X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama up by 13 points in Cali poll

Obama, Romney lead in California on Super Tuesday

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama surged to a big lead over Hillary Clinton in California hours before "Super Tuesday" voting began in 24 states, according to a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released on Tuesday.
    In the Republican race, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney held a 7-point advantage on Arizona Sen. John McCain in California, while McCain added to commanding double-digit leads in New York and New Jersey.
    On a sprawling day of coast-to-coast voting, the biggest ever in a U.S. primary race, the U.S. presidential contenders in both parties were fighting to win a huge cache of delegates to this summer's nominating conventions.
    In California, which alone provides more than one-fifth of the Democratic delegates needed for the nomination, Obama led Clinton by 49 percent to 36 percent, the poll found. The margin of error was 3.3 percentage points.
    Clinton pulled into a 5-point lead in New Jersey, 46 percent to 41 percent, after being tied on Monday. Obama held a 45 percent to 42 percent edge on Clinton in Missouri. Both polls had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.
    Obama had a 20-point edge in Georgia, aided by a more than 3-to-1 lead among black voters.
    Obama, an Illinois senator, and Clinton, a New York senator, are in a hard-fought battle for the Democratic presidential nomination and split the first four significant contests.
    "There is clear Obama momentum in California," pollster John Zogby said. "But in New Jersey, things seemed to swing in favor of Clinton, and Missouri was very mixed."
    In the Republican race, Romney maintained a stable 40 percent to 33 percent lead on McCain in California, fueled by heavy support in the southern part of the state and among self-described conservatives. The margin of error was 3.4 percentage points.
    DASH TO CALIFORNIA
    Both Romney and McCain made last-minute changes to their campaign schedules to fly to California for late appearances. A Romney win there could be his last hope of blunting McCain's growing momentum in other states.
    McCain held a 26-point edge on Romney in New York and a 29-point advantage in New Jersey as he pushed for a convincing triumph that could knock Romney out of the race to be the Republican candidate in November's presidential election.
    McCain held a narrow 34 percent to 27 percent lead over former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in Missouri, with Romney running third at 25 percent. The margin of error was 3.4 percentage points.
    "It looks like a big day for McCain with Romney making a last stand in California," Zogby said.
    The two launched hard-hitting attack ads on Monday questioning each other's conservative credentials before the vote.
    McCain won the last two contests, in South Carolina and Florida, to seize the front-runner's slot in a hard-fought Republican race despite qualms among some conservatives about his views on taxes, immigration and campaign finance.
    More than half of the total Democratic delegates and about 40 percent of the Republican delegates are up for grabs on Tuesday.
    The Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby rolling tracking poll surveyed presidential races in both parties in California, New Jersey and Missouri. The polls also looked at the Republican race in New York and the Democratic race in Georgia.
    The rolling polls were taken Saturday through Monday, except for the California survey, which was a two-day poll on Sunday and Monday. In a rolling poll, the most recent day's results are added while the oldest day's results are dropped in order to track changing momentum.
    (Editing by Patricia Zengerle)
    (For more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at blogs.reuters.com/trail08/)
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

What a hell of surprise to the polsters if on Wednesday it is Hillary who has won?

My pick for California - Hillary!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Hillary did win there and big too.

Comment

hillary won california because many had already voted before tuesday... the poll did not take that into consideration...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          Hillary did win there and big too.
          Forget the polls...but, the talking heads 99.999999999999999+% of the time spout pure negative stuff on Hillary.

She is polarizing?!

My response is; Considering her achievements in winning New York (twice overwhelmingly);

...her record in the Senate (working with many different persons, including Republicans to drive bills);

...and, up to and after this Super Tuesday (she garnered more votes than any other candidate - Republican or Democrat) ;

...who the hell is saying she is polarizing?

...It appears a tremendous number of persons think she is anything but polarizing?

Nonsense argument!

As to Obama's assertion - "I will get her votes, but she will not get mine!"?

Total unaldulterated crap...to add to some of the crappy thinking on some of his plans!

The fact is most democrats, including self, shall vote for the Democratic candidate come November. Willing to bet that would be 99.999999999999% of us. It would be, in my opinion a crazy Democrat that would take a chance on having any of those Republicans enter the Whitehouse in 2009.

Finally look at the red states Obama has won and the numbers.

Firstly I do not think we democrats have as much of a chance as a snowball in hell of winning those states come the November presidential elections.

Secondly - We need to revisit the size of the Republican votes in those states in the last elections...and look at Obama's totals added to the total votes all the republican candidates got. Compute the difference and draw inferences.

I have not looked at the figures...but, I am think it could be that Obama got votes that will go to the Republicans come the November Elections. I am not saying that is what happened because as I have said I have not looked at the numbers. ...but, could it not be that in RED STATES...considering the conservatives have real problems with Romney and McCain that it was considered wise to get the candidate they consider the greater challenge to their party out of the way? ...thus throwing at this time their votes to Obama?

I know Baddaz, Lazie and others will post the figures and tell me why I am 'reaching'!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
            hillary won california because many had already voted before tuesday... the poll did not take that into consideration...
            Must be a hell of a surprise to the 'talking heads'!

Comment

On CNN - Obama stepped away from that silly - Hillary will not get his votes. I only caught this -"I am not saying Hillary Clinton's supporters or my supporters hate each other...". Never caught the rest. Am sure it shall be replayed
              Last edited by Karl; February 6, 2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

The most I know is that
                Cali is a key state in the electorial College. I will
                just watch how it all plays out.

Comment

Working...
                X