growth and reduce infectious diseases. It will not aid girls and women who wish to exercise their right of autonomy in deciding what is best for themselves and their future.

In the '80s, there was the campaign of 'Two is better than too many' which was family planning policy. Generally, it was aimed at reducing population growth. This policy left the image that the nuclear family (man, wife and two children) is the norm. As a result, contraception is used to prevent 'unwanted' pregnancies.

Unfortunately - according to the message of this campaign then - for some but fortunately for me, I became a teenage mother in the 80s. Hundreds of girls, around the area where I lived, who became pregnant, were advised to terminate the pregnancy on the ground that their future would be blighted.

Deeply stigmatised

Those girls who did follow through with termination were deeply stigmatised by the community. Advice was given to young mothers to give up the 'unwanted children' for adoption to people who were deemed capable of taking better care of them. Some girls who had no form of support abandoned their children on relatives, on the State and even in pit latrines. I am one of the few who had and kept my children.

I was rejected by my family and community, I was also stigmatised as a 'bad girl' who had no ambition and chance for the future, I was dumped by my babyfather and I was a school dropout. Despite these 'small' inconveniences, I took sole responsibility of raising my children. I took them everywhere with me and exposed them to worlds beyond my village and Jamaica.

Proudest mother

Today, I am the proudest mother there is. My almost 23-year-old son is a popular artiste, and my daughter of 20 is a university student. And as for me, I am living the life, I planned with everything I ever dreamed of and more. Don't be misled, it was not always easy to combine motherhood, lone parenting, being a provider, an active member of society and yes, I am graduated.

Reward helps to build confidence as does discipline with reasonable measures. These are principles I have exercised during the raising of my children. Actually, I am still a mother and parent to my children by choice. I do not condemn those women who made different choices.

I am, etc.,

ELAINE M. CAMPBELL

Reggeplantsoen 2

1316 SX Almere

The Netherlands
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I cannot see why the personal choice other people make fanatics makes it bother them. People should be allowed to make their choices without the fear of being scorned by society.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

That is because you do not see the fetus as a life, or you would afford that life choices.
      After reading the first two sentences ...I began to wonder if she had personal experiences that shaped her opinion.
      Say a woman has had an abortion, would she likely protect the right to have one? It is likely a guilt trip.
      It is a bit different in her case, she declares she is against abortion, and proudly show off her children spared from being aborted,clearly as testimony..., but she is some how pro-choice, and rightfully confused.
      I believe if a country has the death penalty, executions should be televised, and if abortion is legal... then should a doctor hired to perform the dreadful procedure, decides to deliver the baby..oops fetus alive and subsequently delivers a fatal blow(squashing the head with a stone...), he or she should not be charged with a crime.

Blessed
      Last edited by Rockman; February 7, 2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        That is because you do not see the fetus as a life, or you would afford that life choices.
        After reading the first two sentences ...I began to wonder if she had personal experiences that shaped her opinion.
        Say a woman has had an abortion, would she likely protect the right to have one? It is likely a guilt trip.
        It is a bit different in her case, she declares she is against abortion, and proudly show off her children spared from being aborted,clearly as testimony..., but she is some how pro-choice, and rightfully confused.
        I believe if a country has the death penalty, executions should be televised, and if abortion is legal... then a doctor hired to perform the dreadful procedure, decides to deliver the baby..oops fetus alive and subsequently delivers a fatal blow(squahing the head with a stone..., he or she should not be charged with a crime.

Blessed
        Me or you seeing the fetus as a life isn't relevant Rockman, its the woman's decision to make. Fanatics have no right imposing their beliefs on other people.

Comment

Hold up, it is the woman(individually too) right to see the baby as a life?
          She doesn't even have the right to take her own life!
          Seeing the fetus as a life is crucial.

Blessed

Comment

If I Were A Jamaican Woman......

If I were a Jamaican woman, I would tell the anti-abortionists a simple message:

Keep your nose and your Bible out of MY Pummypummy!

Comment

Rockman, yo outta touch with society to rhatid....

mi notice the comment trend between old heads and church goers. not to say your either, but wouldn't be surprised if you are.

and unu wonder why the youths cyaa tek any of unu(old heads and church goers) serious...

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGfi...ww.bossip.com/
              Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
              Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Young bull,my generation and pretty much every generation...say yours is the worse, the stats support OUR argument.We certainly do not think alike, my Big George's friend!

Blessed

Comment

Hold up, it is the woman(individually too) right to see the baby as a life?
                  She doesn't even have the right to take her own life!
                  Seeing the fetus as a life is crucial.

Blessed
                  ... and if she sees that she won't be in a position to take care of a child in the near future since she not in a position to take care of herself what should she do? If a woman wishes to have an abortion ... its none of our business. The decision is up to her, the man that got her pregnant and if they wish their immediate family.

Comment

Were our views on murder(not talking about abortion,merely what we all agree is murder) molded by the Bible that tells us death is only the beginning?
                    It wasn't Bruce, the Bible/Church has nothing to do with it.
                    On the matter of keeping something out of her punny..., mek a stap yah.

Blessed

Comment

Were our views on murder(not talking about abortion,merely what we all agree is murder) molded by the Bible that tells us death is only the beginning?
                      It wasn't Bruce, the Bible/Church has nothing to do with it.
                      On the matter of keeping something out of her punny..., mek a stap yah.

Blessed
                      As mi say ... at the end of the day, thats between the mother and her God. Why force a woman to have a child she does not want? By the way ... exactly what did the bible say about abortion? I've never seen anything in there about abortion yet fanatics are quick to mention the bible to make an argument against abortion.

The bible says no to fornication ... when the pastor getting his grove on with church sister ... dem somehow figet wha the bible say.

Comment

Look,it is between her and the child!
                        I am not forcing anything, she already has a child(she is with child).

Blessed

Comment

Look,it is between her and the child!
                          I am not forcing anything, she already has a child(she is with child).

Blessed
                          .. but prevent her from making a decision thats gonna impact on HER life is forcing her into something she doesn't want to do. Bottomline Rockman .. thats between she and her God.

Comment

BIGGER impact on the child life.
                            You seems to be in agreement that a fetus is a life, yet it matters not judging from your arguments.
                            Which is it Lazie?

Lazie

Comment

let's assume a teenager who would be a single mom so she brings it into the world and is not mentally or financially able to deal with the child does she foist on to the authorities....orphange, welfare, abuse.....what?

that does not have to be the end BUT if someone feels strong enough not to want to keep a child THEY DO NOT WANT .... then that should be their decision.

if i was the father i would want to have a say too but at the end of the day it's not my body.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X