RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSC - Observer EDITORIAL: Why this animosity towards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSC - Observer EDITORIAL: Why this animosity towards...

Why this animosity towards Professor Vasciannie?

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Professor Stephen Vasciannie must have wronged somebody in this Government in a previous life. For little else can explain what appears to be the genesis of a campaign to deny him the opportunity to serve his country.

The issue of the Government's objections to the Public Service Commission's (PSC's) recommendation that Professor Vasciannie be appointed solicitor-general has been well ventilated in the media.
    Quite frankly, we see very little merit in the argument advanced by the attorney-general about the strength of Professor Vasciannie's litigation skills, given our understanding that such skills, while necessary, are not the most important required for the job.

In fact, we have been reliably informed that Professor Vasciannie's strengths in other areas of law, which are vital to this position, supersede those of the other deputy solicitors-general who had applied for the job.
    That, plus his administrative skills and other assets, we are told, influenced the recommendation of the now fired members of the PSC.

As we have said before in this space, the Government has handled this issue poorly and should not, therefore, expect anyone to swallow its charge of misbehaviour by the PSC in the case regarding Mr Lackston Robinson as the reason for the dismissal of the PSC members.

For it is clear to us that there is some degree of animosity towards Professor Vasciannie inside the administration. The reason, as far as we can detect, is still a mystery, as we refuse to believe that his criticism of Mr Bruce Golding's return to the Jamaica Labour Party is at the root of this reluctance to work with the professor.

This is simply not the way of Prime Minister Golding who, on assuming office last September, stated unequivocally that his administration will only have a problem with civil servants when they are not performing their jobs.

We therefore find it troubling that this Government could so abruptly drop Professor Vasciannie from the chair of the Air Policy Committee.
    Professor Vasciannie, as we reported in this week's Sunday Observer, succeeded Dr Kenneth Rattray in 2005 and has done what many in the civil service have acknowledged was an excellent job on a committee which offers no financial rewards.

Under his watch, the committee has completed and signed air services agreements with the United Kingdom, Chile, and Brazil. An agreement negotiated with Mexico in June 2007 is awaiting signature, and the committee had also started a new round of talks with the UK regarding amendments to the existing agreement.

The committee had also completed two rounds of negotiations with the Federal Republic of Germany towards an agreement that will reflect aspects of European Union policies on air transportation; was set to enter into negotiations with Spain for an agreement, and had explored possible talks with South Africa.

The permanent secretary in the Ministry of Transport and Works, Mr Alwin Hales, in his letter informing Professor Vasciannie of the termination of his service, thanked the professor for his "tremendous contribution to the development of Jamaica's air policy". Mr Hales went further, saying that he was confident that the work done by Professor Vasciannie "will be a pillar on which the new committee will be able to build".

That is not the kind of commendation that is given to someone who is being axed for doing a poor job. The administration therefore needs to tell the country why it has taken these decisions on Professor Vasciannie. Is it that the prime minister, the chief servant, believes that he is above criticism, or is it that his underlings hold that view?
    Last edited by Karl; February 6, 2008, 01:04 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

When the pro-Bruce Golding government Observer can be forced to come out and speak to this issue...maybe Comment, Lazie and BenJ can come awake to the realisation that in both PNP and JLP there are deadwood and wasters that need to be jettisoned!

A principle that I think for progress each party must buy into - I may not like you, but I can and shall work with you!

Bruce needs to look to the termites in his own brain!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Funny ... unuh jump down bruce's throat bout the PSC ... only for a former member of the PSC to state that he was correct in his actions. I do not have the full story on this so I'll stick a pin. What yuh must address is the latest regarding the bulb issue.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        Funny ... unuh jump down bruce's throat bout the PSC ... only for a former member of the PSC to state that he was correct in his actions. I do not have the full story on this so I'll stick a pin. What yuh must address is the latest regarding the bulb issue.
        So if Bruce throws ten persons off a roof and one up and claims it was the right thing to do we must automatically agree? Sangster is wrong on this!

Time shall prove Bruce was wrong. ...I am not looking forward to appointments coming out of Bruce's new "illegal FSC" ...FSC formed outside of the parameters laid down in our Constitution...being overturned and or declared "null and void" and ramifications steming therefrom but I can see it coming.

Bruce's actions here...are stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          So if Bruce throws ten persons off a roof and one up and claims it was the right thing to do we must automatically agree? Sangster is wrong on this!

Time shall prove Bruce was wrong. ...I am not looking forward to appointments coming out of Bruce's new "illegal FSC" ...FSC formed outside of the parameters laid down in our Constitution...being overturned and or declared "null and void" and ramifications steming therefrom but I can see it coming.

Bruce's actions here...are stupid!
          As mi say .. address the bulb issue and stop waste time. There are those that were interested in fulfilling the promise of a nightmare.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

if 10 then 2....is it possible that the 4 members may have their own agenda?

people always assume that if one person is "right" the other is wrong" ... chuss mi, in my line of work i have seen where BOTH sides are wrong.

the fact that one of them says it was justified opens a door to speculate on their agenda much the same as one may seculate about sangster's agenda or even the pm.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              if 10 then 2....is it possible that the 4 members may have their own agenda?

people always assume that if one person is "right" the other is wrong" ... chuss mi, in my line of work i have seen where BOTH sides are wrong.

the fact that one of them says it was justified opens a door to speculate on their agenda much the same as one may seculate about sangster's agenda or even the pm.
              What agenda would they have that they were not following previous to this particular appointment? Should we believe that they just chose this one instance to table and act on a 'deceitful'...morally corrupt...agenda?
              ...possible but most unlikely!

Comment

truth can be stranger than fiction sometimes.

anyway, i'm prepared to watch and wait for the outcome...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

truth can be stranger than fiction sometimes.

anyway, i'm prepared to watch and wait for the outcome...
                  Like you...I am an outsider and do not have all facts...but, it rubs me raw! That FSC entity is a very important one for/to the country.

Comment

PSC...the FSC is important too however!

Comment

I thought he was talking about Fox Soccer Channel.

Comment

well DAT is really imprtant ... especially tiddeh!!!

Comment

Meant the FSC
                          ...that PSC is also very, very important!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                            I thought he was talking about Fox Soccer Channel.

Comment

Working...
                            X